navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #46 » The Beast Below
Open Poetry #46
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Beast Below Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Kit McCallum
Administrator
Member Laureate
since 2000-04-30
Posts 14774
Ontario, Canada

0 posted 2010-06-12 12:09 PM

The Beast Below

Hiding just beneath the surface,
Simmering beyond our view,
Lies a cruel and heartless creature
Known to those unlucky few.

Origins are vast and many,
Born from death or loss in kind,
Loyal to its owner’s heartache,
Nurtured by their ties that bind.

Fostered by “if only’s” sorrow,
Haunted by “what ifs” and “whys”,
Nourished by the endless mem’ries
Where it grows beneath their cries.

Fleeting moments drown its hunger
When the pain has been withdrawn,
Momentarily forgotten,
Though the beast is never gone.

Dark and callous, there it lingers
Feeding off its vessel’s grief,
Poised to pounce at any instant
Should the owner find relief.

/Kit McCallum

© Copyright 2010 Kit McCallum - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2010-06-12 12:16 PM

This can cross many reasons, seasons and sounds, our Kit. Personally, I can place this poem at my husband's feet and say, walk carefully, as he treads the floorboards of chemo treatment. It's a tenuous time, but we know he will come out of it better, healthier, and dare I say a changed man. Thank you for this.

Amaryllis
since 2010-05-20
Posts 1306
Mi now
2 posted 2010-06-12 12:25 PM

This is amazing, so very well written, I really enjoyed.. thank you for sharing it!
~Amaryllis

Richy
Member Elite
since 2003-05-03
Posts 3050

3 posted 2010-06-12 01:40 PM

Dear Kit,

Your rhymers are impeccable, not a single, dot dah dot dah out of place. Even shortening memories, to mem'ries to make the sylable count fit.

Everytime you treat us to one of your beautiful poems, they become workshops for all to learn by, and for future students of the writing arts to marvel, and study over.

And not just the technical perfection either at all, the content is so rich and meaningful, nothing forced whatsoever just to make it work, and fit. You have that rare talent to find the words, out of all them out there, to seem like they were born to stand together, side by side, in this arrangement, to not only tell their story, but to, sing it, melodiously as well.

I started out writing rhyme exclusively, and always loved the challenge that you have so perfected in works of art like this, but, I crossed over, to the dark side, of freestyle, with all of its own unique advantages.

When I read a poem like this, it just takes me back to my roots, and reminds me how fun the puzzle of writing can be with rhyme.

To write something so substantial and harmonius both at the same time.

Wonderful, wonderful piece of work here that you should be so proud of.

I will always remember this haven as the place where I really got my scribblin chops, reading great rhyming poets, like you, and Balladeer, and Toe, and Long John and many, many others, as well as all the other wonderful writers here who write in their own exclusinve style.

Thank you for being such a big part of this place. We all owe you and many others so much for always being here, and providing us with this great little place that has stood the test of time, when so many other things we used to count on, have fallen by the wayside.

Sorry for the novel

By the way, your profile picture looks amazing!

Richard xx

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

4 posted 2010-06-12 04:59 PM

I guess everbody has a beast...mine has revealed herself to many, on many occasions.

I've always read scripture metaphorically, so your poem here is special to me, as it's always been my belief that Armageddon is a personal trial,and the idea of "the beast in the temple" is very much as you describe here as we wrestle with our primal fears and resulting emotional reaction through the mind.

I've considered that to slay the beast would be a self violent act, so perhaps maybe I can tame her a bit, as I learn to forgive myself as I come to understand myself, extending forgiveness to others, since I am ever in need of forgiveness myself, knowing full well that some people may never forgive me is truly punishment enough for someone like me, as my emotions are so very close to the surface I stopped trying to hide them because that was pure futility. And I too, apologize for the novel and the run-on sentence.

Talent, beauty and brains! Nature is indeed the ultimate artist when it produces the likes of YOU.

Your writing is ever immaculate, Kit.

Much love to you.   

Enchantress
Member Empyrean
since 2001-08-14
Posts 35113
Canada eh.
5 posted 2010-06-12 07:23 PM

Kit~Since all the superlatives have been used..
may I just ditto Richy..

You have a unique style and grace all your own.

Beautifully penned.

Hugs~Nancy

Oklahoma Rose
since 2008-02-28
Posts 1586
Oklahoma USA
6 posted 2010-06-12 09:23 PM

I have always enjoyed reading your work Kit. This is beautiful as always.
crosscountry83
since 2009-07-30
Posts 345

7 posted 2010-06-12 09:27 PM

Everyone has already said most of everything; Your words expand the substance of an experience to anyone. It reads unbelievably eloquently as well. Thanks for posting this for us to read.

Rileigh

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
8 posted 2010-06-12 09:59 PM

Quite a write, Kit. This poem could apply to many things, from disease to the oil spill crisis happening now, which was actually my guess at the beginning.

As always, the style is impeccibly KIT...which means perfection in my book. Well done, as always....

Andrew Scott
Member Elite
since 1999-06-24
Posts 2558
Redlands,CA,USA
9 posted 2010-06-12 11:57 PM

I was thinking regret... a beast that often lies hidden and feeds on the "what ifs" of our lives. I bow to you and yours.

"We'll chase them like rats across the tundra."

Alison
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-27
Posts 9318
Lumpy oatmeal makes me crazy!
10 posted 2010-06-12 11:58 PM

.. and I think ... this is how I would love to write ... then I simply get caught in the words and how they touch me.

That is what poetry is all about (to me).

A

LindsayP
Member Elite
since 2007-07-28
Posts 3410
Australia, Victoria
11 posted 2010-06-13 09:57 PM

Dear Kit I'm another one who would like to
say ditto to Richy's wise words for you

have written it in impeccable style.
A real delight to read. God bless and take care.

Lindsay

Kit McCallum
Administrator
Member Laureate
since 2000-04-30
Posts 14774
Ontario, Canada
12 posted 2010-06-14 07:25 AM

Thank you soooooo very much everyone.  

I wanted to let you know that I was talking to a friend last week, who encouraged me to get back to my writing and I can’t thank him enough. I started writing on my lunch hours again like I used to do in the old days, and it felt good to get some of my thoughts out ... it’s been a while.

I simply cannot thank you "each" of you enough for all of the lovely comments you wrote above.  My goodness, I don’t know what to say.

Each comment was so wonderful to hear and so very encouraging.  Reading these helped me to return to another writing project I’ve had on the go for some time now and it felt delightful over the weekend to be working on it again.  I’m not sure I would have had the courage to pick up the pen and tackle it again, if I hadn’t received such wonderful comments from everyone here.  

Thank you again so much everyone.  You are an amazing group of people and I do love you dearly.  

With much appreciation,
/Kit

Richy
Member Elite
since 2003-05-03
Posts 3050

13 posted 2010-06-14 04:45 PM

"You are an amazing group of people and I do love you dearly."

Same here Kit, from all of us!!!

SlowlyFallAway
since 2008-08-29
Posts 279
North Carolina
14 posted 2010-06-15 03:11 AM

"Fostered by “if only’s” sorrow,
Haunted by “what ifs” and “whys”"

Loved it with a passion.
Good job :-)

(Hindsight is 20/20)

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
15 posted 2010-07-04 05:47 PM

Well all that could be said has been said, so this is to be felt.

vandana
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Patricius
since 1999-10-22
Posts 10463
USA
16 posted 2010-07-05 12:09 PM

enjoyed
Eldest
since 2010-06-15
Posts 177
Alabama
17 posted 2010-07-05 06:11 PM

I have no "if only's" but I know this beast very, very well
Marchmadness
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 9271
So. El Monte, California
18 posted 2010-07-11 04:48 AM

Very well done, Kit. Your wisdom is showing.
                                      Ida

brian thomas madden
since 2010-07-08
Posts 32
Ireland (between an ocean and a rock)
19 posted 2010-07-12 06:24 PM

"Dark and callous, there it lingers
Feeding off its vessel’s grief,
Poised to pounce at any instant
Should the owner find relief."

powerful writing Kit. Enjoyed the poem.

Lisann
since 2001-01-31
Posts 350

20 posted 2010-08-09 12:58 PM

I have truly missed your writing Kit and very happy to see you back.  Looking forward to more from you as your inspiring pieces have got me through some dark days. Thank you once again my friend
passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
21 posted 2010-08-09 01:07 AM

wow

powerful piece and a long time coming

great to see you back here again

Alison
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-27
Posts 9318
Lumpy oatmeal makes me crazy!
22 posted 2011-01-11 02:04 AM

This poem deserves a second, third and more read.

A

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #46 » The Beast Below

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary