navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #47 » to plant a tree
Open Poetry #47
Post A Reply Post New Topic to plant a tree Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
2islander2
Member Ascendant
since 2008-03-12
Posts 6825
by the sea

0 posted 2011-12-11 10:31 AM

I would so much have liked planting it thousands,
weeping willows in the meadows,
the orange trees in the heart of sugar,
oaks and poplars populated
with insects and with itches,

Baobabs on distant planets,
I would have liked planting dromedaries
on indifferent sands of my country,
and the sun in the eyes which get lost,
a sequoia in every corner of street,

I would have liked populating all the beautiful earth
of Japanese cherry trees and kisses,
but you will be all the left trees
all the flowery and rooted trees,

This morning I planted my first tree
a magnolia in the white flowers,
flowers to perfume the lazy books
a hope for winning over the deserts.

© Copyright 2011 yann rolland - All Rights Reserved
Marchmadness
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 9271
So. El Monte, California
1 posted 2011-12-11 12:11 PM

A very admirable ambition, yann. Have you ever heard of Johnny Appleseed. (One of my childhood heros)He was a pioneer who went around planting apple trees here in the states.
                                Ida

Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
2 posted 2011-12-13 05:26 PM

Wow, dear Yann, this is one of the most significant, precious, beautiful poems I have read in a long time. I am with you.

I will keep this, so that I can read it again.

Just today while cooking I suddenly heard the sinister sound of a saw and hurried on the balcony to see what was going on and indeed two men were intent in truncating the trees and plants down in the street. They cut such an incredible quantity of branches of the beautiful Oleander ... I thought they exaggerated. But then they went on to MY tuya (which I had transferred there from my balcony, when it had grown too high)  and when I saw the man bending down and sawing almost at the ground level I began to scream "Stop, that's my tuya"! One of the men said "I don't hear you". Of course the noise was terrible, but he didn't WANT to listen to me. I screamed louder and made a face that he couldn't ignore! They said one big shoot was dry and was dangerous. When it fell, I could see that there were two big green branches on it! Anyway they saw my concern and stopped torturing the tuya. Since they have cut the wonderful healthy pine tree right in front of our building I panic every time I hear the saw...

Thank you, dear Yann, for this outstanding poem.

Margherita

2islander2
Member Ascendant
since 2008-03-12
Posts 6825
by the sea
3 posted 2011-12-14 02:59 PM

hello ida, i never heard of apple seed but i will surely have a look soon, thanks for the comment and the tip,

yann

2islander2
Member Ascendant
since 2008-03-12
Posts 6825
by the sea
4 posted 2011-12-14 03:03 PM

thanks a lot margherita for the very interesting and supportive comment, I envy you to live in roma in south and sun, the story you relate to is a precious and significant one, and it happens in france too, to love the trees is to love human i guess, our fates are tied,

have a very nice day

yann

Nicole
since 1999-06-23
Posts 1835
Florida
5 posted 2011-12-14 06:24 PM

Japanese Cherry and Magnolias are two of my favorites; it is so hard to try to pick any "one" though.  I enjoyed this, thank you.
2islander2
Member Ascendant
since 2008-03-12
Posts 6825
by the sea
6 posted 2011-12-15 03:09 AM

thanks you nicole, they are among my favorites too, but roots of japanese cherry are a mess for gardens, it is so important to plant trees,

yann

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
7 posted 2011-12-17 03:28 AM

Yann, congratulations on the birth of your magnolia!  When we bought a house two years after we were married, my husband planted a magnolia outside our bedroom window because, having white flowers, it blooms and exudes its glorious perfume at night.  Sadly we were divorced 5 years later, so I don't know if the magnolia is still there.

Margherita, I ache for you and the murdered trees and your mutiliated Tuya child.  I have never heard of a Tuya, but I understand eXACtly what you went through.

Owl

2islander2
Member Ascendant
since 2008-03-12
Posts 6825
by the sea
8 posted 2011-12-17 08:42 AM

hello diana, thanks for the anecdoct, anecdocts are salt of life, i loved yours a lot even if is ended sadfully, are men and women made for mariage, the question is valuable still when we plant a magnolia,

have a nice day

yann

secondhanddreampoet
Member Ascendant
since 2006-11-07
Posts 6394
a 'Universalist' !
9 posted 2011-12-18 01:45 PM

fine thoughts and imagery !
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #47 » to plant a tree

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary