navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #47 » I'm Through
Open Poetry #47
Post A Reply Post New Topic I'm Through Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Gunslinger
since 1999-10-09
Posts 901
TX, USA

0 posted 2011-11-05 12:59 PM

You know? I’ve found that writing-
Has an ill effect on me.
It takes me where I should not go-
Shows things I must not see.

It brings back ghosts I’ve lain to rest,
And thoughts I’ve held in check.
And threatens all I have and am...
And bodes my life to wreck.

Strange that it can grow so real-
And so effect my mind...
To make me want to drop, and go,
And leave my life behind.

To try and live a life again-
That oft I nearly lost...
To think that I was young, back then-
I’m glad I weighed the cost.

So for my preservation-
I’ll put away my pens...
But thought I’d chance this missal-
And bid goodbye to friends.

So to you artists, one and all.
I bid a fond adieu-
And hang my weapons on the wall,
Alas, at last...I’m through.

© Copyright 2011 John R. Yaws - All Rights Reserved
OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
1 posted 2011-11-05 02:53 AM

Please don't go, John.  We enjoy sharing your stories and thoughts and your interesting life too much.  

You talk about living a life - it's when we stop feeling - be it sad, glad or mad - that we stop living.  The sadness from the past is part of the wisdom of today.  Nobody can be truly happy all of the time, but the ones of us who live the most, in my humble opinion, are the ones who let the feelings flow.  Sometimes we think we are sad in remembering the past, but some of those times, we are receiving comfort from the pain and the strength and will to go on.  

Owl

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
2 posted 2011-11-05 03:38 AM

Once again, Owl said it all.I also feel we need to bring the past up in only in our mind. Sometimes things seem different then because have lived we learned so much more.jo
Please do not put your pen away.

suthern
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
3 posted 2011-11-06 04:18 PM

So for my preservation-
I’ll put away my pens...
But thought I’d chance this missal-
And bid goodbye to friends.

It's true we often resurrect ghosts as we write and the scab picking can obliterate comfort... but I'm not sure a poet's grip of pen is altogether voluntary. *S*

I hope this is just another wonderful poem and not your intention... but if it is farewell, thank you for all the wonderful poetry you've shared with us... and know the welcome mat is always out for your return.

Either way... (((HUGS))) to you.

Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
4 posted 2011-11-06 06:20 PM

I hope this isn't truly a good-bye.  I say this from one battlescarred veteran to another, don't put them pens down... It's never worth it.  

My writing has a way of pulling down into a darkness I have all my life tried to escape.  I have sworn never to write again, and truly have come close a time or two... but not to write is not to live.  And what you have lived, friend, is magical in the sight of others.  I have never passed up reading a 'Gunslinger' poem.  I hope none are ever kept from me willingly.

Michael

easy1
since 2010-05-22
Posts 1209
Southeastern USA
5 posted 2011-11-19 02:37 AM

Your penning is good, if I am any judge of that...

and as Socrates is reputed to have said (in Greek, one supposes), the unexamined life is not worth living. (emphasis added)

Thought to make a comment about riding off into the sunset, but re-thought better of it. I hope you do post more poems because I enjoy reading them.

From the diffused light of December blinks on a Tannenbaum. Shazam!

Marchmadness
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 9271
So. El Monte, California
6 posted 2011-11-19 02:47 AM

I do hope you will reconsider, John.
                                   ida

nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
7 posted 2011-11-19 08:06 AM

As always since the beginning, I have enjoyed your words and thoughts. As time goes on, and aging continues, I find myself caught up in "what ifs" and "what nows" and acceptance of "what is"...and wait for the next words that rise in me to share...  sometimes with  a longer lapse in time than wished.

I hope to continue reading your and others for many years to come.

and my best to you.

M

Alison
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-27
Posts 9318
Lumpy oatmeal makes me crazy!
8 posted 2011-11-22 12:28 PM

From the botton of my heart, thank you, John.

Alison

Klassy Lassy
Member Elite
since 2005-06-28
Posts 2187
Oregon
9 posted 2011-11-22 01:21 AM

I think I've missed a lot, not knowing your poetry. I like the fluency of your thoughts,even though it is sad to read "goodbye".  I agree with the above poets, writing is a worthy pastime and you can do like I do, through out the thoughts that make you grieve and mine the gems of your heart.     ~ Klassy
JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
10 posted 2011-11-22 06:40 PM

Fine writing as always...my attitude is... if you must write, than write,  if you don't want to write, don't...tomorrow brings new thoughts....James
HiddenHero
since 2011-11-04
Posts 10
BC, Canada
11 posted 2011-11-22 07:34 PM

I wish I had your skill with the world's greatest weapon - the pen. To think this could be when a true warrior lays down his weapon and leaves the field of battle, this also creates sadness.

The Hero Hidden Within Us All!

ebonygirl
Member Elite
since 2011-07-14
Posts 2000
California U.S.A
12 posted 2011-11-23 05:05 PM

Dear Gunslinger,
What you say is sooo true!
Live your life... but come back every once in a while for a visit. With appreciation,
Ms. e

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #47 » I'm Through

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary