navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #47 » Poetry's a B!tch
Open Poetry #47
Post A Reply Post New Topic Poetry's a B!tch Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
pen&paper
since 2006-06-06
Posts 513

0 posted 2011-09-19 08:36 PM

I wish you could understand-
You who look upon my words, my thoughts with disdain-
That it is a human soul here preserved
    That of a woman still very much a little girl
    Who cannot go back...and has accepted this.

I love you, Reader.
I hope against your hate
But, if it be the case,
I pray for a resipiscence
And hope you understand my meaning

I'm not sure I do.

Poetry's a b!tch, ain't it?
You don't know what the author meant
And your insrtuctors foolishly assume they do
That she did!

Maybe she did not know and
Those fragmented lines
And pieces of emotion
Are simply her prayer that
She won't be written off
And someone will attempt to understand
Someone will love her
Someone will share her passion
And her feeling.

© Copyright 2011 Cierra L. Robbeloth - All Rights Reserved
OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
1 posted 2011-09-20 02:00 AM

This is my second attempt at replying.  Didn't notice your ! instead of the i and a message came up to say that B!tch wasn't acceptable and asterisks would replace the word, and I think I pressed the wrong button so my reply didn't appear.

I think that this is a magnificent follow-on poem to Numbers and confirms everything I said in my reply to Numbers.  

Changing from the 1st person to the 3rd person in the last stanza is brilliant - the personal level of sensitivity and vulnerability were just too great to write it in the 1st person, though your courage is still evident in that you made no attempt to disguise that it was about you as well.  

I feel that Numbers and Poetry's a B!tch form a perfect duo and that they should be kept together in that order - just my humble opinion.

Having discovered another poet of the first water, I am now off to read Hands.  I have great expectations (not of Pip and Miss Haversham, but of poetry par excellence), and I know I won't be disappointed.

Owl

pen&paper
since 2006-06-06
Posts 513

2 posted 2011-09-20 02:19 AM

Thank you.  

I truly lost my nerve in the last stanza...couldn't admit even on paper that those feelings were mine.

Transparent, am I not?

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
3 posted 2011-09-20 02:38 AM

No, it wasn't a case of losing your nerve, but knowing your limit of displaying vulnerability and taking the step of self-protection which is an important aspect of expressing yourself.  

Not transparent, no.  Succeeding in making your feelings understood, which is what the poem is about exactly.  

I believe that everyone (of course I may be wrong and it may only be almost everyone) who reads this poem and Numbers will relate to them 100% - now if that isn't making yourself clear and speaking on behalf of every poet and non-poet, then I don't know what is.  The clarity you have achieved in here - and done so very poetically - is admirable - which is NOT to say that poetry that is obscure doesn't have an equal place in the diversified treasure trove of poetry that exists.

Owl

Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
4 posted 2011-09-20 07:56 AM

quote:
That of a woman still very much a little girl

Nothing more needs to be said. That's a graceful affirmation and explains the longing to be understood.

You are understood.

Good stuff!

Love,
Margherita

JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
5 posted 2011-09-23 10:16 PM

This is one poem I certainly had no problem understand, although I do have that not-picking problem from time to time. Write on! I share your passion for words, and I have been maligned from time to time myself, so I "get" where you are coming from

~~ Those who are silent are the first to be shot. ~~

icebox
Member Elite
since 2003-05-03
Posts 4383
in the shadows
6 posted 2011-09-24 11:33 AM

Yes...it is.

We write because we have to write

We post because we choose post.

We read because we seek reflections not yet seen within ourselves.

Poetry is a world wherein IWIWT becomes the highest praise.

Namyh
since 2009-01-20
Posts 988

7 posted 2011-09-24 07:06 PM

pen&paper - It isn't blood that flows in the poet's veins. It's ink. Your pen was flowing from the heart and I'm glad you spilled some here. Intriguing work P&P. Namyh
pen&paper
since 2006-06-06
Posts 513

8 posted 2011-10-01 10:45 PM

Thank you so much, everyone, for your kind thoughts and input.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #47 » Poetry's a B!tch

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary