navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #47 » Mission in the Sun - Haibun
Open Poetry #47
Post A Reply Post New Topic Mission in the Sun - Haibun Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana

0 posted 2011-08-29 08:58 AM

Haibun

Haibun is a combination of prose strong in imagery and at least
one haiku. The prose in a haibun is trimmed to its essence just
as a haiku is composed of few words chosen for their particular
meaning. A haibun relates a journey, whether the travels are a
physical exploration of the world or an internal journey of
discovery. Often haibun contain a revelation or epiphany obtained
through experience. The prose can reflect fragmented thoughts or
complete sentences, but the sentences are tight with all the
words serving a purpose. It is important to note that a haibun is
not a short story.

In this I took my three main characters of the novel, "Mission in the Sun," I will soon be writing and incorporated them in the haibun. I hope you will enjoy.

The fire inside burns
It must be tended to now
Taking the first step

Sometimes a girl knows when she needs to run. It's that time for Storm. Storm is fourteen. She has had thirty-eight-inch breasts since she was thirteen. She hasn't been a virgin since she was eleven. As she stood in the gravel road watching the house she grew up in burn to the ground she was dry-eyed. She had cried about one thing or another for most of her young life. Tonight marked a new beginning for Storm. The woman who raised her and her twenty-five-year-old son were inside the house being burned alive. They were no longer screaming. The woman's name was Victoria and she treated Storm badly. Her son was named Floyd and he'd used her sexually since her eleventh birthday with the knowledge and consent of his mother. Victoria kept Eve on the pill. Storm was never told how she came to live at the house she was watching burn. She had, however, learned early on that she was a bastard child. She also learned that bastard children were the scum of the earth and was supposed to be treated badly. Storm never questioned that line of thinking until about a year ago.

A street otter he
Living by his skill and wit
Snake is slippery

Snake was small. He was thin, and he was wiry. He was able to crawl into places most people wouldn't want to go into in the first place. That was the reason people started calling him Snake. To Snake being small and thin meant survival. Because of his smallness he was vulnerable. But like real snakes in the wild he had his dens. Places he could scurry to in the event of danger. Danger, to Snake had many faces. Cops were definitely dangerous. They would send him back to the home and once there he would never leave until he was eighteen, if then. Snake was twelve. Danger also came from almost anyone he met on the street. That's why Snake moved in the night and slept through the day, because there were less people on the street. Which meant the opportunities for problems for Snake wasn't as bad as it was at night. Although the people who were on the street at night were usually up to no good. Snake's life was better eating out of garbage cans and making the street scene than it was at the home. There he was too old for adoption and most people overlooked him when they were looking for foster kids. Something about his eyes, his demeanor. Snake looked like his name, untrustworthy. That mean the staff had given up on him. He always thought they'd never really not given up on him. Again. It was his appearance. Snaky looking.

Truck has a problem
A hero but knows it naught
A daughter awaits

Truck has a bald spot on the left side of his head. No hair grew there because of the operations he'd had to endure to try and bring back his memory. Three operation. Three failures. He called himself Truck because that's what they said he kept telling them when he was brought in with severe trauma to the head. He was found wandering around a downtown street, bloody from a massive head wound. Truck would like to hunt whoever did that to him and kill him. But first he had a calling. He had walked away from the facility. He'd been there many years, even he didn't know how many. He walked away from it because they had given up on him They had transferred him to what Truck called the loony ward and kept him medicated so he wouldn't be a bother. He knew if he didn't leave he would grow old and die there.

~ I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me. ~

[This message has been edited by JerryPat2 (08-29-2011 10:40 AM).]

© Copyright 2011 Jerry Pat Bolton - All Rights Reserved
Lori Grosser Rhoden
Member Patricius
since 2009-10-10
Posts 10202
Fair to middlin' of nowhere
1 posted 2011-08-29 09:39 AM

Oh man! Jerry I was really getting into it and it ended..you tease you! Well, they say always leave them wanting more...and you did!
Lori

JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
2 posted 2011-08-29 09:44 AM

Lori, I am so happy that you liked this. When you try new venues for your poetry sometimes it doesn't go over as well as maybe it should. So, again, thank you for your positive comments.

Dr.Moose1
Member Elite
since 1999-09-05
Posts 3448
Bewilderment , USA
3 posted 2011-08-29 10:34 AM

JerryPat2,
A very compelling read.
Doc

JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
4 posted 2011-08-29 10:45 AM

Thank you very much, Doc, it is appreciated.

JL
Member Ascendant
since 2004-04-01
Posts 6128
Texas, USA
5 posted 2011-08-31 01:40 PM

I must agree with #1 and add interesting.

haiku?

God bless you...

JL

Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul,and with all your mind. Love your neighbor as yourself.
Maranatha!

JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
6 posted 2011-08-31 01:48 PM

Thanks, JL for dragging this back up.

Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
7 posted 2011-09-01 06:09 PM

Very interesting, dear Jerry. The title is promising as are the characters you outlined. With such backgrounds life's path isn't easy, but as you speak of a mission, I trust justice will be made.

A difficult task this haibun, judging from your description, but you certainly showed that you master it.

Love,
Margherita

JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
8 posted 2011-09-01 06:11 PM

Thank you for reading and commenting on my poem, Margherita, but I am no longer a participant here at PiP. Thank you again.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #47 » Mission in the Sun - Haibun

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary