navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #45 » Jabberboxy (Just in time for Halloween)
Open Poetry #45
Post A Reply Post New Topic Jabberboxy (Just in time for Halloween) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Lighthousebob
Member Elite
since 2000-06-14
Posts 4725
California

0 posted 2009-10-14 06:14 PM

Inspired by and formatted like Lewis Carroll’s very famous nonsensical poem, Jabberwocky

Jabberboxy
by Robert E. Michaud Jr.

‘Twas dusky and the slimy toads
did poach and plummet in the stew,
All whimsical were ostrich lobes,
and wild rats impish too.

Beware the Jabberbox, my son!
The curly locks, the lashes long!
Beware of words before begun
to masquerade as song!

He brought the putrid spoon to mouth:
He sought the most revolting smooch—
So, there, did he, neath swamp nut tree,
start foaming like a pooch.

And, as in rabid thought, he foamed,
the Jabberbox, with eyes of blue,
Threw back her tangled hair, once combed,
and rambled words that spewed ...

“Did this! Did that!” and, tit for tat,
the putrid spoon went splitter-splat!
He filled her lips, so, with deep sips,
she hushed her futile chat.

“Oh, did thou kiss the Jabberbox?”
Come tell me truth, mine lovesick boy!
“And did thou both sing tra-la-la
when potion was employed?”

‘Twas dusky and the slimy toads
did poach and plummet in the stew,
All whimsical were ostrich lobes,
and wild rats impish too.

[This message has been edited by Lighthousebob (10-15-2009 10:31 AM).]

© Copyright 2009 Robert E. Michaud Jr. - All Rights Reserved
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
1 posted 2009-10-14 07:38 PM

Well that was TERRIFIC!  Of course, Lewis Carroll is my all-time favorite storyteller.  I went to find a graphic of what I saw you were telling us, but this one sure stands on its own.  My grand kids are just going to love this one Bob.

Happy Hooting to you all down there!

p.s. Do you realize people actually eat toad stew?  Bleck!  

BluesSerenade
Member Patricius
since 2001-10-23
Posts 10549
By the Seaside
2 posted 2009-10-14 07:42 PM

Oh this is so much fun!!  
You are such a clever poet and such a delight to read.

Ravagence
since 2009-08-16
Posts 79

3 posted 2009-10-14 07:49 PM

That's really fun to read, the sad part is there's no-one for me to share it with
Lighthousebob
Member Elite
since 2000-06-14
Posts 4725
California
4 posted 2009-10-14 10:44 PM

Hoot! Hoot!

Thank you, smiles, Sharon, I do think that your Grandchildren will probably really enjoy this one, however, I actually wrote this poem to help me, myself, a bit to grasp reality in that, with my youngest, sixteen year old son in mind who is over six foot tall and handsome as all get out and, well, I know it won't be that much longer before the ol' love potion hits and, well, you know, as well as I do, a Chatterbox (Jabberbox) can't be that far behind.

God bless you and it’s always a pleasure to hear from you and a pleasure to get a bit more insight …

Toad stew! Can’t imagine, Yuck! Yuck! Yuck!

Oh, BluesSerenade by the seaside,

You’ve really left me quite dreamy-eyed because of your very cordial and commending comments.

Thank you!

Ravagence,

My Goodness! OMG! and Ouch! There must be Some kid? Any kid! Hurry, Grab a kid and Share this with him! Now!!! Just kiddin’ (get it) Hey, if you don’t have a child to share my poem with, that’s really alright by me. What I mean is, well, you’ve read my poem and, if it brought a snicker or something to your face, well, hey, I’m really, really very happy with that.

Thank you everyone for reading, for your kind replies and God bless,

-Bob

[This message has been edited by Lighthousebob (10-14-2009 11:26 PM).]

dragngrl28
since 2009-10-12
Posts 45
Texas, USA
5 posted 2009-10-14 11:29 PM

Absolutely loved it

I have a 14 yr old and I dread the day that he brings home a girlfriend. Lucky for me he is more into video games, roleplaying and riding his scooter. He says that girl are too much work

Lighthousebob
Member Elite
since 2000-06-14
Posts 4725
California
6 posted 2009-10-15 12:27 PM

dragngrl28 (Bobby),

Hey, I'm just glad you found it, and, but, Jeeeeeez, Absolutely loved it! Absolutely??? My Goodness, I'm now sitting on Cloud Nine, wherever that's at, anyway, this poem was inspired by a poem written about a young boy who fights a Dragon, but I thought the subject matter I used might, perhaps, be a bit more relevant at least to my life and, also, regretfully, the life of my 16 year old boy and, yes, I know exactly what you mean about your son, because my son is way too busy right now with all his friends of the same gender doing much of the same things that your son is doing and, also, has no time for girls, however, one of his best friends just started hanging out with a, hummmmm, special girl, so, hummmmm, I'm trying, trying my best to prepare myself for what appears to be the inevitable scary.

I'm really glad you could relate to this one and, as always, God bless,

-Bob

nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
7 posted 2009-10-15 06:56 AM

"“Did this! Did that!” and, tit for tat,
The putrid spoon went splitter-splat!
He filled her lips, so, with deep sips,
She hushed her futile chat."

just made me smile~~ and I wish you toads  of luck with your son in the future~~

(so much fun to read aloud)
M

suthern
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
8 posted 2009-10-16 04:08 PM

Great fun to read... I enjoyed this very much! *S*
AncientHippie
since 2009-10-15
Posts 411
Surfing the Cosmic Flow
9 posted 2009-10-16 09:20 PM

Lighthousebob.  So very well done.  What an excellent remake.  Could we please have a Walrus and the Carpenter next?
Namaste, Bob, and thanks again.

Sutra 2: Reflection is not solely that which we see in the mirror of Now, but is also the contemplation of why that image is.
--Jim's Guide to Enligh

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
10 posted 2009-10-16 09:46 PM

Enjoyed this!

Lighthousebob
Member Elite
since 2000-06-14
Posts 4725
California
11 posted 2009-10-17 05:46 PM

Maureen,

I'm sooooooo happy that you had fun with this poem and, of course, yes, much thanks in regards to your kind thoughts for me and my son. Thank you!

Suthern (small ‘s,’ Big Heart),

Big Smiles. I’m very, very glad that you enjoyed my poem.

Thank you.

AncientHippie from Nova Scotia,

WoW! A Walrus and the Carpenter?  Yes, of course, another wonderful, Wonderful Lewis Carroll favorite shining out through his brilliant Looking Glass and, WoW, what a Great challenge? Thank you for your confidence in me and thank you for reading and, so you know, I will, for sure, most certainly, have to try my hand at this one and, of course, again, I do express, in return for your’s, a most sincere greeting. Thank you.

Kacy,

I do always so enjoy getting one of those roly-poly things, hope you didn’t get your clothes too dirty rolling around though, and, also, knowing that you enjoyed my poem, well, of course, that meant a whole lot to me too. Thank you.

Thank you's and many God blesses to All,

-Bob

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #45 » Jabberboxy (Just in time for Halloween)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary