navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #42 » Why Nepali men don't smile
Open Poetry #42
Post A Reply Post New Topic Why Nepali men don't smile Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
kaile
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-02-06
Posts 5146
singapore

0 posted 2008-06-20 12:32 PM

he shrugs
his shoulders.

he, the dismissed
trishaw puller
hovering already
before Kathmandu Guest House,
before the city awakens
and blares its horns
to protest its oppressive life.

"Namaste"
"I give you ride round city?"

his plea is lost
in the swerve of bodies;
the tourists have
focused their eye
on colourful souvenirs
to conquer.

only his fellow pullers
hear him.
oftentimes, they
chit-chat to pass time.
are they sighing about
how hard to get money?
are they hopeful about
their new Republic?

perhaps they don't know themselves,
for their life
is as roller-coaster as
the elusive nice tourist
who hands them a fat tip.

"Namaste"
"I give you ride round city?'
another tourist  
avoids him.

he shrugs
his shoulders.

© Copyright 2008 heng kaile - All Rights Reserved
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
1 posted 2008-06-20 02:44 PM

One only you could write! THANK YOU, mon ami!
Robert E. Jordan
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-25
Posts 8541
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 posted 2008-06-20 03:44 PM

Kaile,

I’ve ridden many a trishaw in India, and China.  However, I was never a tourist, I always went for work.  Needless to say, I always tipped very well.  Tourists can be a pain in the neck.  I stay away from them.

Bobby

Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
3 posted 2008-06-20 03:50 PM

Very powerful realistic offering. They indeed don't have many reasons to smile, but still they need to find the will to smile when they ask the tourists if they want a ride.
To be avoided is something tremendous. How many times they get a no? Does one get used to these rejections? Is it the empty stomach that brings the courage to ask again and again?
May exploitation and oppression stop and may this country improve its political and economic situation.
Thank you.
Namaste
Margherita

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
4 posted 2008-06-20 04:51 PM

Kaile,
Long time no see! How wonderful to read your writing again. So, are you teaching? I have no exposure to overseas culture and so appreciate your friendship!

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane,
I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

XGarapanX
since 2008-06-19
Posts 1435
Antarctica
5 posted 2008-06-20 08:03 PM

Ah, an Asian flavor in the English tongue. As a hybrid, I delight in things both East and West, and this poem did not fail to delight. Exquisite writing, exquisite thoughts. Very earthy and down to the digs. Loved it!

·´~`·­»Garapan«­·´~`·

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
6 posted 2008-06-20 10:09 PM

We in the West
can't write like this
nor should you expect us to

So don't seek approval here;
after all what is it worth?

You are a good writer,
that's enough

John

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
7 posted 2008-06-20 10:26 PM

Huan Yi?! What possessed you to leave such an obnoxious comment on this fine write? Kaile is never arrogant about his writing abilities, or derisive about Westerners 'inability' to write such a piece.
Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
8 posted 2008-06-20 11:05 PM

Midnitesun

Did you actually bother
to read my comment?

I think not . . .

John

LindsayP
Member Elite
since 2007-07-28
Posts 3410
Australia, Victoria
9 posted 2008-06-20 11:35 PM

Kaile, you told a heart touching poem with that story my friend but I think a chap with a smile like yours would not get too many refusals. It was beautifully written, much enjoyed.

Lindsay

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
10 posted 2008-06-20 11:37 PM

Huan Yi, read your email.
OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
11 posted 2008-06-21 05:05 AM

Kaile, the tears are coursing down my cheeks - partly because of the excellence of your art, partly because of the beauty of your soul, partly because of the pain of the Nepali men's plight, partly because I know a similar plight though different in many ways, and the other parts of why I am crying I can't quite put a finger on.  

Your minimalist technique is superb.  I have never been to Nepal - well, not until today. Not only is your every word is "le mot juste" but it is exactly in the right spot for maximum effect (I especially love your first two and last two lines - the way you separated them into two lines each - and that you brought us back to the beginning of the poem with the last two lines - and all the implications that can be derived from that - aside from creating the perfect frame for the poem) and your every image is, to coin a phrase, "l'image juste".  

I can't be in here very often, and don't know how long I will have an Internet line if I don't get a job soon, but I will certainly look out for more of your poems in the Archives as I see you have made many posts and I am the poorer for only finding my first one of yours today.

I see from the replies that you are a teacher - presumably of English literature, and that your first love in literature is poetry.  

Thank you for this exquisite poem.

- Owl

kaile
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-02-06
Posts 5146
singapore
12 posted 2008-06-21 12:57 PM

hi all,

thanks for taking the time out to read and reply. was having writer's block for the greater part of two years, was adjusting to the ups and downs of a teacher's life, nothing seemed to inspire me, time has a knack of zooming faster once i hit my mid-20s. it's good to be writing again, albeit for a little while.

Huan Yi, I am not sure as to how you derived this impression? when i first started out writing, ya i wrote to seek affirmation (don't we all? ) but i think as time passed, i internalised the importance of writing for myself. anyway, thanks for the vote of confidence in my writing.

Owl, i teach the English Language, not Literature (we teach them as distinct subjects here in Singapore). i am enormously flattered with your reply. thanks for wanting to check out my past work. while i am not embarrassed by them, well, erm they aren't the best. so, don't say that i didn't warn you! haha

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
13 posted 2008-06-21 05:47 PM

I knew it!  I may have been wrong about your teaching Literature, but I was right about it being English.  I also "know" that you would love to teach Literature, if not instead of the aspects you teach, at least, as well as them.  I have just seen another Kaile poem, and I am about to go there now to read it.  

- Owl

TinaTrivett
since 2006-07-15
Posts 569

14 posted 2008-06-21 06:25 PM

kaile, you have a beautiful smile.

Thank you for taking us to Nepal. I hope the men get the smiles they deserve. Namaste' my friend.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #42 » Why Nepali men don't smile

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary