navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #42 » Bond
Open Poetry #42
Post A Reply Post New Topic Bond Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa

0 posted 2008-06-20 03:15 AM

BOND
1 November 2006

I know you don’t begrudge
my tears on your garden grave
as I don’t begrudge you Heaven.

- Owl

© Copyright 2008 Diana van den Berg - All Rights Reserved
Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
1 posted 2008-06-20 05:27 AM

This is poignant, touching love talk, dear Diana.
Love,
Margherita

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
2 posted 2008-06-20 08:07 AM

Thank you, Margherita.  This is about my beloved, horse, Flicka who taught me the real meaning of love.

- Owl

XGarapanX
since 2008-06-19
Posts 1435
Antarctica
3 posted 2008-06-21 11:18 AM

Ooh! This kicked me in the face. And for a horse. I can imagine your passion for your people. Engrossing poem. One eternal moment locked in stone, and resonating long past the reading.

·´~`·­»Garapan«­·´~`·

Richy
Member Elite
since 2003-05-03
Posts 3050

4 posted 2008-06-21 11:26 AM

How very loving Diana.
I'm sure your Flicka was a true wonder.
May your memories keep you, always.

Rich

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
5 posted 2008-06-21 12:37 PM

Thank you Garapan.  So very easy to feel this for a horse, especially my darling Flicka.  I was his for 20½ years and knew him for 2 years before that.  He was the most adoring and adored horse I ever met, not just because I was his.  He was 37½ when he went to Heaven.  Thank you for understanding my bond with him and for your kind words.

Richy, you are right, he was/is a true wonder.  Yes, my memories will keep me always - and I love that turn of phrase of yours, it is very beautiful.  Thank you.

- Owl

kaile
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-02-06
Posts 5146
singapore
6 posted 2008-06-21 01:02 PM

i live in a city and the few times in which i got to ride a horse were exhilarating times indeed, where i could savour devil-may-care freedom brush against my cheeks. you must feel incredibly blessed to have such a long nurturing relationship.

it's never easy to let go but hopefully, the memories help to heal

graeshine2006
since 2008-06-03
Posts 368
The Prairie Lands, USA
7 posted 2008-06-21 01:38 PM

Owl... This is beauty in a little package. I bet Flicka is waiting for you at Rainbow Bridge!
OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
8 posted 2008-06-21 05:36 PM

Kaile, when I selected the print version to copy your poem, Why Nepali Men Don't Smile to my new Kaile folder on my computer (I hope you don't mind) I noticed in the print version that your name is Heng Kaile.  May I call you Heng?  Until you tell me otherwise I am going to presume that I may do so.

Heng, I am so glad you got to ride horses, even if it was only a few times.  Yes, it is a wonderful experience.  I had about 10 years of riding Flicka.  

I retired him about 10 years before he went to Heaven, but went to the stables every day and led him out walking every day and prepared his food and spent time with him.  We used to have long conversations about all sorts of things - I even explained to him how the rotation of the Earth on its axis causes day and night and the revolution of the Earth around the sun causes the seasons.  Whatever I said, he listened with the greatest concentration and talked back for example with his eyes and by moving his ears and nuzzling his face up against me.  He was a great comfort when I was upset, but I tried not to tell him too much about my being upset with people as he loved everyone and I thought it may hurt his feelings in some way.  

Initially when he went to Heaven, I didn't know how to cope - I still don't very much - but I have realised that I was indeed very blessed to have been his for so long.  I understand that you feel that I should let go.  A lot of people have thought so, but I can't, nor do I want to.  I need the communication with Flicka, and any pain that comes along with that, is worth it.  People tell me that time heals, but it actually doesn't.  In fact one of my poems is called Time Doesn't Heal.  However, I am very grateful and blessed that he had a very long, very healthy and very happy life, and that his passing was gentle, with his head in my lap, so somehow I handle it.  Before he went to Heaven, I didn't know or understand about death, but Flicka taught me, (amongst so many other things when he was alive) to understand about the loss of a loved one, and so I can empathise so much better when somebody loses a loved one.  Often when things are really bad (and sometimes when they are not), I realise anew how blessed I was for Flicka living happily and in excellent health for 37½ years and for giving me 20½ of those years with him.  

Thank you Debby.  I have heard of the beautiful concept of the Rainbow Bridge.  However, I believe that my precious Flicka is far too busy in Heaven making everyone (animals and people, especially the newcomers) happy and at home and comfortable and gamboling with his friends in green pastures, to be waiting on the Rainbow Bridge, but that when I die, he will return to the Rainbow Bridge for me too, and oh, what a reunion that will be!

- Owl

Greeneyes
Deputy Moderator 50 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-09-09
Posts 9903
In Your Poetic Mind
9 posted 2008-06-21 08:20 PM

sigh....understanding this....I had 3 horses growing up....many loving memories...

~~**~~
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
10 posted 2008-06-22 03:19 AM

Lauren, and I really understand that sigh . . . the nostalgia, the longing, the happy memories.  Thank you for understanding about Flicka.  You would have adored him, and he, you.

- Owl

2islander2
Member Ascendant
since 2008-03-12
Posts 6825
by the sea
11 posted 2008-06-22 08:24 AM

You make its memories great, very poignant poem when we care about the words...

thanks

yann

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
12 posted 2008-06-22 09:15 AM

Thank you Yann.  It is wonderful to know that my darling horse, Flicka is known all over the world - South Africa, France, America, England, Turkey - to name just a few countries.  He was so humble and loving.  Thirty people fussing over him at any one time (not that there were ever so many at one time!) would be that much better than 29, and he would have made sure that nobody got left out.  For example, when I was with other people at his stable door, he would nuzzle up to each in turn, and keep coming back to me as though to say, "Mommy don't be hurt that I love other people too" and of course I never was - I just loved the fact that people loved him and that he loved them.  

- Owl

Marchmadness
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 9271
So. El Monte, California
13 posted 2008-06-22 03:59 PM

It is easy to see that Flicka was very special, Owl.
                               Ida

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
14 posted 2008-06-22 04:35 PM

Thank you, Ida.  He most certainly was.

- Owl

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #42 » Bond

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary