navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #42 » The Power of Good
Open Poetry #42
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Power of Good Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa

0 posted 2008-06-14 02:42 PM

THE POWER OF GOOD
5 July 2006

When we caress,
in reverence
and understanding
broken petals
mirrored darkly,
a snowdrop
will burst forth
from its silent blanket
on the other side of the world.

-Owl

© Copyright 2008 Diana van den Berg - All Rights Reserved
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
1 posted 2008-06-14 04:02 PM

oh, I love this, as it is basically another example of the butterfly effect, the inter-connectedness of all.... east/west/north/south,
and out into the spaces beyond our reach.

2islander2
Member Ascendant
since 2008-03-12
Posts 6825
by the sea
2 posted 2008-06-14 04:46 PM

Great poem Owl, so tender and so poetic, and always the unexpected effect butterfly...The tenderness of humanity is shares by the nature...I really understand the loud and clear  message....

have a nice day

yann

Marchmadness
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 9271
So. El Monte, California
3 posted 2008-06-14 05:17 PM

I love this too and I think it takes a special person to write this kind of poem.
                                   Ida

graeshine2006
since 2008-06-03
Posts 368
The Prairie Lands, USA
4 posted 2008-06-14 11:23 PM

Diana - the huntress, I think you are a hunter of words.  And a good one!
Brian James
since 2005-06-26
Posts 147
Winnipeg
5 posted 2008-06-15 03:08 AM

I love the misleading "when we caress" at the beginning.  Very subtle.

Yeah, for every death there is life, etc.  And I interpret the misleading first line as meaning, we contribute to that cycle through love in our private lives.

Interesting stuff.

"To me, the thing that art does for life is to clean it, to strip it to form."
~Robert Frost

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
6 posted 2008-06-15 05:02 AM

Thank you, Kacy.  You understood very well exactly what I meant.  I love your universal poetry too.

Thank you, Yann.  I appreciate your beautiful comments very much and I am glad that you understood what I said so deeply.  

Ida, thank you.  I am very honoured by what you said.  I feel special, here, in Pip.

Thank you, Debby.  I would certainly rather be a huntress of words, than my animal friends - though I can't deny that, like a Vervet monkey, I am an omnivore and enjoy meat.  However, I would not enjoy the hunt.

Brian, I don't want to spoil your interpretation of my poem because I believe that the receiver of a work of art should not only have the permission of the artist to interpret as he/she understands - but it is his/her right - and even more important it is my very strong belief that the receiver sometimes/often sees/hears/feels something that IS there, even though the artist didn't consciously put it there.  (Sometimes, of course, an interpretation is simply wrong, but if the art work doesn't deny it, it usually isn't wrong.)  In this case, I didn't consciously try to mislead in the first line - it was just a very sensual - or perhaps more accurately - affectionate - expression of my adoration of nature and humanity (with regard to humanity - in concept, but unfortunately not in the case of many individuals).  Yes, I do mean "contributing through love in our private lives" but also serving as a microsmic view of the macrocosm of humanity.  However, having had my attention drawn to the misleading aspect of the first line, I accept it and embrace it.  

- Owl

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #42 » The Power of Good

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary