navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #42 » they walk
Open Poetry #42
Post A Reply Post New Topic they walk Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
2islander2
Member Ascendant
since 2008-03-12
Posts 6825
by the sea

0 posted 2008-05-29 12:13 PM

The old persons
walk their dogs
and look carefully at gardens,
when the garden is dirty
the housekeeper is filthy,
when it is badly maintained
the housekeeper is lazy,
when the garden
is decorated with flowers
the housekeeper is kind,
when the garden has no roses
the housekeeper is evil
they think so hardly
by looking at the gardens
that I hear their thoughts
every step they walk....

© Copyright 2008 yann rolland - All Rights Reserved
Marchmadness
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 9271
So. El Monte, California
1 posted 2008-05-29 12:23 PM

Hi yann, This poem makes me think of my neighbor's yard. It would give those old people a stroke. I guess as we get older we have more time to dwell on such things but I don't think it should take up too much of one's thoughts  as there are many other thing to think about.
                                 Ida

2islander2
Member Ascendant
since 2008-03-12
Posts 6825
by the sea
2 posted 2008-05-29 12:29 PM

Hello Ida, I was disapointed by certain looks of passers by when they look my garden that I let sometimes abandoned, I know you understand me and that's warm...You're right it doesn't matter a lot

thanks
  yann

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
3 posted 2008-05-29 01:56 PM

Yes, generally speaking, one can draw some conclusions as to the kind of people they are by their lawns and gardens and how well they tend them ~ or neglect them.

Of course, this is speaking in generalities as there can be many unknown factors that could play into the mix. ~ Illness, depression, poverty,over-worked, don't give a tinker's dam for what other's think, away on vacation, lack of creative flare. It's easy to judge a book by its cover.

However, I'm guilty of wondering about such things when I see a home stand out from its neighbours due to the neglect that is apparent.

Linda
P.S. Our lawns and gardens are very well maintained and coiffed ~ in case your interested! lol

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
4 posted 2008-05-29 02:09 PM

From a naturalist's standpoint, an 'ignored' garden may be the best, if the plants are natural (native) to the area. But I do understand the reasoning here about 'lazy' and 'filthy' gardeners/housekeepers. I enjoy working in the yard, landscaping and gardening are hobbies I make time for no matter how busy "life" gets!
Thanks, Yann, for another thoughtful write!
I always enjoy reading you, and am thankful for your input on my writes as well.

Joyce Johnson
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-03-10
Posts 9912
Washington State
5 posted 2008-05-29 02:10 PM

Many years ago I planted a big yard
with flower beds and took care of it by myself and the help of my husband.  My husband has died and I still have this beautiful yard to care for.  When the weather cooperates and I can get out early in the spring I manage, but this year  the rains kept me indoors and the weeds proliferated.  I am playing keep up.  I know my neighbors who are old , understand and sympathise.  The young ones are too busy to notice. Joyce

Robert Frazier
since 2003-02-06
Posts 1014

6 posted 2008-05-29 03:56 PM

I should go home and pull the weeds from my flower garden!

R

2islander2
Member Ascendant
since 2008-03-12
Posts 6825
by the sea
7 posted 2008-05-29 04:21 PM

Hello Linda, in fact it's not the quality of the garden that bother me, it's the process of the mind which associates the apparence of the garden with the mentality of the owner....You said it very well there is a lot of reasons that nobody knows for the state of a garden ...Alas when they pass they care about that as people who have not important matters to think or are intrusive...I simply don't like that....
2islander2
Member Ascendant
since 2008-03-12
Posts 6825
by the sea
8 posted 2008-05-29 04:27 PM

Midnitsun, I have too a naturalist point of view about gardens, Nature makes things more beautiful and lively that men....I understand you understand these thoughts about the state of a garden, I guess you are more tolerant than I am....

Thank you for your comment...

yann

2islander2
Member Ascendant
since 2008-03-12
Posts 6825
by the sea
9 posted 2008-05-29 04:38 PM

Thank you Joyce, You are a wise person and I  appreciated your comment, I noticed you live in Washington State and I think it is raining a lot there like on Brittany....It is difficult here to practice the lawnmower and sometimes grass raise during weeks....

Have a nice week end

yann

TinaTrivett
since 2006-07-15
Posts 569

10 posted 2008-05-29 05:33 PM

A very creative poem about judgement...much enjoyed yann.  

I always have admired the Amish farms. They are so neat & tidy & maintained. Picture perfect.

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
11 posted 2008-05-30 12:30 PM

Yann, it is lovely to know that there are people out there who think beyond their noses - even if they are all in Pip and not in the world around us.  It is not just gardens (I have an indigenous forest garden that needs some taming, which I am not able to do as much of as I would like because of time, money and safety) - it is about everything - opinions, dress, to name a couple.  I absolutely love the company of people who think - one of my favourite activities is thinking - whether they think the same as I do or not.  Much enjoyed your poem.

- Owl

2islander2
Member Ascendant
since 2008-03-12
Posts 6825
by the sea
12 posted 2008-05-30 02:16 PM

Hello Owl, Of course it's natural to think and better you think better it is, but sometimes judgements are a lack of thinking....Whatever...I Had great pleasure to read your commment and had plain smiles
cause you said things with a lot of humor...

un grand merci

yann

Alison
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-27
Posts 9318
Lumpy oatmeal makes me crazy!
13 posted 2008-06-06 09:49 PM

yann,

I used to have a beautiful yard.  It had flowers and lots of green grass.  Then I got two puppies.  Now my yard has holes dug in it too often and things that I don't want to step in - but, I also have two really happy dogs who are happy to see me and make me laugh.  The trade-off was worth it to me.

Alison

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #42 » they walk

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary