navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #42 » Anger
Open Poetry #42
Post A Reply Post New Topic Anger Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan

0 posted 2008-04-25 09:31 PM

Ah Keats
What do you know
Of life

And while Shelley sallies
Around the bay

What will you write
As discounts death

© Copyright 2008 John Pawlik - All Rights Reserved
Robert E. Jordan
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-25
Posts 8541
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 posted 2008-04-25 09:42 PM

John,

"beauty is truth, truth beauty,"--that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.

Bobby

Artic Wind
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 8080
Realm of Supernatural
2 posted 2008-04-25 10:56 PM

Enjoyed the Write!

ARCTIC WIND

Seoulair
since 2008-03-27
Posts 807
Seoul S.Korea
3 posted 2008-04-26 08:24 PM

Many passed are still passing
Rarely some passed
closing enough
to make a flare

New born hearts are wished
upon the moment
and wait for the bloom

Eulogy,
yet, gets started
(why anger? for Keats, Shelley, and Byron)  

[This message has been edited by Seoulair (04-26-2008 10:57 PM).]

Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

4 posted 2008-04-27 01:43 AM

Dear Huan Yi,

The prose sense of the last line is unclear and throws off the effect of the poem for me since I don't know what you're trying to say or what you're trying to ask.

If you want to know what Keats knew about death, the man was a doctor.  He was intimately familiar with death in many of its forms.  Being a medical student of his time, he had to acquire his own cadavers from the likes of Burke and Hare and such resurrectionists.  One misstep and he would have been the next body on offer.

During much of the final few years of his life he was quite aware that he was dying of T.B.  He had hopes that his life might be drawn out somewhat, but that was pretty much it.  He was coughing up blood on a regular basis and having occasional severe pulmonary bleeds, which left him exhausted and despairing.  He died believing that his life had been utterly pointless.

Other than that, I guess his knowledge of death was probably reasonably limited for a 19th century man with infant and child mortality the way it was at the time, and with women dying in childbirth at the rate they did, and with typhoid fever and typhus  and other infectious diseases being endemic.  The public sanitation projects that did so much to drive down the death rate in London weren't really completed until the middle to late 1840's, and Keats was long dead by that time.

For more information, you might check out Walter Jackson Bate's biography of Keats, which is well written and surprisingly good reading.

Yours, BobK.

2islander2
Member Ascendant
since 2008-03-12
Posts 6825
by the sea
5 posted 2008-04-27 03:31 AM

Such a wonderful poem and very interesting comments...As a french I know Keats only by name, never read it and don't know his life, I'm sad about it...

have a nice day

yann

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #42 » Anger

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary