navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #42 » Felix and The Kid In The Drum
Open Poetry #42
Post A Reply Post New Topic Felix and The Kid In The Drum Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Robert E. Jordan
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-25
Posts 8541
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

0 posted 2008-04-21 11:12 AM

Felix’s foster Dad
was a big man,
and super strong.  

The little kid was small—
perhaps seven or eight.  

He was a stray kid,
an extra from somewhere,
down the road.  

The foster Dad
had this big
fifty-five gallon
steel drum
that smelled of
old motor oil.  

The foster Dad
picked the kid up
by the scruff of the neck,
put him in the drum,
and sealed it shut.  

All Felix could hear
was the noise of the child,
screaming,
and beating on the sides
of the drum.  

Felix had to laugh,
if he didn’t,
something bad
could happen to Felix.  

Felix was small too.  

When the foster Dad
finally opened the drum,
the kid ran away
to somewhere,
as fast as he could.  

That’s just the way it was.  

Bobby

© Copyright 2008 Robert E. Jordan - All Rights Reserved
gilead
since 2008-03-10
Posts 1067
nevada, USA
1 posted 2008-04-21 11:57 AM

I, too, have known horror, but not at the hands of someone who loved me. This is dark, disturbing, and true to life in so many of its tragic ways.

Art

Marchmadness
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 9271
So. El Monte, California
2 posted 2008-04-21 12:20 PM

I know you don't believe in karma, Bobby but I do and I'm glad I'm not your foster father.
                              Ida

Robert E. Jordan
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-25
Posts 8541
3 posted 2008-04-21 02:45 PM

Thanks Art,

If you have a foster father who loves you, then you are a lucky person indeed.  I've heard that good foster fathers do exist--God bless them.

Bobby

Robert E. Jordan
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-25
Posts 8541
4 posted 2008-04-21 02:49 PM

Thanks Ida,

No, I don't believe in Karma.  I do believe in hell however, and I wouldn't wish that on anyone, not even my foster father.  

Thanks for your kind, and loving words on this poem.

Love Bobby

Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

5 posted 2008-04-21 07:39 PM

Dear Bobby,

Don't know what's happening here; you're usually a bit tighter before you post, but this is pretty raw stuff and very moving.
The little kid was small—

If you're going to tell us the kid was "small" at the end of the line and "perhaps seven or eight" in the next line, calling him "little" seems distracting overkill.  For me it caused a minute of bewilderment.

The comma at the end of "an extra from somewhere," throws special extra emphasis on that line break and I think accidently flips the following line, "down the road" into a level of importance you probably don't intend.  If you took the comma out, I think the line would work better.  I don't see any pressing grammatical need for the comma. It serves mostly to confuse.

The foster Dad
had this big
fifty-five gallon
steel drum
that smelled of
old motor oil.  

My thinking here is that one 55 gallon drum is pretty much the same size as another, so calling this one "big" doesn't particularly move the poem along.  The cut off point that I was taught between spelling numbers out and using the numbers themselves was ten.  After that came 11.  I suppose everybody has a different system and I haven't gotten anal enough to check it out further, only anal enough to mention it here.  Since you have a bit of a run-on sentence in the next stanza, it might give you some interesting rhythmic variation to end-stop line four of this stanza after drum.  Then try "It smelled of/ old motor oil."  Might work, might not, mostly it depends on your ear, doesn't it?  

The foster Dad
picked the kid up

If you say "picked up the kid" instead it gives the line a more self contained feel.  Technically, I suppose it changes the lines from two trochees to two iambs.  More usefully, it gets rid of a weak ending.  You don't have to follow the scansion business to hear it when you read it out loud.  It may not matter to your ear, though.

by the scruff of the neck,

Maybe "his neck," because it makes the insult of the action that much more immediate.  If that's your interest.

put him in the drum,
and sealed it shut.  

All Felix could hear
was the noise of the child,
screaming,
and beating on the sides
of the drum.  

I like this, but I've wondered how something like this would work for you:

All Felix could hear
Was the screaming,
The noise of the child
Beating on the sides
Of the drum.

Does this change anything in the way the stanza comes across for you?

Felix had to laugh,
if he didn’t,
something bad
could happen to Felix.  

Felix was small too.  

When the foster Dad
finally opened the drum,
the kid ran away
to somewhere,

What do you think of "back to somewhere," since you've already established that's where he came from in the first place.  And this suggests that "somewhere" might have been an improvement.  It certainly seemed to be for this kid, didn't it?  

as fast as he could.  

That’s just the way it was.  

You certainly are a good writer, Bobby, though it seems hard to tell you so in a way that soaks in.  I'll keep trying the best ways I can.

All my best, BobK

Robert E. Jordan
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-25
Posts 8541
6 posted 2008-04-21 08:19 PM

Yo BobK,

Thanks for your insightful comments and suggestions.  I'll take them into consideration.

Bobby

Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

7 posted 2008-04-22 01:58 AM

Consideration's fine with me, Bobby.  As would be outright dismissal.  It's a good poem.

Joyce Johnson
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-03-10
Posts 9912
Washington State
8 posted 2008-04-22 09:03 PM

I was taught that numbers are always written out in poetry or formal writing.  it would cheapen your lines to write 55. Joyce
Larrysmom
since 2008-04-03
Posts 533
Florida, USA
9 posted 2008-04-22 09:42 PM

Bobby, did he ever truly feel sorry for the things he did?

I have a mean streak in me when it comes to people who can be so damn hateful and cruel to kids… I sort of want to crawl down to their level and spoon them some of their own medicine...

I hope he’s getting a good damn dose of it in hell!

I’m happy Felix and Sally did finally find and receive some of the happiness that life can bring and give. I hope they were still pretty young when they found it…

Tammy<333

Robert E. Jordan
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-25
Posts 8541
10 posted 2008-04-22 09:47 PM

Joyce and BobK,

Thank you both for your help on this.

Felix is me in this.  The main thing is that I could never forgive what the big guy did to that little kid.  He pulled similar tricks on me.  I loved him, and he was generally a good man, just a little brutal.  He just had a mean streak as far as a sense of humor goes.

Bobby

steavenr
Member Elite
since 2003-11-17
Posts 4058

11 posted 2008-04-22 09:56 PM

Since I always read the comments to the poem after I read the poem, I was, at first, tempted to reply to one of the comments...but that would have been moving away from your amazing, powerful write and its importance.  I like it just like you wrote it.  I can find in each structure of your write meaning...and that is what makes good poetry worth reading.  While the subject matter was chilling, your expression of it was compelling.
Joyce Johnson
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-03-10
Posts 9912
Washington State
12 posted 2008-04-22 10:06 PM

You are a very forgiving person if you could forgive this man.  Joyce
Robert E. Jordan
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-25
Posts 8541
13 posted 2008-04-22 10:09 PM

Tammy,

No, he never felt sorry for the things he did.  He was my uncle, and very much like a father to me.

He just didn't know any better.  He did it all in good humor.  He had a strange sense of humor.

Believe it or not, he was deeply loved by all the kids he came in contact with.  Even the little kid in the drum.  

Thinking about it now, I don't know how he pulled that off.

BTW, I'm sure he's in heaven.

Bobby

Robert E. Jordan
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-25
Posts 8541
14 posted 2008-04-22 10:13 PM

Thanks Steavenr,

I'm pleased the poem worked for you.

Bobby

Robert E. Jordan
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-25
Posts 8541
15 posted 2008-04-22 10:17 PM

Joyce,

His behavior was expected.  We were rough people.

Bobby

Larrysmom
since 2008-04-03
Posts 533
Florida, USA
16 posted 2008-04-22 10:32 PM

Well, you’re an excellent writer then Bobby. Cause you make him sound so damn evil! Like he did all these horrible things because he enjoyed inflicting pain on the kids he was supposed to be taking care of.

Tammy<333

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
17 posted 2008-04-23 12:51 PM

I read in one of your replies that Felix is you, in this write. My goodness, your foster father certainly had a brutish sense of humour!

I have always had strong emotions rise to the surface whenever I read a poem of yours on the experiences and the plights of "Felix". They are very powerful in their impact on your readers.

Linda

Robert E. Jordan
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-25
Posts 8541
18 posted 2008-04-23 08:33 AM

Tammy and Linda,

The foster Dad was popular with the kids in the hood because of his generosity.  His door was always open, and if any kid wanted a bottle of soda, all they had to do was go to his fridge, and take a bottle.  He was very much the big happy brute.

Like I say, I loved him.

Bobby

Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

19 posted 2008-04-23 09:26 AM

It's sad to see people you love tormented in such a way; and not even knowing that they're doing wrong.  Numbness is sometimes the worst kind of pain.

Robert E. Jordan
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-25
Posts 8541
20 posted 2008-04-23 09:46 AM

Thanks Bob K,

You are correct.

Numbness is a good name for it.  People are many times so influenced by their environment, that they lose all sense of decency.  They are blind to their own failing.  It happens all the time, all over the place.

Bobby

[This message has been edited by Robert E. Jordan (04-23-2008 10:50 PM).]

Larrysmom
since 2008-04-03
Posts 533
Florida, USA
21 posted 2008-04-23 10:24 PM

Well, if you loved him, then he's OK by me!!!

Tammy<333

Robert E. Jordan
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-25
Posts 8541
22 posted 2008-04-23 10:55 PM

Thanks Tammy,

It was amazing, all the kids loved him.  I think he gave the idea, that even a grown man could be free and wild.  They wished to emulate him.

Bobby

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #42 » Felix and The Kid In The Drum

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary