navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #40 » Quantity
Open Poetry #40
Post A Reply Post New Topic Quantity Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
ivordavies
since 2007-01-10
Posts 739
Chester, England

0 posted 2007-07-09 03:16 AM

Quantity

In the background programs lurk
ensuring that no members shirk,
to give a boost to folks like me
for taking time to post quite free.

I'm not  sure that it feels  quite right
to gain promotion on this site
just by posting quantity,
for that reserved a place for me.

No matter if it's good or bad,
this I find is really sad,
as long as you give quantity
your status then will change
....like me!

But what the hell, the choice is yours,
(though this of course may cause discourse),
A  senior member you will be
as long as you give quantity!

But still my thanks to one and all
who helped my quantity to fall
on ‘tentive ears  with open hearts
without tearing my work in parts!

I know that I am out of place
and some would say it's a disgrace
to post pure rhyme upon this site
for nowadays rhyme's considered shite.

With no appreciation learned
for freeverse, you may think your spurned
when I don't comment on your work,
who is this man 'a total jerk?'

'Tis true that I can seldom see
in freeverse any poetry
but when I do, I state my case,
as beauty stares me in the face.

So rhyming poets of the world
as you see your work unfurled
remember we are dinosaurs
not quite extinct, but in fate's jaws.

Forgive my rambling, in this way
but as conclusion I will say
Thank you all for what you see
in a rhyming poet's quantity...

Ivor G Davies

The moment created this second, is a  moment that's going to last.
It lives the full spectrum of time, the future, the present and past.

© Copyright 2007 Ivor G Davies - All Rights Reserved
Robert Jordan
since 2007-02-07
Posts 392
Philadelphia Pa USA
1 posted 2007-07-09 09:27 AM

Ivor,

Great little poem.  I'm pleased that your not one of the space hogs that post so called poem after so-called poem on this unregulated site.

Good on ya.

Bobby

aziza
Member Elite
since 2006-07-09
Posts 2995
Lumpy Oatmeal makes me Crazy!
2 posted 2007-07-11 05:24 PM

Ivor, I think you are a fine poet and I enjoy reading your words very much.  I try many different styles of writing because I am learning.  I write  alot because I write. It's my relaxation.  My words are my camera.  I think you understand that.

I think sometimes we are read a lot and sometimes we aren't.  It's just kind of how it works out.  Yet, even though I don't respond to every poem I read, I enjoy so many.  I try to write to each, but I usually am on here really late at night -- and I am tired.

I did notice that sometimes you don't respond when people do write responses to your poetry.  Maybe if you take time to acknowledge those who do -- it might generate even more responses.  Maybe some are intimidated about the "Rhyming responses particularly welcome". Who knows.

I know that I post here because I get some good feedback - and, sometimes, the best feedback is silence.  

Ivor, I think you expressed some thoughts that many of us feel from time to time.  But, instead of looking at the site as if your poetry is ignored - try looking at the dates of those who get so many responses.  The dates of when they joined the site.  We are among people who have developed relationships that span almost a decade.  We are the new kids - and, while we are welcomed on these pages, we don't share their history.

I have learned a lot by reading the archives of PiP - and it makes me a bit more at ease to see my work not always get attention.  It's not about the moment.  It's about the big picture.

And, it's about what do YOU get from PiP.  

I am glad to see you posting because I have missed you.

Alison

aziza
Member Elite
since 2006-07-09
Posts 2995
Lumpy Oatmeal makes me Crazy!
3 posted 2007-07-11 05:32 PM

A  senior member you will be
as long as you give quantity!

----

One more thing, Ivor - something to consider.  I have over 2,000 posts in this site, but over 1,700 are responses.  Yes, I am a senior member and more -- but I hope that I am building my numbers by reading and responding to others.

The more one reads and enjoys another's poetry - the more likely their poetry will be read by others.  It's a circle, my friend.

Alison

ivordavies
since 2007-01-10
Posts 739
Chester, England
4 posted 2007-07-12 04:04 PM

Robert,

Thanks for the welcome reply.

Ivor

ivordavies
since 2007-01-10
Posts 739
Chester, England
5 posted 2007-07-12 04:17 PM

Alison,

I am a bit confused by your reply,,,,

In no way was I infering that I did not get responses on this site, I get excellant feedback and am really grateful for the friends I have built up on the site, including yourself.

Part of my poem was my personal apology for not making responses  myself to non rhyming poetry!  I have always had difficulty appreciating this type of poetry, unless as I see it, I do not realise it is not in rhyme because I am absorbed by it's quality and content.

I actually feel guilty about this as I know it is a shortcoming in my understanding.

The other part was a light hearted joking about the 'automatic tracking' that makes a member (including myself) a senior member because they have written a set number of posts!

The only reason I do not reply to every response is time, and even then when I find time I go back over my work and try to reply to everyone who responded to me.  I did this about two months ago aand responded to dozens of posts.

Again, I hope my poem was not misunderstood, I love getting replies but by virtue of my job I can get tied up for months with little time for fun (although my job is fun).

Thank you for all the numerous times you have given me support, I just wish I wasn't so busy so that I could recipricate fully...

Ivor

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #40 » Quantity

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary