navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #40 » Farmers Market
Open Poetry #40
Post A Reply Post New Topic Farmers Market Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon

0 posted 2007-05-14 01:16 AM

(Here's a cute lil' ditty I haven't posted in six years, but was inspired to today after my parents, who have been responding to my eating disorder of orthorexia/anorexia, went along with me to the farmer's market in Hillsboro to get some fresh, locally-grown produce to cook on the grill!

My parents, too, have been having eating issues, though not like mine and rather having high blood pressure from eating lots of salty meats, and so we all had something to cheer about this weekend where I consumed more calories than I have too often lately to battle my eating disorder, with corn-on-the-cob, sesame tofu, fire-grilled asparagus and organic kettle corn, and they benefitted too with eating healthier foods low in saturated fats and cholesterol.

I truly believe farmers markets make everyone happy, so I'm re-posting this as a special thank-you to all the local farmers who put them together for the enjoyment of the community! )

Farmers Market
By: Noah Eaton
6/29/01

Hey, let’s go out to the farmers market today!
Where there’s plenty of good food to eat
Slip on your shoes and grab your baskets
Oh, think of all the delicious goodies and antiques we will see!

What will you find, what will you see today?
What have these farmers been growing?
Fresh potatoes, peaches, and corn-on-the-cob,
and bundles of fresh ripened bing cherries

Sweet gourmet candy apples fresh from the crop
Or would you prefer a nice big bag of kettle corn?
How about a nice plant to hang on your patio?
Take a walk around, there’s so much more.

This special place unfolds once a week near you,
come on down sometime and see,
bring your family along, it will be a treat indeed,
may we eat, drink, and shop healthy and happily!

"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other"

Mother Teresa

© Copyright 2007 Nadia Lockheart - All Rights Reserved
Drauntz
Member Elite
since 2007-03-16
Posts 2905
Los Angeles California
1 posted 2007-05-14 01:23 AM

Amen!!!! what a fun poem to write!

thank you!

take very good care of yourself.

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
2 posted 2007-05-14 06:55 PM

"corn-on-the-cob, sesame tofu, fire-grilled asparagus and organic kettle corn,"

~ Now, yer cookin'!!! To be perfectly honest, that's my kinda victuals! I'm a bit of a health nut myself and I think before I eat! lol

I'm a farmer's market junkie! In fact, this W/E I visited several country markets and my larder and fridge are full of nutritional goodies to eat! Getting in enough calories has never been a problem for me. I LOVE TO EAT! ~ but in moderation and making healthy choices.

I believe that a family that eats well together ~ lives healthier and longer together!

Bon apetite!

Linda

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #40 » Farmers Market

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary