navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #44 » Bones Dad Sometimes Gets a Little Crazy
Open Poetry #44
Post A Reply Post New Topic Bones Dad Sometimes Gets a Little Crazy Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Robert E. Jordan
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-25
Posts 8541
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

0 posted 2009-03-20 09:19 PM

Bones is sitting at home with Mom.  
They’re waiting for Dad to come home.  
He’s late as usual for Thursday night.

"Thursday night's
the night to howl in Philly.  

That's when the guy's
get paid in our hood."  

They figure he’s down at A Jay’s bar,
drinking it up with his pals.  

He’s down there telling war stories.  
Mom hopes he’s not getting
too worked-up.  
That’s never good.  

Dad gets a little crazy
when he drinks too much,
and starts in talking about the war
with his drinking buddies.  

There’s a loud crash,
as Dad slams open
the front door.  

Dad rushes into the kitchen.  
He’s waving a pistol around in the air,
shouting incomprehensible gibberish
about shooting some lousy krauts.  

Mom makes a bee line
for the backdoor,
she’s out of there.

Mom's been on this trip before,
she doen't plan to take it again.

Bones is little,
he's not used to seeing
his Dad like this.  

He's always in bed
this hour on Thursday night.  

This crap is all new to Bones.  

Bones drops to his knees
in front of his father,
starts bawling,
screams that he’s no kraut,
and begs his Dad not to shoot him.  

Dad stands there
for a few seconds,
starts crying,
and drops the gun.  

No one gets much sleep that night.

Bobby

[This message has been edited by Robert E. Jordan (03-20-2009 11:28 PM).]

© Copyright 2009 Robert E. Jordan - All Rights Reserved
ethome
Member Patricius
since 2000-05-14
Posts 11858
New Brunswick Canada
1 posted 2009-03-21 12:39 PM

Wow! That's a touching story Bobby.
It's terrible what the ravages of war can do sometimes and adding alcohol to it doesn't help.
I'm glad no one was hurt on this occasion.
Nice write, can't understand why it wasn't commented on before this.

Take care

Eric

Robert E. Jordan
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-25
Posts 8541
2 posted 2009-03-21 12:58 PM

Thanks Eric,

I think it's a little rough for people.  

My father never fully recovered from that war.  He saw too much, and knew too much.  When he came home, I asked him to buy me a toy rifle.  He did, but he really didn't want to.

I still feel bad about my stupidity.  I was young, so I forgave myself.

Bobby

Marchmadness
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 9271
So. El Monte, California
3 posted 2009-03-21 12:59 PM

Pretty scary.

Ida

Robert E. Jordan
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-25
Posts 8541
4 posted 2009-03-21 01:03 AM

Thanks dear Ida,

No, not too scary.  It happened a lot to a lot of people, and still does.

Love Bobby

ethome
Member Patricius
since 2000-05-14
Posts 11858
New Brunswick Canada
5 posted 2009-03-21 01:12 AM

My grandfather went through the same war and it made him more tender and compassionate but he also drank heavily the rest of his life to mask some of the memories.
He was extremely good to me. It happens that way sometimes when it's the grandson.

I also had a cousin that went through the first world war and it affected him terribly and he shot two of my great aunts to death in Novemeber 1924. They were only 11 and 14 years old. Back in those days it was a horrific thing to happen as he had sexually abused one of them. Something you didn't hear too much about in those days.
Back in those days they didn't fool around too much and they hung him by the neck in Feb 1925.
However, that's some of the harsh reality of it all and war affects all participants a different way. He simply went to pieces and though some say there's no excuse for what he did, I'm not so sure.

Take care

Eric

Robert E. Jordan
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-25
Posts 8541
6 posted 2009-03-21 01:27 AM

Eric,

My father was in WW II.  I still have his knapsack, the flag from his coffin, and a fancy certificate from President Gerald Ford commemorating his heroism, after he died.  He spent most of his life after the war locked away in a mental hospital.

Bobby

Juju
Member Elite
since 2003-12-29
Posts 3429
In your dreams
7 posted 2009-03-21 01:29 AM

I am sure the PTSS puts alot of stress on him.  That is the way alot of them turned out.  Unfortunately the mental health area was not important in the 70's.  

Juli

-Juju

-"So you found a girl
Who thinks really deep thoughts
What's so amazing about really deep thoughts " Silent all these Years, Tori Amos

ethome
Member Patricius
since 2000-05-14
Posts 11858
New Brunswick Canada
8 posted 2009-03-21 01:36 AM

That's sad Bobby but you were there for him at the end. I don't know how you could do too much more it's the way blood runs deep and not something easily explained.
Doesn't matter what happened in between when it's all over and none of us can live in the past though we can draw powerful lessons from it.

Eric

Robert E. Jordan
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-25
Posts 8541
9 posted 2009-03-21 01:46 AM

Thanks Dear Juju, and Eric,

My father was heavely involved in the fire bombing of Dresden, and I think that got to him pretty hard.  I have an old handout of a flyover of Dresden after the attack that father sent me.

Here is some information on the fire bombing of Dresden.

The Bombing of Dresden by the British Royal Air Force (RAF) and United States Army Air Force (USAAF) between 13 February and 15 February 1945, 12 weeks before the surrender of the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) of Nazi Germany, remains one of the most controversial Allied actions of the Second World War.

The raids saw 1,300 heavy bombers drop over 3,900 tons of high-explosive bombs and incendiary devices in four raids, destroying 13 square miles (34 km2) of the city, the baroque capital of the German state of Saxony, and causing a firestorm that consumed the city centre.[2] Estimates of civilian casualties vary greatly, but recent publications place the figure between 24,000 and 40,000.[3]

A 1953 United States Air Force report written by Joseph W. Angell defended the operation as the justified bombing of a military and industrial target, which was a major rail transportation and communication centre, housing 110 factories and 50,000 workers in support of the German war effort.[4] Against this, several researchers have argued that not all of the communications infrastructure, such as the bridges, were in fact targeted, nor were the extensive industrial areas outside the city centre.[5] It has been argued that Dresden was a cultural landmark of little or no military significance, a "Florence on the Elbe," as it was known, and the attacks were indiscriminate area bombing and not proportional for the commensurate military gains.[6][7]

As late as the 1958 edition, Encyclopedia Brittanica made no reference to the bombing in its entry for Dresden.

In the first few decades after the war, some death toll estimates were as high as 250,000. However, figures in the regions of hundreds of thousands are considered disproportionate.[8] Today's historians estimate a death toll of between 24,000 and 40,000,[3] with an independent investigation commissioned by the city itself stated that around 18,000 victims had been identified and that the estimated total number of fatalities was around 25,000.[9][10]

Post-war discussion of the bombing includes debate by commentators and historians as to whether or not the bombing was justified, and whether or not its outcome constituted a war crime. Nonetheless, the raids continue to be included among the worst examples of civilian suffering caused by strategic bombing, and have become one of the moral causes célèbres of the Second World War.[11]

ethome
Member Patricius
since 2000-05-14
Posts 11858
New Brunswick Canada
10 posted 2009-03-21 01:56 AM

Dear God that's awful.
It's little wonder he suffered so.
Some things are impossible to understand.

Thanks for sharing that Bobby. It certainly sheds a different light on things. God how can we be so cruel sometimes?

Eric

Robert E. Jordan
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-25
Posts 8541
11 posted 2009-03-21 02:01 AM

Thanks Eric,

The fire bombing of Dresden is covered well by the novel "Slaughterhouse Five" by Kurt Vonnegut Jr.  It's a good read.

"Slaughterhouse-Five, or The Children's Crusade: A Duty-Dance With Death (1969), by Kurt Vonnegut, is a post-modern anti-war science fiction novel dealing with a soldier's (Billy Pilgrim) experiences during World War II and his journeys with time travel."

Bobby

ethome
Member Patricius
since 2000-05-14
Posts 11858
New Brunswick Canada
12 posted 2009-03-21 04:16 AM

Humm that sounds good. I'll look it up.
Thanks

Eric

2islander2
Member Ascendant
since 2008-03-12
Posts 6825
by the sea
13 posted 2009-03-21 04:25 AM

Hi Bobby, drinking fathers are terrible. They ruin their family and have no respect for others...Your poem is  avery sad one but I thank you for talking about that.

regards

yann

Robert E. Jordan
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-25
Posts 8541
14 posted 2009-03-21 09:05 AM

Thanks Yann,

For reading and commenting.  Drinking fathers are a problem.  I think "selfish" is the operative word.

Bobby

suthern
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
15 posted 2009-03-22 09:45 PM

This is one of the most powerful of your poems I've read... so many bring untold horrors home with them. Excellent work, Bobby!!
Robert E. Jordan
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-25
Posts 8541
16 posted 2009-03-22 10:26 PM

Thanks dear Suthern,

Yes, you are correct about those untold horrors.  My Dad never recovered from it.

I'm pleased that this one worked for you.

Love Bobby

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
17 posted 2009-03-23 08:09 AM

Bobby, I was just shaking my head in horror ~ and compassion ~ while reading your poem and the war stories shared by both you and Eric.

War sucks! Even those who manage to get out physically unscathed, have scars that run very deep.

Love, Light, & World Peace,
Linda

Robert E. Jordan
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-25
Posts 8541
18 posted 2009-03-23 12:03 PM

Thanks dear Linda,

Yes, war does suck.  I'm all for world peace too.

Thanks for the kind words on the poem.

Love Bobby

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #44 » Bones Dad Sometimes Gets a Little Crazy

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary