navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #1 » Young Writers
Teen Poetry #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Young Writers Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Haskins
since 1999-06-26
Posts 85
Dallas, TX

0 posted 1999-06-27 04:27 PM

I am not a teen, but I enjoy reading the work of young writers.

I hope no one takes offense to this, but I feel it must be said: Do not feel obligated to follow rigid rhyme schemes.

I feel much of the poetry in this forum would be more cutting, more powerful if it were allowed to establish its own rhythm. Rhymes that are forced can throw the reader out of the mood.

Forget everything you've been taught about poetic form and release your feelings to their natural rhythms.

------------------
William Haskins
http://www.ionstorm.com/public/haskins/inner_sanctum.htm

© Copyright 1999 Haskins - All Rights Reserved
Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
1 posted 1999-06-27 07:41 PM

My first comment is this - We have a multitude of forums here at Passions... This one is intended for teen-age poetry postings.
This discussion is one that belongs in the "Philosophy" forum... Since my attempt to bring it there was fruitless, I'll repost my comment here - but - in the future, can we please keep our poetic postings and our philosophical orations in their own arenas?

I have to disagree with you, my friend, Haskins...

I feel strongly that both free and blank verse do, indeed, hold legitimate places
in the annals fine poetry - but...
The best works written in these unstructured formats will utilize extensive
literary imagery to enhance the reader's enjoyment.

If you are a proponent of metered, rhyming verse (and I admit that I am),
practice it - write more - and refine your skills. There's nothing like a good
sonnet, pantoum, or villanelle.
Poetry that is written with a rhyme scheme, but lacks a contiguous meter,
does not flow properly. That is what makes a poem sound "forced". Conversely,
a poem with flawless trimeter, tetrameter, pentameter, etc... along with a
specific rhyme scheme - sings like a rhapsody.

Never forget what you've learned about structured poetry. Do write your free
verse - But learn the value of simile, metaphor, personification, malapropism,
etc...

Become one with iambics, trochaics, and anapestics.... You'll be astounded at
your own ability to write....

William Shakespeare hasn't survived nearly 500 years of literary fame by
accident....

Nancy Ness

------------------
Nan's Morsels
netpoets.net/nan/index.html

[This message has been edited by Nan (edited 06-28-99).]

abra-cadabra
since 1999-06-21
Posts 75
Florissant, Missouri, USA
2 posted 1999-06-27 08:01 PM

Mr. Haskins,

I have posted many poems here that not a single line rhymed. But, some have. And I believe that there are some poems that one writes that have to rhyme. Otherwise, it just looks sloppy. I strongly believe in free-style wrting, but I also believe that some poems are meant to have a rhythm. Sometimes Things just need to rhyme.

But, also, I don't think that you tell people to write a certain way. Everyone has their own style of writing and it is wrong to tell them to stop what they're doing. It dosen't matter if it rhymes or not. People write because they love it or because they want to express their emotions. All they are doing here is sharing with others who have the same interest. And, they can also get an opinion from other poets. If a poem is special to the person who wrote it, why change it? Why tell them that they need to change it? That is THEIR way of writing and I think if they want to rhyme, then so be it.

Thank you,

Jamie Perano

Haskins
since 1999-06-26
Posts 85
Dallas, TX
3 posted 1999-06-27 08:06 PM

I certainly don't think that I tries to tell anyone to change what they are doing. I simply said, "Do not feel *obligated* to write in rhymes."

I think for a poet (particularly a young one) to paint him or herself into a corner based on conventional poetic wisdom will inevitably lead to a sacrifice of content for form.

------------------
William Haskins

[This message has been edited by Haskins (edited 06-27-99).]

abra-cadabra
since 1999-06-21
Posts 75
4 posted 1999-06-27 08:14 PM

I don't think that anyone uses this "conventional" style of writing. I've never seen it. Everyone, I believe, has their own style. It may seem conventional, but if you look closely, you can clearly see it's not. And it shouldn't matter what type of style it does have. If it is powerful or meaningful to the writer, then that's all that matters.

------------------

Jamie
~songs are only poems with music~

Haskins
since 1999-06-26
Posts 85
Dallas, TX
5 posted 1999-06-27 08:23 PM

Ah....I have to disagree with you on that one. "If it is powerful or meaningful to the writer, then that's all that matters" is rather masturbatory, don't you think?

If poetry is merely a way of mapping our own minds, a sort of introspective journal, then that's certainly fine...It IS a fantastic form of therapy...but then, why post here-- or anywhere for that matter?

Poetry that is read to another ear and placed before another eye should seek to make a connection. That connection relies upon style, structure, and meter to convey it.

Many people read the canon while in school and form their poetic paradigm from what I call "the conventional wisdom", a fairly narrow spectrum of structure and then they try to cram their own mental square blocks into the round holes that formal education provides them.

I am merely saying that there is enormous freedom in experimentation and if one holds to the humanist view that every person is unique, then surely there are infinite forms and structures that can express the fine-tuned emotions of the individual.

------------------
William Haskins

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
6 posted 1999-06-27 09:21 PM

Teens, not all adults will try to tell you what to think or how to think. If you feel you need help, you will ask for it. Poetry is a very special and very individual method of expression. You are writing poetry for one reason only - because you want to (unless the schools stuck in poetry credits necessary for graduation while I wasn't looking)You will experiment, you will look around, you will examine different forms and you will find what is best suited for your style of writing. I know you will because we all have. If rhymed poetry is your preference, don't allow anyone to try to steer you away, even under the guise of "friendly advice". If it is not, then another form is, and you will find that form. One of the greatest things of creating poetry, as in many other things in life, is finding your own way. May God save us from those determined to save us for "our own sake". Unsolicited opinions are among the most worthless things on earth. Follow your thoughts. You're not dopes. You will find your own way.

[This message has been edited by Balladeer (edited 06-27-99).]

Haskins
since 1999-06-26
Posts 85
Dallas, TX
7 posted 1999-06-27 09:25 PM

heh...

abra-cadabra
since 1999-06-21
Posts 75
8 posted 1999-06-27 10:38 PM

What can I say? Balladeer said it all. Exactly.

------------------

Jamie
~songs are only poems with music~

Haskins
since 1999-06-26
Posts 85
Dallas, TX
9 posted 1999-06-27 10:46 PM

I'll state again for the record that I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do. You guys seem a little rigid to me. I sense an intolerance for anything that is not gushing praise.

Write as you wish. I know I do.

------------------
William Haskins

beowulf_26
since 1999-06-29
Posts 183

10 posted 1999-06-29 11:42 PM

Opinions are like bellybuttons. Everybody has one and they're good for nothing.
Aprender
since 1999-06-22
Posts 40
Rohill, NJ, USA
11 posted 1999-06-30 12:34 PM

who cares???? Let everyone do what they plaese.
Alwye
Member Elite
since 1999-06-16
Posts 3850
In the space between moments
12 posted 1999-06-30 03:46 PM

I agree that everyone's style is their own and they should do what they choose. I also wanted to say that I am slightly dissapointed that a posting on style of poetry and everyone arguing over them has quite a few more postings than the actual poetry. Lets get some responses going!

------------------
*Krista Knutson*

Raven
since 1999-06-14
Posts 67
Hopewell Jct, New York, USA
13 posted 1999-06-30 06:12 PM

Poetry is something unique to each of us. There is no rigid form, what we write is who we are. Nothing about that is "rigid".

*~*Raven*~*
Haskins
since 1999-06-26
Posts 85
Dallas, TX
14 posted 1999-06-30 09:50 PM

I must say that I'm amused by the responses in this thread. I'd like to respond to a few of them, if I may. Please feel free to stop reading at any time if I dare offend the fragile sensibilities of anyone...

Balladeer writes: "May God save us from those determined to save us for "our own sake". Unsolicited opinions are among the most worthless things on earth. Follow your thoughts. You're not dopes."

Unfortunately, I thnk Balladeer is trying to paint a much more monstrous impression of my comments than either was explicitly or implicitly stated. I seek to save no one. As for unsolicited opinions being among the most worthless things on earth, I have to disagree... I have grown and learned more by accident than I ever have through any formal education. Read a couple of literary biographies and you will find that any artist's evolution has been set in motion by painful, but ultimately liberating, criticism. We cease to grow when we surround ourselves with sycophants who praise our every move. The critical eye can be an artist's best friend...

Alwye writes that she is "slightly dissapointed that a posting on style of poetry and everyone arguing over them has quite a few more postings than the actual poetry."

To this all I can say is that the more we understand about poetry, about its power, its ability to both inspire and disturb, the better off all writers are. In my opinion, there should be MORE discussion on poetic style in these forums.

I have to tell you that I relish, to some degree, being the villain in this matter. If you read the responses to most of the poems in these forums, you find praise that not even literary saints could elicit in their best years... Which is a good thing...God knows that poets these days need a lot of encouragement if the art form has any chance of surviving this crazy time in which we live.

But when praise is given too freely in the place of constructive dialogue, its value is cheapened. It's like winning a rigged card game. After a while, there's no stimulation, you can't lose. Then you cease to grow.

I've gone on long enough about this. If you want to continue writing greeting card verse and being told that it is brilliant, by all means keep up the fine work.

But if you forget about what being an artist is, and you simply like to have your ego stroked, do not pursue writing as a serious endeavor. Because English professors and magazine editors and book publishers will rip your heart out and stomp on it before your starry eyes.

Amen. And Hallelujah.

------------------
William Haskins

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #1 » Young Writers

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary