navwin » Discussion » Feelings » Wretched!
Feelings
Post A Reply Post New Topic Wretched! Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

0 posted 2004-08-02 03:57 PM

Grrr...

I just got the second huge speeding ticket I've had this month! I know that I'm bad.. but why are there speeding laws anyway! I think they should be more like... suggestions. Especially on the interstate! It's not like there will be people crossing there anyway Plus.. I've had my car at over 120 and have never lost control!

You'll all say that I'm immature for thinking all that and maybe you're right, but can you all give me some stories about your own driving mishaps so I won't feel so wretched?! Thanks

Oh, make me Thine forever
And should I fainting be
Lord, let me never ever
Outlive my love for Thee

© Copyright 2004 Erica N. - All Rights Reserved
Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
1 posted 2004-08-02 05:46 PM

I didn't get a driver's license until the day I turned 18, Erica, because of silly laws that I had to spend a whole summer in driver's ed to get it earlier. Hey, in a state like Michigan, summers are precious things! It's not like I needed to learn how to drive any way. Six months later, just before I shipped out to boot camp in California, they took it away. Too many tickets and fender-benders. I'm not sure how they count those point thingies, but 14 in six months suggests (to me) they weren't counting very well. After I got out of training, in September or October, I applied for and was granted a California driver's license. They took that one away, too. And I didn't even own a car? You just know that can't be right!

I didn't get another driver's license until I returned to Michigan in the early-Seventies. I kept that one until the mid-Seventies when I moved back to California and got one there. Kept that one, too. In fact, I haven't had an accident, moving violation or even fender-bender in over thirty years. If there is an argument that maturity makes a difference, I suspect I am a living, breathing testament to that argument. (Some people would probably argue that experience is more pertinent than maturity, citing the fact that I drive just as fast today as I did when I was eighteen. I just don't get caught.)

In short, Erica, all those traffic laws exist to protect others from drivers like you and me.

(You must have had a heck of a good tailwind, on a really big hill, to get a VW up to 120 mph. You sure the speedometer didn't come out of a Craker's Jack box? )

LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

2 posted 2004-08-02 05:55 PM

My car pegs out at 145 :P It's actually really speedy.. it's a bit slower uphill though, because it's a heavier car than, say, a Celica or something.

I hope they don't take my licence away! I'd die

And should I fainting be
Lord, let me never ever
Outlive my love for Thee

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
3 posted 2004-08-02 06:24 PM

"Limit???"

oh.

I thought it meant "minimum."

FWIW - I got my license at 16 (had been driving a good year already) and have to date only received 3 speeding tickets (and I'm close to discounting the one I got when first moving to Hawaii, since I had no way of knowing they had SUV's for cops...). Having commuted much of my early to mid twenties, I learned the necessity of staying just this side of the sound barrier (and still find it odd that many cars have speedometers that stop at 85, when you KNOW they're going much faster). Whether that discounts Ron's testimony or not, I can't say. But I will say that of the tickets I've received, every time was when I had a new girl riding in the car with me, distracting my attention away from searching out potential speed traps...

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
4 posted 2004-08-02 07:39 PM

quote:
My car pegs out at 145 :P It's actually really speedy

Really? That is a WHOLE LOT of hampsters running in their itty-bitty cages!

quote:
But I will say that of the tickets I've received, every time was when I had a new girl riding in the car with me, distracting my attention away from searching out potential speed traps...

That's exactly what I meant about maturity, Chris. At some point in a man's life, priorities shift and that becomes much less of a problem. But, uh, I'm guessing you've figured that out recently?

LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

5 posted 2004-08-02 09:04 PM

LOL@Chris

How will I know if I have lost points on my licence, and if I need to go to drivers school, esc.. ?

And should I fainting be
Lord, let me never ever
Outlive my love for Thee

nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
6 posted 2004-08-03 09:01 PM

when you go to traffic court...

unless you don't contest..but many times if you go to traffic court instead they will give you less points or even  suspend them...
or lower the fees

Good luck
M

Susan
Member Ascendant
since 2004-03-27
Posts 5104
walking the surreal
7 posted 2004-08-09 07:55 PM

You would like a story of why there is a speed limit?  How about death?  My uncle died at the age of 24 due to speed in an automobile.  He slammed into a tree and the car literally was shot up the tree before crashing down.  Needless to say, it was a closed casket.

This is why there are laws.  I too would rather drive fast, but then again . . .

Susan

Happiness isn't something that happens to you, it's created from within you.  Joy is a state of mind.

Titia Geertman
Member Ascendant
since 2001-05-07
Posts 5182
Netherlands
8 posted 2004-08-11 08:36 PM

What's so funny about driving fast???
If you want to race, join a racing team.
All those younsters are shouting 'I'm completely in controll' and yet the higest death rate by car accidents are among yougsters, at least in my country that is and they even have to be 18 to get a licence.

120 miles an hour, don't know how speedy that is over here, we count kilometers, but it can't be healthy, I'm sure.

Titia

Like scattered leaves...my words will flow

LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

9 posted 2004-08-16 10:03 PM

I've never lost control   Not of my vehicle, at least!

And sure, not everyone should be driving around at 90, but you know that most of the speed limits are in place just so cops can stop us and get the cash for the state. Most places ARE 'speed traps', espcailly when it's an area NOT near a school or without a lot of turnoffs or traffic lights..

And should I fainting be
Lord, let me never ever
Outlive my love for Thee

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Feelings » Wretched!

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary