navwin » Discussion » Feelings » I need advice...
Feelings
Post A Reply Post New Topic I need advice... Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Bec
since 2001-02-23
Posts 475
Canberra

0 posted 2001-12-10 01:06 AM

Hi all...

I have just found out that I have failed as a writer. Some of you may have read my short story "The Kitchen Floor" in Passions in Prose. That was for assessment, and while I passed that, I failed different creative writing class. My tutor said I have talent, but my story didn't convince him. I don't want you to tell me that I can write, because I like to think I can. What I would really appreciate is some advice on how to pick up and keep going, because this has been hugely devastating to the person I thought I was.

Bec  :'(

"Poetry and Hums aren't things which you get, they're things which get you. And all you can do is to go where they can find you."
-Winnie-the-Pooh

[This message has been edited by Bec (edited 12-10-2001).]

© Copyright 2001 Rebecca Soric - All Rights Reserved
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
1 posted 2001-12-10 01:58 AM

I am so sorry. I have not read your story yet, but I will. If it helps any, I remember someone once telling me my poetry sucked, that it wasn't worth the paper it was written on. That person couldn't write a three line poem if his life depended upon it, yet he felt qualified to criticize my writings. And for a short period of time, I was unable to write anything more than my name. Don't give anyone that kind of power, no matter how "qualified" they may seem to be. Keep writing. Of course, there will always be room for improvement, even the masters would have said as much. Let your spirit fill the pages, and edit as you see fit.
Bec
since 2001-02-23
Posts 475
Canberra
2 posted 2001-12-10 02:05 AM

Midnitesun... The work is now thrown on the floor and I don't know if I could ever look at it again. Right now I have a lot of doubt about myself, and I just so badly want to crawl into the corner and die. I want to let myself feel this pain for a while, I don't want to pretend it didn't happen, does that make sense? But I do need to get over it. Thank you so much for your encouragement, I really appreciate it.

"Poetry and Hums aren't things which you get, they're things which get you. And all you can do is to go where they can find you."
-Winnie-the-Pooh

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
3 posted 2001-12-10 10:04 AM

Perspiration Bec...

just climb back into the saddle...

Bec
since 2001-02-23
Posts 475
Canberra
4 posted 2001-12-10 04:09 PM

Local Rebel... I've talked to so many people about this, and they've all been so encouraging! You have no idea how many times "getting back on the horse" has been mentioned!

Believe it or not, I've found colouring books to be so therapeutic...   you can colour like mad and really hard for frustration, or you can concentrate on what you're doing and pay close attention to colours... I spent 45 minutes colouring Wind in the Willows!

I'm starting to feel better... and talking to your Mum always makes the monsters go away, even for a 20 year old.

Bec  

-Winnie-the-Pooh

Temptress
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-06-15
Posts 7136
Mobile, AL
5 posted 2001-12-10 06:26 PM

I don't have any thoughts but this at this point, Bec.

One failed work does not equal your failure as a writer.   Just keep trying. The fact that they said you had potential obviously means you have talent.  Everyone has to grow and develop the talents they have, so there is no need to get discouraged because you do not do well on every work.  

*Jenn*

Your storm of assumption feeds anger I am calm enough to hold inside. Don't pretend to know me if you've never put stretched out your heart with since

[This message has been edited by Temptress (edited 12-10-2001).]

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
6 posted 2001-12-10 06:42 PM

When I was fifteen, my older brother convinced me to drop out of Golden Gloves competition because, as he said, I would never be able to walk and chew bubble gum at the same time. I looked at Mike, three years my senior and as graceful in the ring as a dancer, and believed him.

Several years later I again entered the ring, this time in the Marines. I did okay. Some thought better than okay. I wasn't greatly more coordinated, either, but I had discovered most matches were won between the ears, thus finding a different path to the same goal. And I realized that allowing my brother to compare our relative skills, to essentially determine my successes and failures by his own arbitrary yard stick, had been a terrible mistake.

People tend to judge the ability of others based only on their own skill set. In fact, it's really all they have. My brother had been fast and graceful, and that was his key to success. Therefore he saw as it THE key to success. That my success might lie along a different path was inconceivable to him. And I was foolish enough to listen to him.

No one can ever determine your ultimate success or failure except YOU, and that's especially true in a field where success and failure are so nebulous. A poem might fail to meet your expectations, a story might fail to excite you, but those are never YOU. Those are just stepping stones, along a path that may yet lead to incredible success. It's a path ALL writers must walk.

The only person who ever failed was the one who quit trying. And I think in every single case, it was because they listened to someone else.

Bec
since 2001-02-23
Posts 475
Canberra
7 posted 2001-12-10 06:44 PM

Temptress... Thank you. Failing this class does make life a little more difficult, but as I talk to friends and family, I'm getting it together and preparing to approach those necessary for discussion. Thanks you guys, you're the best!

Bec  

-Winnie-the-Pooh

Bec
since 2001-02-23
Posts 475
Canberra
8 posted 2001-12-10 06:47 PM

Ron...

Wow... thank you for sharing that with me. I'm getting right back in the saddle you guys. Thanks heaps. I'm going to start writing very soon, and give myself lots of time to think and research. It's great to know that you guys are so supportive. Things always seem to be better in the morning, and this is no exception! I feel great, and it's in part thanks to you!

Bec  

-Winnie-the-Pooh

Siofra
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2000-09-28
Posts 551
State of Suspended Passion
9 posted 2001-12-11 02:52 AM

Let me echo Ron's most eloquent thoughts, and let me also echo Temptress here, Bec.  

Keep going...One day you will look back and hardly notice what slowed you down before.   and you'll be amazed.  

I am many.

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
10 posted 2001-12-11 06:35 PM

Glad you're getting back on the horse.

A fellow by the name of Fred Smith once turned in a paper in business school on formulating a business based on shipping packages through a central location for overnight distribution.

His professor gave him a D (or an F I don't remember exactly) with the note "This will never work."

Instead of giving up on himself and his plan he implemented the plan.  The company is known as Federal Express.

History is full of examples like these.  

Irish Rose
Member Patricius
since 2000-04-06
Posts 10263

11 posted 2001-12-11 08:20 PM

Hi.  Yes, this broke my heart to read.
I'm 51 years old.  I've only been writing for about four years now.  I'm no Emily Dickinson~!  But I have been where you are. Maybe worse, I don't know. I had personal journals, writings, taken from me, burned right in front of me.  I was severely punished for writing anything.  I struggled through English class and still struggle with grammar.  Once I was ridiculed for expressing myself and made fun of in front of the entire family, I was about 16.

Never stop writing, just b/c you "fail" or someone says you did doesn't mean you fail as a writer/person/poet/dreamer.

It's more than education, my dear, it's an inner drive, for the more fortunate, a gift,
and it's a passion.

For some, it can be a life-saver.  No, it's not the most important thing in a person's life but a goal is.  How badly you want it, what you are willing to do to achieve it.
You have time on your side, so much.
What I would give to go back and find a way
for the freedom I never had.

Expression is a means to take the invisible emotion inside of you and relate it to others so that they do, may understand. We all have that ability to a degree.

The writer who can learn never fails.

Never put down your dream.  Not for anyone or anything.

It sustains you sometimes when nothing else will.  

Kathleen (Kay)
"When red-haired girls scamper like roses over the rain-green grass, and the sun drips honey."
Laurie Lee

Moon Dust
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 1999-06-11
Posts 2177
Skelmersdale, UK
12 posted 2001-12-11 08:24 PM

Alright when I get critism i'm not happy with I ask why and try to improve myself  in the way of their thinking. I try to turn negative into positive. I also think that not everyone is going to be please with my work but a lot of people are. So dont let the minority get you down listen to the people who care.

I breathe the dust, the dust is me.

Elizabeth
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 1999-06-07
Posts 6871
Minnesota
13 posted 2001-12-13 03:44 PM

What did it fail to convince him of? It was a short story. I don't understand why your professor needed to be convinced of something from a story. If he wanted convincing, he should have assigned a persuasive essay or speech.

But keep in mind that he said you did have talent. Glad you're going to keep writing.  

God bless America, my home sweet home.

Bec
since 2001-02-23
Posts 475
Canberra
14 posted 2001-12-17 06:05 PM

Thank you all so much for your advice and assistance. I think I'm heading in the right direction now. I have decided to arrange a meeting with the powers that be to discuss the problem to see where I went wrong.

You guys are great!

Bec  

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Feelings » I need advice...

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary