navwin » Discussion » Feelings » Notes about my Goddess Series
Feelings
Post A Reply Post New Topic Notes about my Goddess Series Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Sven
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 1999-11-23
Posts 14937
East Lansing, MI USA

0 posted 2001-09-27 12:22 PM

My Goddess Series will take up my next 1,000 posts (from 11,000 to 12,000).  

In this series, I’m going to take a look at the Goddess in many of her aspects, and in many of her names.  As you can see, I’ve already covered a number of traditions with what I’ve done so far.  From Oshun of Africa, to the Roman Diana, the Goddess exists in many forms and in many stories.  

Currently, the poems are taking the shape of prayers to the Goddess in question.  In each prayer, I’ve tried to relate some of the aspects of each Goddess, as well as a little bit of the stories and lessons that they pass on to us from their various traditions.  As the series goes along, I will expand on that and do some “Mini-series” within the larger Goddess Series.

Right now, there will be 3 of these Mini-series.  The first one will deal with Goddesses of Poetry, Writing and Creativity, the second one will be “Voices of the Goddess”, and the third one will be “Interludes”.

“Voices of the Goddess” will be an attempt to give a selection of Goddesses, chosen and suggested by members of Passions, a contemporary voice.  If we could talk to these Goddesses today, in the flesh, what would they say?  How would they feel about the world?  Would they wonder why they have been forgotten and cast aside by those that followed them and their teachings?  How would they feel about those that have taken up their cause today?  

The “Interludes”, of which “The Three Priestesses” is the first, will be a set of reflections based on the series as a whole.  Sort of like “meditative responses” to the stories I’ve told and the things that I’ve learned.  

The Goddess Series is also part of my ongoing growth, both spiritually and as a Poet.  It’s a way for me to explore another part of myself.  To ask some questions, and hopefully, to find some answers.  

I was inspired to write this series because of my 11,000th post.  The thought just came to me that I should write a Goddess poem (that poem was Dedication, my 11,000th post.)  After I wrote that, the thought that I should write an entire series of these just would not go away.  So, listening to my inner voice, I began to collect stories and did as much research as I could into names of the various Goddesses from the various traditions of history and from various peoples of the world.  This has been most satisfying and has given me a great degree of pleasure.  The stories are wonderful, and the lessons that they teach are equally as wonderful.

So, there you have it.  I decided to make this “note” for all of you so that you would know where my inspiration came from, and to give you an idea of what to expect.  It’s always fun to see where the writer gets his ideas, and I hope that you’ve enjoyed this little trip into my mind.  I also hope that you will enjoy reading this series as much as I will (and already have) enjoy bringing it to you.  

If there’s a Goddess that you’d like to see me write about, or, if you’ve got a suggestion for the “Voices of the Goddess” series, just e-mail me, or find the “Voices Challenge” post in the Poetry Challenge forum.

Thank you.  

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To the world, you may only be one person. But to one person, you may be the world.

© Copyright 2001 John Garcia - All Rights Reserved
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

1 posted 2001-09-27 05:40 PM

Try Sophia...I think it would be interesting to "hear" how a Goddess of Wisdom felt about her temples being torn down.   There's Biblical reference here, but I just woke up so don't ask me to think---Sophia and I don't speak until I'm wide awake.  
rwood
Member Elite
since 2000-02-29
Posts 3793
Tennessee
2 posted 2001-09-27 09:10 PM

I'm so glad to see you listen to yourself and follow your heart! I've really enjoyed the beauty in the poems. I need all the beautiful and uplifting things I can get right now. I'd gladly love to hear about any Goddess of Love and Beauty. I'm gonna hop to your other post in challenge.

Sincerely,
Regina

Tracey
Member Elite
since 2001-08-29
Posts 2808
where insanity meets breeding
3 posted 2001-09-27 11:03 PM

I am looking forward to hearing more of your Goddess series. They are lovely so far

If she who dies with the most toys wins, then can I have some toy boys please?

Interloper
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-11-06
Posts 8369
Deep in the heart
4 posted 2001-09-28 12:52 PM

You could write about SEA.  She's more of a Siren than a Goddess, but certainly a combination of the two  

And don't forget about Sunshine.  She illuminates our pages with her talent.

And you certainly cannot forget ... Well, you know Oh gr8 voice of the Northlands.

I look forward to your work ... write on my friend, write on

rascalx
since 1999-08-25
Posts 590
Florence, SC, USA
5 posted 2001-10-01 10:00 PM

This should be very interesting, informative, and enjoyable to read. I'm looking forward to reading this series. Good writing, my friend.  
catalinamoon
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-03
Posts 9543
The Shores of Alone
6 posted 2001-10-07 04:15 PM

Is there a Goddess of lost loves, if so I would like to hear more of her.
You have a great talent, my friend, and it is much appreciated.
Sandra

Dee
Member Elite
since 2000-08-19
Posts 2330
Queensland, Australia
7 posted 2001-10-09 07:08 AM

How about an Irish one Sven? http://www.fionabroome.com/history/brigid.html

I believe she was the protector of poets and dreamers.....suits us down to the ground.

Dee

I wish you every happiness and may you always have the best of the good things in life.     a brand

Moon Dust
Member Elite
since 1999-06-11
Posts 2177
Skelmersdale, UK
8 posted 2001-10-09 10:18 PM

how about venus greek goddess of love

I breathe the dust, the dust is me.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Feelings » Notes about my Goddess Series

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary