navwin » Discussion » Feelings » What Passions Means - 10,000 times
Feelings
Post A Reply Post New Topic What Passions Means - 10,000 times Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley

0 posted 2000-11-21 12:26 PM

What does Passions do for you? Why did you come here and STAY here this whole time?

I chose to mark my 10,000th post to answer this most important question (thanks Dopey = PLEASE get a new name I feel like Snow White!LOL)

I came to Passions by invitation. I was posting on the MiningCo.com forum (now About.com) and so was a gentleman by the name of Ron Carnell. In November, 1998, he invited me to post on his website. I submitted a poem and magically it was accepted. The site began to grow, and grow and grow. By January, 1999 there were hundreds of poems. I submitted a few more and they were accepted.

At Nan’s request, Ron created a forum for poets to post their poetry that would give them instant feedback. I didn’t post there as I was still unsure of my work and would have felt crushed if someone didn’t like it! Then in May 1999, Ron opened a second forum. “Old Blue” as we called it. I joined the group there and thus began to gain acceptance for my work.

When this forum opened, there was a small group of us left and we quickly gathered more and more members – each unique – each adding something to Passions.

What does Passions do for me? Nothing. The people here do a lot for me though! Give me acceptance, feedback, honesty, laughter, tears, sighs and most importantly, friendship.

Why do I keep coming back? Because it would hurt too much to leave.

I'd like to thank Ron for believing in me and for giving me a chance to be a part of this magnificent creation. To all the members here, for all the hours of wonderful reading, the shared lives, the tears, the laughter, the pain - thank you.

Thank you................

dates fixed!!

© Copyright 2000 Poet deVine - All Rights Reserved
WhtDove
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-22
Posts 9245
Illinois
1 posted 2000-11-21 12:46 PM

Sharon CONGRATS on your 10,000 post!! Woohoo!

As for me, I fell over this site accidentally. I was finding poetry sites, and put some of mine on other places, but they weren't interactive. When I found this place, I felt really intimidated to post to others.

As I got replies back, it was just awesome, that someone could relate to what I wrote, or even enjoyed it for that fact.

This became my FIRST and only home of poetry.
Since then I've formed some wonderful friendships here. I love the poetry, and mostly the people I've met is what keeps me coming back.

Like Sharon said, you can laugh, cry, but there's one thing here in Passions you won't find anywhere else, that is the Passion of the poets and their care of others.
They're always willing to listen, stand behind you, and be there when you really need them.

This is home, it's more than just friends, these people have become family.

Congrats Sharon, Passions wouldn't be the same without you!!

LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

2 posted 2000-11-21 01:16 AM

I found Passions on New Years Day, 2000. I started by reading on the main site, and then I came to the forums a few days later. I had been to different forums, and I was amazed how friendly everyone was here. I look back at my first few posts, and I want to scream!!! Nobody gave me anything but encouragement, though. I get a lot of heat over my writing in real life, and I would have probably given it up if it wasn't for Passions.

The people here at Passions have helped me through problems that people in "real life" never realized I had. Elizabeth Santos became my mentor, and she taught me a lot about poetry and about life. Throughout my hopeless romances, the people at Passions have been here to offer advice and to get me going again.

Later on, I was appointed as moderator of the Teen forum. It isn't always an easy job, but it is well worth the work. If I can help out someone the way you guys have helped me, then my job is done.

When the rest of the world gets too harsh, and it seems like you don't have a friend...
there's Passions.

Congrats on the 10,000th post, Sharon.

"Where there is great love there are always miracles" -Cather
"Love heals everything, and love is all there is"- Zukav

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

3 posted 2000-11-21 01:39 AM

Congratulations sharon!!!

I am suddenly without words to convey just how much your friendship means to me. You make me feel sane, and that is no easy task.

So thank you. Your spirit shines in Passions, helping to make it the wonderful place that it is.

nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
4 posted 2000-11-21 06:48 AM

Congratulations, Sharon. You shared the best 10,000th post anyone could...with the nicest poets and readers (poets at heart). I wish you as nice a stay as you have had, ten fold. I always look forward to your kind responses of support to myself and others.

Thank you for being you  

~Wynter Bliss

"The worst prison would be a closed heart".
...Pope John Paul II

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
5 posted 2000-11-21 07:29 AM

My gosh - Time flies when you're having fun, doesn't it? It seems like there was no life before Passions.. Well, there certainly was no CYBER-LIFE - I'll vouch for that.. So everything that happened before is now officially B.P. - Before Passions... and everything after is A.P. After Passions...    

GEESH.... 10,000 Patrician Posts... YIKES.. That's truly  awesome, Sharon...  

[This message has been edited by Nan (edited 11-21-2000).]

Sven
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 1999-11-23
Posts 14937
East Lansing, MI USA
6 posted 2000-11-21 12:25 PM

Now, you know that I had to reply to this one.

I found this place purely on accident. . . little did I know that when I did, that I would be here for so long, that I would meet such WONDERFUL people (like the lady who started this thread) and that I would be a better poet and person because of them.

Sharon, I'm really glad that I met you.  Words escape me right now as to how much you've helped me over the past year, but I just wanted you to know.  Passions wouldn't be the same without you. . . and we wouldn't be the same without you. . .

Congratulations to you my friend. . . you deserve it. . .  

John

--------------------------------------------------------

That which gives light must endure burning
--Victor Frankl

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
7 posted 2000-11-21 12:29 PM

I was at a crossroads when I stumbled onto Passions...

and from the get-go, the feeling one gets in reading the comments to the poetry is "hey friend, c'mon in...we'll tell you if it's good or bad, and we're here for your emotions, happy or sad..."

in other words, there is NO down time NOT to be at Passions...someone's always around...just waiting to read your work...

there are groups that like certain things, hence all of the growth of forums...

it was a special, special day when I was contacted about being on the newsletter...as an editor...wow...so I can't write...at least they noted a trustworthy red cyberpen...

and then a second invite, as a moderator...

did I ever find the right spot?  You BET I did...

and Ron, Sharon, Nan, Deer, other fellow moderators...thank you for everything...

and to ALL of the poets...

keep writing!

Karilea
If I whisper, will you listen?...
I would rather be silent and write, than speak loudly and be bound.
KRJ

Elizabeth Cor
since 2000-10-13
Posts 879
Over the river and through the woods
8 posted 2000-11-21 02:34 PM

I found this place by accident... and then I realized everyone here was almost as crazy as I was! How can a mental case shrug off acceptance???

I've benefited more from being here than I would have ever believed. And beforehand, I could not conceive of the ways and areas that this has happened.

*warm mooshies to everybody*

~ Beth

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
9 posted 2000-11-21 02:43 PM

In October of 1998, I registered my first "post-retirement" domain, with the intention of using it to cover some of the topics I was then teaching at a local community college. About a month later, and purely on whim, I created a subdirectory on that domain called "poetry" and started designing what would eventually become Passions. Included in that project were about a score of my own poems, dating back to my teenage years.

On December 5, 1998, Passions received its very first submission to the main site, an interesting poem called "Serenade of the Sirens," by one Poet deVine. Two days later, on the seventh, I received our second submission, "Just a Little Longer," by Maria Byrne (also a current Member of the forums) and, a few days later on the 11th, our third poem called "Sleeping Beauty," by Michael Anderson. By the end of that December and the beginning of 1999, Passions boasted 22 Resident Poets.

That first incarnation of Passions still exists, even though on January 3rd I registered the netpoets.com domain and moved the entire site to a new web server. If you point your browser to http://rcarnell.com/poetry/ you will still find the first, original Passions in Poetry pages. Much as changed in the nearly two years that have passed. But much, much more remains the same.

From the very beginning, our First Resident Poet has very much influenced both the design and growth of Passions. Many, many of the most popular features at the main site were the result of long email conversations with both Sharon and Michael, and in a larger sense, the very direction of the Passions was established during those days.

From a technical standpoint, Sharon is not the best poet I've encountered in the two years since starting Passions, though she's certainly in the list of top contenders. She's not the most prolific, though I am constantly amazed (and daunted) at her ability to write on any topic, any conceivable challenge, and quickly come up with very meaningful verse, and I strongly suspect she could give the most prolific a run for their money if she were to try. Sharon is not the most open person I've met in these two years, though her veil of privacy (colored edge to edge with a shimmering coat of humor) is thinner than many and - I believe - grows thinner with each passing day.

Sharon is, however, and without a single doubt, the most caring and compassionate person I've met not just in these two years, but perhaps in my entire life. She has a heart as large and unending as the horizon, and an attitude as bright and colorful as the rainbow that spans it. Unlike many, she adopts not causes, but people. She looks for the good in others, and inevitably finds it. No one is more willing, even eager, to help another human being. And because she truly cares, because she finds the good in everyone, no one is more able to help. Two years after our first on-line conversations, nearly two years after she became our First Resident Poet, Sharon still remains the gauge by which I measure the goals and worth of Passions. If we can remain a fraction as caring, a small measure as willing to help others, then we will have served a purpose.

Sharon, I salute you. Not for 10,000 posts, inspiring as that may be, but for the thousands of people you have influenced, encouraged, and so often helped while making all those posts. Passions is a better place because of the direction you helped give it. These forums are a warmer home because you remain active and a part of them. And I am a better person because I have known you.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
10 posted 2000-11-21 04:31 PM

hear hear, what Ron said!  WOW!

Karilea
If I whisper, will you listen?...
I would rather be silent and write, than speak loudly and be bound.
KRJ

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
11 posted 2000-11-21 06:11 PM

I have to agree with you, Sunshine.  I found this wonderful thread early this morning before I went off to work, and naturally commented - though briefly... I knew I'd come back to say more later today - and when I did, I found these beautiful heartfelt words that Ron's so wonderfully expressed... I could never say it better... nope.. never..

So - What Ron said!!

Then of course, it's very important to me that you, Sharon, should know just how much I personally applaud your contributions to these forums.  Your enthusiasm... your spontaneity... your sense of humor... your innovative ideas... your empathy... your comPassion... your Passion... are all unsurpassed..

Thank you for being YOU - all 10,000 posts of you...

Jamie
Member Elite
since 2000-06-26
Posts 3168
Blue Heaven
12 posted 2000-11-21 07:30 PM

I would imagine that most everyone who came and lingered did so because of people like you Sharon. This place is the hearth to sit on but folks like you are the fire that warms us.   10,000  

Jamie

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito. - Virgil.
"Yield thou not to adversity, but press on the more bravely".

Romy
since 2000-05-28
Posts 1170
Plantation, Florida
13 posted 2000-11-21 08:27 PM

Yes, it was my very first post here and I was so worried about what kind of response I would get.
I got friendly, interested, responses and a welcoming e-mail from Poet Devine!
That's what brought me back and the people here are why I stay!
Thank-you for making this such a unique place to be a part of!

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
14 posted 2000-11-21 08:51 PM

I am truly at a loss for words. So I will just say thank you.
WhtDove
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-22
Posts 9245
Illinois
15 posted 2000-11-21 11:30 PM

Ron you have a way with words. You've certainly expressed Sharon to a TEE!
This is 100% her.  I could just never find the words to say what you've said here.

She is all that to so many! It's an honor to know her and a bigger honor to be her friend.
She's made a BIG difference not just here but in my life as well!!

God bless you Sharon for all you do and all you are! HUGz

Sven
Member Laureate
since 1999-11-23
Posts 14937
East Lansing, MI USA
16 posted 2000-11-22 12:49 PM

Ron, you have said it all my friend. . .

She is indeed a person of great wonder. . .  

-----------------------------------------------------

That which gives light must endure burning
--Victor Frankl

fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

17 posted 2000-11-22 03:47 PM

Congrats on the 10 000th post!  

I found Passions when I was looking for tutorials on the internet, on how to write good poetry.  I was in an english literature class in highschool, and had, as a result, become interested in writing poetry of my own.  Not for fame, like the classic poets, but because my teacher always stressed the theraputic value of poetry.  This spawned in me, an interest in creating written work which was a cross between the visual arts, and the written word.  This was just after I'd written "A Vision of the Future?"(I think that's in the old Dark Passions #1, now).  And so I decided to put some of the stuff I'd already written up for reading, to see how it faired in the waters, alongside everybody else's work.  It did well.

I am thankful to Ron for creating such a sweet place to blow off emotional steam that would otherwise be bottled up until I did something rash, lol.  I am also thankful to everyone else who is here.  Although I've not gone through the troubles that some of you have, I have still found this place supportive, none the less.  It's having the freedom to create, while at the same time 'learning on the job'.

Anyhow, thank you all for creating such a wonderful place.  I am quite sure that in the near future, Passions will become one of the highlights of the internet, at least as far as poets are concerned.  But I would not be surprised if this extended to others who have not yet embraced the wonderful art that poetry is.

I look forward to reading and creating many, many more works here.

CU,
Fractal007

JOY 14
since 1999-09-22
Posts 1419
Wisconsin USA
18 posted 2000-11-22 03:54 PM

I came across this place on accident too. But I'm glad I found it. Right now I'd like to thank Ron and everyone else here for making me feel, at a time in my life where I felt worthless to everyone on the planet, that I had a place, a home where people appreciated me and gave me feedback that I was a good poet and a good person.

I never would have believed that through wires I could ever create friendships and cry and feel feelings for people that I've never met. But you know what? I have met all of you who I've ever read a poem or responce and I hope you've met me as well.
I just want to say from the bottom of my heart THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll never forget this place on the web, which is much more than that, and someday will be telling my grandchildren about all of you. Do you think they'll believe there were ever such things as computers?

Signing off for today,
Joy

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

19 posted 2000-11-22 10:22 PM

After reading Ron's words?  I had to come back too.  Tossing roses and a standing ovation for you Sharon. You are much beloved, me friend!!!
Kit McCallum
Administrator
Member Laureate
since 2000-04-30
Posts 14774
Ontario, Canada
20 posted 2000-11-22 11:38 PM

Congratulations on 10,000 posts Sharon.  I'm truly honoured to call you friend, and am constantly astounded by the depths of your warmth, your caring nature and your love for both Passions and most of all, the people of Passions. You are one in a million ...    

Passion's heart beats strong and true,
On wings of angels, such as you;
Each cherished poet calls you friend,
To every one ... your hand extends.

Deep in the heart of pages blue,
Enchanted by the depths of you,
Visions rise and passions fly,
In woven threads and sweet replies;
Now kindred spirits honor you,
Enriched and blessed by all you do.

Much love,
/Kit

[This message has been edited by Kit McCallum (edited 11-23-2000).]

WhtDove
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-22
Posts 9245
Illinois
21 posted 2000-11-23 10:18 AM

Kit that was beautiful!!
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
22 posted 2000-11-23 10:51 AM

Kit, that was lovely. Thank you!    

You guys are great.

Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

23 posted 2000-11-23 12:24 PM

Congratulations, Sharon!! This place wouldn't be the same without you!!

Denise

Moon Dust
Member Elite
since 1999-06-11
Posts 2177
Skelmersdale, UK
24 posted 2000-11-23 02:04 PM

Congrads Here since its your 10,000 I wrote you a senryu

Home to everyone,
Passions grew from the first day,
With the nicest peeps

Life has got to chnage,
Nothing stays the same,
Soon it will be time,
For me to move on.

Dopey Dope
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2000-08-30
Posts 11132
San Juan, Puerto Rico
25 posted 2000-11-24 02:36 PM

POet Deviiiiiiiinnnnneeeeeeeee....it's cool you used my question for yer 10,000th post.
OHhhh.....but i love my name hehehe...

Call me Javier if you don't wanna use Dopey_Dope....

Mwhahahaha!!

Passions till I die!
*sticks up fist*

I was born myself, raised myself, and will continue to be myself. The world will just have to adjust.

I hate your socks. I'd like to burn them!

catalinamoon
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-03
Posts 9543
The Shores of Alone
26 posted 2000-11-24 03:58 PM

Well, this is a nice tribute to Sharon, an awesome poet and sweetheart of a person and friend. I came here accidentally, and got so much wonderful support and friendship that I had to stay. Even when I have no words to write, I come and read at least several times a week, I can't stay away. All of you have pulled me through one of the worst emotional times of my life recently, and I will always appreciate and love you for it. I hope Passions is here forever! When we are all old and gray,(oh wait, I already am ) we will still be boosting eachothers morale, and comforting the sad, and writing some DAMN good poetry in the process.
Love to you, Sharon, and keep posting..
Sandra

wayoutwalt
Member Elite
since 1999-06-22
Posts 4870
TEXAS (it's all big)
27 posted 2000-11-25 06:47 AM

PDV you mark the occasion in style. I remember the blue pages I am that old. Nan invited me there becuz it was a "secret" site and I was so thrilled yuh yuh. I didn't like it much so I stayed at the, already by then, established forums. It's all just grown and grown and i love it. What passions means to me is a place to stretch my wings and fly. Boy has my poetry grown as well as my understanding of others yuh yuh. Love you all!
Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
28 posted 2000-12-14 06:35 PM

And now while the cat (Sharon) is away, I want to throw my few cents in here as well.

I came to Passions in early August of 1998. I was member #689 to join. At the time, Passions almost seemed overwhelmingly large. (Little did we know!) Open Poetry had yet to have a “#1” next to it, and many of the other forums – such as The Corner Pub, English and Poetry Workshops, etc., had yet to come into existence. Staying on the first page of Open didn’t require the ruling of a Floridian court, though it still wasn’t easy! But as Ron said, there was an air of caring about the place. Instead of feeling like a battlefield, like many of the other bulletin boards do, PiP seemed more like a Little House on the Prairie story!   I posted my first poem, and out of two people to respond to it (we didn’t used to have that nifty flashing folder which lets everyone know the person’s a new user) Sharon was there. And that seemed to set a precedent. I think very few have slipped her grasp since then – and always her responses have been encouraging and uplifting… even to the point of almost embarrassment! (Me? Embarrassed? Is that possible???)

It wasn’t too long after that that Sharon and I started speaking on ICQ. We had an instant connection – I was the bad boy, she was the good girl… Ok, so she’s not that good, but she plays innocent really well! Sharon has been not only one of my staunchest supporters through many fiascos, and countless dramas, but she’s also been one of the biggest encouragements in my life when things start looking down. She has always been there to pick me up, to chat, to joke, to knock some sense into me, whatever.

And yes, as Ron also said, she’s a secretive person – But I think that too has lifted a little as the time has gone by. I’d like to think that I’ve been able to return some of what she’s given me, and that this amazing woman has been able to find some comfort in my silliness and devout admiration of her, her talents and her attitude. She is one of, if not the most honestly caring and nice people I’ve had the honor of knowing. And even if you put that aside, she’s witty, intelligent – has the BEST and most ideas of anyone I’ve ever known. All in all, a most amazing woman. I agree with Ron – the tribute isn’t for 10,000 posts, but rather for you, Sharon, the best friend a guy could ever ask for.

Love you lady,

Chris

[This message has been edited by Christopher (edited 12-14-2000).]

dreamer1 12 5 24
since 2000-12-11
Posts 150
crossing between
29 posted 2000-12-15 10:47 PM

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm still kind of new, and I don't really know anyone, but after reading all that, you're on my list! Someone is well-liked! Congratulations on 10000!
(That does say ten thousand, right? I'm a little tired)

....peace as a primary objective is dangerous because it implies that we would sacrifice anything for the sake of it....

shira
since 2000-12-12
Posts 88
Hamburg, PA
30 posted 2000-12-16 08:45 PM

Congratulations on 10,000 posts! And let me saym that even as a newbie, I am very impresed and feel very welcomed by the site and the people who reside here. I came across the site accidentally, while looking for a poem to send to a friend, and I have been here ever since, and am posting some of my own. What does this site mean to me? Well, in all my newness, so far, it has beena great place to read about people, and what makes them tick, and to find out that we are all basically the same. There is a kinship in a lot of what  I read here, because much of it could have come right from my own thoughts. So I can associate myself easily with the authors. I think I am really going to like it here - I do alreasy.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Feelings » What Passions Means - 10,000 times

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary