navwin » Discussion » Feelings » What if?
Feelings
Post A Reply Post New Topic What if? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Romy
since 2000-05-28
Posts 1170
Plantation, Florida

0 posted 2000-10-31 11:10 AM

This question has probably been asked before but I've been wondering;

If you could change only one thing in your life right this moment, what would it be and how would you do it?

Any comments?

© Copyright 2000 Deborah L. Carter - All Rights Reserved
SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
1 posted 2000-10-31 11:25 AM

Debbie~ I have lots of things I'd like to change in my life........I  would really like more patience....with 3 kids I find I'm lacking.......how I would change it..I have no idea......it is something I work on daily....I keep trying to remind myself how I behaved when I was young. Now that is scary!   -SEA
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

2 posted 2000-10-31 11:35 AM

Easy.  No drugs.
Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
3 posted 2000-10-31 01:04 PM

Hmm - I don't deny that I've done the "I wish" thing more than once or twice in my life... but if I sit down and really think about it... I don't think I'd change anything. Yes, there have been a lot of painful things happen in my life, some which on the surface, I wish would have turned out differently... but then again... I am who I am today (be quiet...) because of what's happened in my life. Who knows how I would have turned out if things had gone differently? Hey - I could have been a bigger pain! And from everything that's happened - I've learned something. It may not have been much, hell... it may not even have been a good lesson... but it all makes up one thing: ME.

C

SEA
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
4 posted 2000-10-31 01:06 PM

Christopher~ are you going as Popeye this Halloween?! Sorry sweetie, couldn't resist  -SEA
Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
5 posted 2000-10-31 02:13 PM

SEA
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
6 posted 2000-10-31 03:29 PM

Christopher~ You ROCK!!   -SEA
Kit McCallum
Administrator
Member Laureate
since 2000-04-30
Posts 14774
Ontario, Canada
7 posted 2000-10-31 06:58 PM

Geez, Chris, I'm agreeing with you on every turn lately ... will you get out of my head, it's getting crowded in here? LOL!  

I feel the same way, and that's exactly what I meant when I wrote this one the other day ...
/pip/Forum42/HTML/001906.html

[This message has been edited by Kit McCallum (edited 10-31-2000).]

Romy
since 2000-05-28
Posts 1170
Plantation, Florida
8 posted 2000-10-31 08:05 PM

Kit, Your poem is lovely and it does mirror Chris's comments on the question.

But Chris even if you're happy with who you are, isn't there anything you would want to change?

I think my shyness has caused me to avoid some people or situations in my life sometimes. Wish I knew how to change that.

Sea, I agree, I wish somebody could bottle patience and sell me a case at half-price!

Serenity, everybody I know has been touched by drugs in one way or another...This would be a needed change...

Kit McCallum
Administrator
Member Laureate
since 2000-04-30
Posts 14774
Ontario, Canada
9 posted 2000-10-31 09:13 PM

This is a great topic Debbie ... I love pondering these thoughts!

As I eluded to, I truly don't think I'd change a thing. It's something I've spent a lot of time thinking about (and I thought I was the only one, LOL).

But really, "who" would we be, if we were not the compilation of all our experiences past, every moment of them ... the good, the bad, the ugly. There's some things that I think, knowing what I know "now" (being older and wiser) that I'd wished I'd done differently in hindsight, but does that mean I would/should change some of those "bad" decisions if I had a chance?

Through all my own ponderings, I guess the conclusion I keep coming to, is that I would "not" change anything.  Some of those decisions really shaped me. Were some of them stupid and hurtful to me? Sure ... but did they benefit me in some way, in the long run?  ... you bet! Older and wiser ... I think that's how we get there, to that phrase. I sure wasn't wise in my earlier days (and I still may not be) ... but I sure learned from some of those mistakes, and I continue to apply that learned knowledge to current issues. Love this topic!  

Dopey Dope
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2000-08-30
Posts 11132
San Juan, Puerto Rico
10 posted 2000-11-03 02:16 PM

OK well if I could change something about my life i would have probably learned how to play guitar when I was 14. My parents denied the fact that music was a passion of mine and wouldn't let me play guitar due to it being a "phase". So anyway.....i know you'd expect me to say some life changing, huge experience that I wish i wouldn't have gone through and believe me there's tons....but if those things didn't happen then I wouldn't have become the person I am now. So ummmm......i'll just have to go with the guitar thing on this one.

"I was born myself, raised myself, and will continue to be myself. The world will just have to adjust."

I hate your socks. I'd like to burn them!

catalinamoon
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-03
Posts 9543
The Shores of Alone
11 posted 2000-11-04 09:15 PM

One thing, for sure, would be continuing with writing in college, instead of getting discouraged and letting it go.  Another would be chossing a MUCH better human being to be the father of my daughter. Another, (though it was my Moms choice), would have been to grow up in San Francisco and not New Hampshire. I often wonder how different my life would have been if we had stayed there.
I could go on, so many wrong decisions. I do agree that each one must have contributed in some way to my being, and maybe even helped me be a better person in some way. But still, less broken hearts would be nice, less career screw ups would be good, living a life of security and peace instead of lonlness and poverty, there's another big one. Not getting married, EVER. Another big one.
OK, I'm stopping now.
Peace
Sandra

JOY 14
since 1999-09-22
Posts 1419
Wisconsin USA
12 posted 2000-11-04 11:02 PM

Thank you first of all for creating this topic. If I could change one thing in my life right now it would be that I would be out of high school.
It's really hard on me, and at times just breaks me down. Yes, I wish tomorow was graduation day. But I still have 3 years left.
I have confidence to make it through. I will get through. But if I had a choice, I would choose not to go through this period in my life.

Joy

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
13 posted 2000-11-05 07:58 AM

Work less - Play more
"Life is short - Have dessert first"

StarrGazer
since 2000-03-05
Posts 679
Texas
14 posted 2000-11-05 11:42 PM

The one thing I would change ... I wouldn't have quit school when I was 17 and had 2 months until graduation (because I was so smart and knew everything lol ...if only I knew half of what I thought I did)
Erin
Member Elite
since 2000-06-15
Posts 2527
~Chicago~
15 posted 2000-11-06 12:57 PM

I would go back to my sophmore year in high school a time where I really screwed up. So that I can go back and actually go to school. And make my way to graduation day without any hassels about graduating on time or not.

~*Love is sometimes like a rose. Beautiful in the beginning but dies in the end.*~

Skyfyre
since 1999-08-15
Posts 1906
Sitting in Michael's Lap
16 posted 2000-11-06 01:04 PM

I would like to go back to high school and do it right the first time.  I graduated with a 4.7 average as it is, but that was based on two years of catching up after two years of screwing around.  If I had worked to my full potential, who knows?  I could have been valedictorian (did better than he did on my SAT's anyway ... grumble grumble).

Assuming I could keep everything else in my life the same, I would have liked to have finished college on time ... I should have been done with my PhD for two years now ... sigh.  Life has a way of butting in, though ...  

--L
< !signature-->

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.

[This message has been edited by Skyfyre (edited 11-06-2000).]

Tammy16
since 2000-11-26
Posts 21

17 posted 2000-12-01 05:10 PM

If I could change one thing in my life it would be time itself.  I would like to go back and make things right with a former spouse which I lost and miss desperately....would do anything to get him back, but his feelings have now changed.  I only hope for the chance to make us right again.
SorrowsMystress
since 2000-04-01
Posts 178
I'm a wanderer, a nomad...I don't live in one particular area, Just wherever I end up.
18 posted 2000-12-02 01:47 AM

There's only one thing in my life that I regret, and that is meeting my ex husband. If I could change one thing, that one thing would be me ever meeting the guy.  Then, I wouldn't be on probation, I'd still be in good graces with my family, and I'd have a life without restraining orders and court systems, No fines to pay, no probation officers to visit, freedom to leave the state if I wished, not having to worry about every little small detail of anything I do (afraid it will send me straight to jail), etc.... it's not fun... And this situation wouldn't have happened if it weren't for him. GRRRRRRRRR.  I should have listened to my mother... Ladies and Gentlemen.. a piece of advice.... 9 times out of 10, your mothers are RIGHT! Listen to them!!! sheesh.

"It was my love that did us both to death. " -Sylvia Plath

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Feelings » What if?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary