navwin » Discussion » Feelings » More Than One?
Feelings
Post A Reply Post New Topic More Than One? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you

0 posted 2000-10-30 11:33 PM

My question is this: Is it possible to be in love with more than one person at a time? I'm just interested in your views......I have my own on this subject, and I 'll share them later. But I was just wondering what was thought of on this subject.......

© Copyright 2000 S.E. A - All Rights Reserved
warmhrt
since 1999-12-18
Posts 1563

1 posted 2000-10-30 11:52 PM

I think it is possible to love more than one, but you can only be in love with one.
mia

...got to be somewhere better than in the middle...~Wallflowers

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
2 posted 2000-10-31 01:25 AM

I think it's completely possible... the "heart" is a big organ [concept]. It will love as much as you allow it. You can be stingy and love only one, or less so and love many... "In" love... hmmm... possibly.. I don't see why not. Different people complement us in different ways. What we love in one person may not exist in another... but rather something else that we really love that doesn't in the former. Loving someone, I think, has much (if not all) to do with who they are and how they interact with you. So potentially, i think the answer is yes. However, this might fall along the lines of there being the possibility of writing many novels in one year. You can do it, but the quality suffers, because you aren't paying as much attention to it.

Just an op.

C

EagleOne
Member Elite
since 2000-03-07
Posts 2829
Between a laugh and a tear...
3 posted 2000-10-31 03:28 AM

An interesting question! I feel it depends on your point of view, for me the answer is NO. Yes, there are varying degrees of love, I think we would all agree to that point. But I see loving someone and being "in love" with someone as totally different things.

For me being in love is such an all consuming and intense feeling. Something that takes hold of you totally, to which you give totally. I am currently in love with someone and I know that I could not possibly have these feelings for two people at the same time. There is another that I care deeply for and have strong feelings for. I love her but am not "in love" with her.

Well for what they're worth they are my thoughts!

"The heart and soul have no illusion of boundries when friendship is the quest"
~ My Angel.

SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
4 posted 2000-10-31 09:17 AM

Thank you Miapoetess,Christopher, and Eagle One for replying.......ok, my take on this is pretty much in line with you all.....I love many in my life.........I love truly and I love deeply, however......I am only "in love" with my husband....I know of people who say they have been in love with more than one person and I don't see how they could call it true love if it is for two people. At different times, sure fine, but not at the same time......ok, that's my say on it......thanks again for the replies   -SEA
Mick Hawkes
since 2000-10-26
Posts 90
Tees-side , England
5 posted 2000-11-01 03:48 AM

i would say yes....
i love my wife ,my son , my twins , my dad , my brother and my sister... but do i love one "more" than the others?... each is a different love.. all to be held close inside...

A smile a day helps you work , rest & play.

Moon Dust
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 1999-06-11
Posts 2177
Skelmersdale, UK
6 posted 2000-11-01 07:49 PM

Yep definatly love  as many as you want, maybe be in love with more than one person (at different times of course). But Only one is true.

Sometimes you have to let go and move on,
But never let go of the memories.

Dopey Dope
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2000-08-30
Posts 11132
San Juan, Puerto Rico
7 posted 2000-11-03 02:23 PM

Strong opinions on this one.......LOVE.
I'm the kind of person that will fight for love till death. I'm one of those old fashioned people. I don't take things lightly when it comes to love. So i firmly believe that you can only be IN LOVE with ONE person at a time. Maybe several during a life time but i mean.....the previous ones would have ended due to some unfortunate happening......anyway....I just believe that you can only be in love with one person at a time because i find it completely illogical to say that you are madly in love with two people. I think monogamy is the key thing when it comes to love, but hey....that's just me.

"I was born myself, raised myself, and will continue to be myself. The world will just have to adjust."

I hate your socks. I'd like to burn them!

catalinamoon
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-03
Posts 9543
The Shores of Alone
8 posted 2000-11-04 09:09 PM

In my experience, yes you can. It did happen to me, and it was a very tough thing, hard decision to make, and in the end the whole thing was ruined with both of them. But I did truly love them both, and I still care for them both 9 years after the fact.
Sandra

Walking Contradiction
since 2000-11-15
Posts 4

9 posted 2000-11-16 12:53 PM

Love know's no boudaries
We've developed the limitations
To make sense of it-
Orderly and sensible.

Romy
since 2000-05-28
Posts 1170
Plantation, Florida
10 posted 2000-11-16 07:36 AM

I think you can, there are different kinds of love and maybe at a different level too.
Jamie
Member Elite
since 2000-06-26
Posts 3168
Blue Heaven
11 posted 2000-11-16 08:57 PM

A supreme love that satisfies the souls highest needs shares it rhythm with but one other soul.

Jamie

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito. - Virgil.
"Yield thou not to adversity, but press on the more bravely".

Jannel
since 2000-01-18
Posts 492
Muncie, IN, USA
12 posted 2000-11-17 03:26 PM

i agree that you may only be in love with one, but you may love many. i also think that you may be able to love someone, and then come to find that what you felt was true love then, but not true love in what you now know.
the greeks had an interesting notion of love. they had three seperate words- maybe they are familiar to some of you from church things. they are philos (brotherly love), eros (passionate love), and agape (unselfish, self-sacrificing love) my personal belief is that they form a sort of triangle, with each type as a point. the point in the very center is true love, a perfect balance of friendship, passion, and self-sacrifice. there are however, other points in the triangle that are also ways of loving, only less perfect.

-end of jann's philosophical rant-

JoshG
since 2004-11-16
Posts 127
TX, USA
13 posted 2005-04-20 04:28 PM

"they are philos (brotherly love), eros (passionate love), and agape (unselfish, self-sacrificing love) my personal belief is that they form a sort of triangle, with each type as a point. the point in the very center is true love, a perfect balance of friendship, passion, and self-sacrifice"

To continue Jannel's point!  mmm 4 years later.

I think the assumption is that "in love" is an intimate love saved for someone you are interested in having a dating or marriage relationship with.  With this assumption you have the lessons taught of monogamy as we grow up.  We grow up thinking cheating is a bad thing, which I feel is the case.  It feels wrong to be "in love" with more than one person.  To talk specifically about capability, I definitely think its possible.  Yet, like Christopher noted, not without a cost in quality.  I know I am selfish with my "in love" needs and wouldn't want to have to share it with another person.

Love is not a single plain emotion, but three dimensional and full of robust capabilities.  I think true love falls best in this defintion. "Love is patient, love is kind. It is not jealous, (love) is not pompous, it is not inflated, it is not rude, it does not seek its own interests, it is not quick-tempered, it does not brood over injury, it does not rejoice over wrongdoing but rejoices with the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things." 1 Corinthians 13.

Sorry for the tardiness in posting, but I wasn't even a PIP member until recently.  Great question SEA!

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Feelings » More Than One?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary