navwin » Discussion » Feelings » brainiac quandry questions
Feelings
Post A Reply Post New Topic brainiac quandry questions Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
X Angel
since 1999-11-07
Posts 1521
Oregon

0 posted 2000-06-06 03:59 PM

My youngest son is a math genius, and is in third grade at a wonderful private school....he is taking 4th and 3rd grade math concurantly and getting straight A's in both (incl. their stint in Pre-Algebra) and also tutoring 2nd graders...well our quandry is that the school is far away, and we struggle to get carpools going for both my sons....what with my new business...I have to close up shop to run in and get the boys if I need to....which usually takes about an hour....we have agonized over putting them in our local public schools...which aren't too bad I suppose, but still, not as great as private school...my bro and I went to our local public school and we can read and write, but neither of us are math geniuses....and yet with my youngest son being a math whiz....I hate to put him where his potential won't be used to it's fullest...one train of thought is public school and a private math tutor...anybody ever had a really smart kid? Any suggestions?
Thanks..I needed to vent bout this!
LOL
Heather

[This message has been edited by X Angel (edited 06-06-2000).]

© Copyright 2000 Heather Walters - All Rights Reserved
childomine
since 2000-01-25
Posts 818
st. petersburg, FL
1 posted 2000-06-06 04:56 PM

Neither of my children were genius' (lol) however my eldest was always much further ahead than her age group.  I didn't have the choice of private schools so we had to make due with public.  It turned out very well actually.  Public schools do offer accelerated classes for children who are beyond the norm in intelligence.  My daughter was so bored in school until they did realize her potential.  It was a relief when she finally had to study (although not too much - lol) because she finally became interested in school.  You may want to check with the public schools in your area to make sure they offer advanced classes.  You sound as though you're in a bit of a bind and I wish you luck with your choice.
~ViXeN~
since 2000-01-09
Posts 93
Guelph, Ont. Canada
2 posted 2000-06-06 07:04 PM

I found myself browsing the site when i read your story.  I can relate.  When I was in second grade, I was also doing math ahead of my grade level, (4th grade), for a while, I was being placed in one on one classes with teachers where my potential would not be put to waste, but I disliked it because of the fact I was all by myself.  I was then placed in regular classes for math later on in seventh grade, and now I can basically only do regular math for my age.  When I look back on what could have been, I get upset, because I know I could have been so much more, and I guess It's kind of depressing.  So my advice to you, is that if you know that your son has extra potential, please don't let it go to waste.  I know I wish that it didn't happen to me
=(

WhtDove
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-22
Posts 9245
Illinois
3 posted 2000-06-07 10:56 AM

First ask the school what they do to help those that exceed the grade level. What can they do to help him advance or be recognized as a gifted student. Do they support any programs that would help gifted students?

My son was also the same. He was always complaining he was bored. We moved a lot, so in the south, I brought this to his teachers attention, and they just looked at it, as he wasn't turning in his work any faster than anyone else. hmmmn...
Then we moved to Colorado, my son was learning algebra at the age of like 6. I taught it to him. He can pull numbers up, very quickly all in his head. I loved Math, but was no genius at it. He excells in Math, and writing (Language Arts). In Colorado, I had 2 teachers who finally recognized this, and went to great lengths to get him recognized as a gifted student, before of course, we moved again. At least now, it's in his records and follows him all through school.

Honestly, if you can find some way to keep him in private school I would do it. They had programs in Colorado where a teacher would come in and work with all the children, but challenge the gifted ones. I liked it much. Tho' I can't say I find that here. He is very good, very smart, the only thing is he's going into 6th grade now, and just won't work up to his potential. He can pull straight A's, but he don't. He gets very good grades, but he's disorganized, and that's what hurts him.

So if you can keep your son in a place where he's encouraged to be him, I would do it. Unless you ask a lot of questions of the Public school and see what they have to offer him.

What a dilemma...I hope you find some middle ground! What about trading car pooling days, and just opening a couple of days a bit later?

PhaerieChild
since 1999-08-30
Posts 1787
Aloha, Oregon
4 posted 2000-06-07 12:48 PM

Check with your public schools to see if they have a GATE (gifted and talented enrollees) courses. This is a wonderful program. A friend had 2 beautiful but bored kids and she had them enrolled in GATE and the difference even in attitude was tremendous. They are now mentors for regular classroom students and it's amazing how well they work with other children. It is very worthwhile if you can get into it. I hope I have been helpful.

Poetry~ Words falling on paper, painting a dream.

Shawna R. Holder
Boise, Idaho

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
5 posted 2000-06-09 06:26 AM

Hey }X{ - Have you talked to your local public schools to see what programs they have in place?? It's been a lloooooooooong time since you were there, ya know...     
Colin
since 1999-06-05
Posts 596
Callington, Cornwall, England
6 posted 2000-06-09 10:22 AM

You better watch it Nan.... don't go calling her old or you might get her new kitty sicked on ya!
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Feelings » brainiac quandry questions

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary