navwin » Discussion » Feelings » What was high school like for you?
Feelings
Post A Reply Post New Topic What was high school like for you? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
JOY 14
since 1999-09-22
Posts 1419
Wisconsin USA

0 posted 2000-03-29 09:45 PM

I would like to know if anyone would be willing to share what they thought of high school and their high school experience.  I know that most of you have been through it, so give me your thoughts on what it was like for you.  And if you are like me and still going through it, I'd like to hear from you too.  

My personal oppionion on high school is that so far...it has had its ups and downs.  The home work isn't horrible, but...my classmates aren't the nicest or the kindest or very mature.  I'm not "Miss Popularity" and some days just drag on and on.

Well, I guess that's it in a nut shell.  Looking forward to what you have to say, hopefuly I'm not alone.  
Thanks

Joy

© Copyright 2000 Kristen Joy Jacobus - All Rights Reserved
WhtDove
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-22
Posts 9245
Illinois
1 posted 2000-03-29 11:06 PM

Well, I can't say I was popular either. A few good teachers that I'll always remember!
But I didn't like high school and I couldn't wait to get out.  It's been a very long time since then, and I feel for one who's going through it. It can be a rough time, especially when people aren't so friendly!
Hang in there  

PhaerieChild
since 1999-08-30
Posts 1787
Aloha, Oregon
2 posted 2000-03-29 11:10 PM

I went to high school in the late 60's early 70's and I thought it meant "high" school. Just kidding... high school was a drag. I was not very popular either and coming from an abusive background as well, I tended to keep to myself. Grades were easy for me as I spent my school hours in texts to avoid the conflicts I was sure were going to occur should I try to interact with anyone but the stoners (they were off on their own planet, so didn't bother me). I occasionally indulged in like pasttimes as well but my thing was reading. Reading for knowledge, for pleasure, because I was bored, whatever. My thoughts on those around me at the time were mostly contemptuous. I would have liked to be popular, but didn't want to be crowded. Would have liked to be homecoming queen but didn't want to be viewed as vacuuous. Would have liked to have been a cheerleader but didn't want to seen as sluttish (most at the time were viewed as such). I hid a lot. After I left high school I tried to fit in and didn't. Still don't for that matter though I prefer to think of myself as eccentric instead of weird, eclectic instead of standoffish. Now that I am in my 40's I have forged some really wonderful friendships that occurred after school and they have lasted some 20 plus years and thinking back to high school makes me think I didn't miss out on much after all. I hope that you have a friend or two that you can lean on. Those are the special ones.

Poetry~ Words falling on paper, painting a dream.

Shawna R. Holder
Boise, Idaho

danni
since 1999-11-20
Posts 688
wisconsin
3 posted 2000-03-30 01:21 AM

hmmmmmm......i think i had a blast in high school. i did alot of things i won't talk about here. but don't get me wrong, i wasn't a bad child. just really liked to have fun. and i'm paying for it now. if i could change one thing, it would i only be that i would have put in more of an effort towards my grades. i skipped classes a WHOLE lot. so while my grades lacked in daily homework, i always got a's and b's on my finals. that's the only thing that got me through besides being good with my teachers. i wasn't extremely popular. i'm pretty sure people knew of me as well as i knew of them. i can't say i ever got picked on. and i never picked on anyone. i was the type of person who was friends with a few people from just about every clique. i've only had two real run-ins with people throughout my entire school career.
i guess in highschool, i was just me, and i let other people just be them. and i had a good time.

JOY 14
since 1999-09-22
Posts 1419
Wisconsin USA
4 posted 2000-03-30 05:30 PM

Hey, thanks for replying.  

WhtDove,
That's the way I'm feeling now. I'll try to hang in because it isn't all bad!

WildChild,
Reading keeps me occupied too, especialy at school, when I just don't want to be noticed.  (Not like I have to try to get people to not notice me. lol)It's true though.  I'm very quiet and reserved by nature.  And I do have one friend, my best friend who doesn't go to my school, but she's a friend I don't want to let go of.  

Danni,
I'm glad that someone had fun in high school!  But you sure are lucky you were able to get those good grades on your finals.  I however, could never get away with skipping classes because I am a horrible test taker!  

Thanks again.  I look forward to reading more people's replies.

Joy

Isis
Member Ascendant
since 1999-09-06
Posts 6296
Sunny Queensland
5 posted 2000-04-03 09:39 PM

Well Joy I loved high school.  I went there in the early 80's.
Peer pressure was a bit tiresome though.
Most of the teachers were pretty cool.
I loved the social aspect of it all, making friends, boyfriends, dating, school dances etc.
I was also into music, like the school musicals, music classes, the orchestra for a while.
Loved basketball too, represented Brisbane our state's capital in Basketball.
I enjoyed mainly English and Music classes.
The rest were just part of the deal.
I did wag school a bit, and smoked behind the demountables etc! LOL  My grades were average except for Music and English.  So I'd study more if I had to do it again.
Mind you, if I were to go back, I'd do a few things differently.
So what do you think?  < !signature-->

There is only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving, and that's your own self...
~Isis~
(Goddess - Sovereign of the Spirit)

[This message has been edited by Isis (edited 04-03-2000).]

ESP
Member Elite
since 2000-01-25
Posts 2556
Floating gently on a cloud....
6 posted 2000-04-10 02:24 PM

Well, I am still at high school....5 years down and 2 to go! Looking back on it so far, I can say this:

Ok, I was at a boarding school and I was very homesick for the first 2 years. I was bullied by the guys in my class in my first year and for the the first three years the guys treated me like a disease!!

The 4th and 5th years were when things got better. I found some real friends...not the phony friends for homework type...some really nice poeple who really cared about me. Thats when I started to enjoy life a little more.

All in all, it just gets betterer and betterer in my opinion. The betterer parts make up for the worserer parts!

Ok, I will stop putting you to sleep!!

Love and hugs,
Lizzie

"Poetry is the true expression of my soul, it is my ultimate means of communication. It is a rainbow of delight."

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Feelings » What was high school like for you?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary