navwin » Discussion » Feelings » Would you throw the magic switch?
Feelings
Post A Reply Post New Topic Would you throw the magic switch? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
A very silly boy
since 2000-02-23
Posts 16

0 posted 2000-02-25 01:33 AM

Here's a question for you all  

If someone invented a magical switch that allowed you to turn off love ("CLICK!" just like that) when you weren't allowed to give that love to the person you wanted to, would you throw that switch? Of course, throwing the switch would remove all the pain, but it would also remove all the happy memories of a love shared. Would you do it?

My answer to follow shortly  

© Copyright 2000 A very silly boy - All Rights Reserved
Astraea
since 1999-11-09
Posts 378
California! Yeah! Okay, I'm done now
1 posted 2000-02-25 01:41 AM

I wouldn't do it, though I've thought long and hard about this many a time; just isn't worth it.  Though I've been through some horrors my friends still have yet to believe, and experienced things that have undoubtedly soured me on love in general, it's brought me to people I never knew about and that I love so much, I know I never would have met any of them if I hadn't been through the pain before, which had been caused by love in the first place.  It's happy, it's sad, I love the three new friends and I've been through Hades and back again by them because of that love.  But the forgiveness is sweet, it's nice to know that you can love someone, despite the pain.  You'd never appreciate the joy, then.

No, I'd rip all the wires out of that silly switch, lock the remains up, and throw away the key.  

~Astraea

"Sometimes stars can only be seen in darkness."

"Sorrow's crown of sorrow is remembering happier things."

PhaerieChild
since 1999-08-30
Posts 1787
Aloha, Oregon
2 posted 2000-02-25 01:38 PM

They say (whoever "they are) that you can't truly love someone till your heart's been scarred. If that's true I wouldn't throw the switch. I'd endure all the heartache and heartbreak to experience something as awesome as love.

Poetry~ Words falling on paper, painting a dream.

Shawna R. Holder
Boise, Idaho

A very silly boy
since 2000-02-23
Posts 16

3 posted 2000-02-26 12:36 PM

Thanks, Astraea and WildChild for your answers   And they were very good answers too! In fact, I think you've said just about what I was gonna say.

I too would choose not to flick the switch. In my opinion, the joy of knowing true love in your life and the happy memories that love brings, FAR outweigh the pain of splitting up, etc.

Anyone else got anything to say?

S.B.

[This message has been edited by A very silly boy (edited 02-26-2000).]

X Angel
since 1999-11-07
Posts 1521
Oregon
4 posted 2000-02-26 07:09 PM

I once wrote a poem about that very thing, I then said I wouldn't want to turn back the hands of time, or forget...but now I think I would. *shrug* I dunno, but somehow it seems like a less painful way.
~X~

Vivian Greene

~It is not our circumstances that create our discontent or contentment. It is us.~

White Wolf
since 1999-09-18
Posts 371
Somewhere in the vast wasteland
5 posted 2000-02-26 07:26 PM

If I had a switch, mine wouldn't work.  Me and electrons just don't go together.     But seriously, even if the switch worked, I have too much love to give.  But for me, I would endure all the pain in this world for the short joy of the chance of being loved for even the shortest time.  The joy far outwieghs the pains.  Plus what comes around goes around.  If you give love it will come back ten fold to you, someday and in someway.  Atleast this has been my experience.  Any I think I spent my two cents here and then some.  

SD

Jannel
since 2000-01-18
Posts 492
Muncie, IN, USA
6 posted 2000-02-27 07:49 PM

If we didn't know how painful love could be, how would we realize how wonderful it is when we found it? I wouldn't give that up. Love is too special.You have to experience it all.
jannel

"I'm just saying
that we've mistaken one
for thousands of words,
and for that mistake
I've caused you such pain
that I damn that word."
-10000 Maniacs "Jezebel"

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Feelings » Would you throw the magic switch?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary