navwin » Discussion » Feelings » Favorite Famous Poet??
Feelings
Post A Reply Post New Topic Favorite Famous Poet?? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Songbird
Member Elite
since 1999-12-15
Posts 2184
Missouri

0 posted 2000-02-05 01:28 AM

I was thinking that it would be interesting to see all the different famous poet that were the favorites of the people who post their poems here. If you are reading this tell us who your favorite famous poet is and a brief description why, maybe any include a favorite title of the one you like the most.   So beings I asked this question, I will go first and tell you, my favorite one is Emily Dickinson, she was never famous until after her death when her sister discovered her work and the first volume was published four years after her death. Her poems are usually of short length and very simply say alot.   Now it's your turn.
© Copyright 2000 Marcia Estep - All Rights Reserved
poetry_kills
since 1999-12-04
Posts 549
new orleans
1 posted 2000-02-05 02:24 AM

picking a favorite poet would be like picking a favorite cuisine... there are so many different spices and flavors from which to choose... if i was forced though, i'd probably say Samuel Taylor Coleridge... ever since i first read Kubla Khan i've been enchanted by it... i know that i could never in my lifetime produce something as visually, rhythmically, and poetically pleasing as he did in those few dream-like stanzas...

sincerely,
jerome the boy with no brain

A savage place! as holy and enchanted
As e'er beneath a waning moon was haunted
By woman wailing for her demon-lover!
~Coleridge

jascanvey
since 1999-12-26
Posts 130
England
2 posted 2000-02-05 05:38 PM

My favourite is Byron's When We Two Parted. It summed up my life then as it does now. I copied it from a friends book about 10 years ago and I still keep it to hand and read it frequently, it's a masterpiece to me!!

Julie.

LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

3 posted 2000-02-06 04:51 PM

Well, I have two favorites. The first is Edgar Allen Poe's "Annebel Lee", basiclly because I can relate to loving someone that much. The second is Robert Frost. I like "Two roads diverged" (I think that's the title), because I try to take "the road less traveled by".

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world"

Sven
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 1999-11-23
Posts 14937
East Lansing, MI USA
4 posted 2000-02-07 01:23 PM

I have about 10 or so!  LOL. . .but I will give you my top 5. . .how about that?

In no particular order. . .

1. e e cummings--the master himself. . .took poetry to its limits and back. . . I can think of no greater love poem than "somewhere i have never travelled. . ."

2. Emily Dickinson--sometimes I think that if she were alive today, she and I would be friends. . . with our skewed views of the world and hopeless romanticism. . .

3. Rumi--if you've never read the great Sufi poet. . . you're missing out.  There's a new interest in his poetry, take a look!

4. Pablo Neruda--if there's an ispiration for most of my love poems, it's from him. . .I remember first reading 100 Love Poems. . . I hope to love like that someday

5. Ogden Nash--who could turn the English language into his own pesonal pallate?  Nash could of course!!

So, there you go. . . now I bet you're wondering. . . how does he combine all of those?  Well, you'd have to meet me to know!

---------------------------------------------

That which gives light must endure burning
--Victor Frankl

X Angel
since 1999-11-07
Posts 1521
Oregon
5 posted 2000-02-07 10:23 PM

Hi all   Tho't I'd pop in here and throw in a name not many of you might recognize... Sara Teasdale, I like her imagery and the romantic feel her poetry has. I also like Walt Whitman, Henry David Thoreau, alot of old time poets, not many new ones really make me "feel" much. I mean new as in "paid" poets, the people on Passions, the ones who write for the love of writing usually are more likely to make my heart bleed than a book of poetry that I have bought at the local bookshop!
Happy Writing
~X~

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."
~Eleanor Roosevelt~

Justbleu
Member Elite
since 1999-08-31
Posts 3329
Oregon, Originally From Alaska :)
6 posted 2000-02-08 10:55 AM

My favorite poem of all time is titled "Witch" but I do not remember who wrote it, my memory wants to say G.A. Burger but I do not know for sure!!  Unfortunately I no longer even have a copy of it!!  

I love Robert Frost's poetry.... Shakespeare's play "As You Like It"!!  I adore love poetry!!  On a darker note... I like Sylvia Plath's writing too!!  But, some of my favorite poems I have found right here at Passions!!  

Anywayz, that is all I can think of at this moment!!  

Bridgette  

Creation of woman from the rib of Man: She was not made from his head to top him; nor out of his feet to be trampled upon by him; but out of his side to be equal with him, under his arm to be protected, and near his heart to be loved."

Sven
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 1999-11-23
Posts 14937
East Lansing, MI USA
7 posted 2000-02-08 01:12 PM

Yes!!  I too like Sara Teasdale. . .

My favorite of hers is "When I Am Not With You. . . "

Makes me cry everytime I read it. . .

---------------------------------------------

That which gives light must endure burning
--Victor Frankl

JOY 14
since 1999-09-22
Posts 1419
Wisconsin USA
8 posted 2000-02-08 02:07 PM

My favorites have to be Emily Dickenson and Robert Frost.  Their poetry is so moving and written in the old English.  I love it.  I also like Walt Whitman, especialy his "Oh, Captain, My Captain"
There are so many others too!  I can't name them all.  This is such a good topic, Septsong, btw.  

Joy

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

9 posted 2000-02-09 10:10 PM

How odd that my favorite poem is not written by my favorite poet.  The poem is "The Lesson of The Moth," by Don Marquis.  My favorite poet tends to be whomever captures my heart in words at the moment.  Quite often right here at Passions.
White Wolf
since 1999-09-18
Posts 371
Somewhere in the vast wasteland
10 posted 2000-02-11 05:00 AM

Favorite poetry....hmmm....Well that would have to be John Milton.  I have been surprised to see that whenever I mention his name nobody knows who he is.  Well he wrote "Paradise Lost" and Paradise Regained".  I really need to read them again, it has been awhile.

If dying is the process of living life to its end.
Then what is living?

X Angel
since 1999-11-07
Posts 1521
Oregon
11 posted 2000-02-11 08:50 AM

Just A FYI note, I have a book by Milton from the early 1800's, it's leatherbound and so so so old! It was handed down to me nby my Grandmother. So I "KNOW" who Milton is  
and I do like his poetry too.
~X~

"Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes?!" ~Groucho Marx

Songbird
Member Elite
since 1999-12-15
Posts 2184
Missouri
12 posted 2000-02-14 12:53 PM

This is really good, I am really glad to see everyone responding to the question. Your answers are all so interesting. Joy we must be alot alike as you named my two favorite also, Dickenson, and Frost. I do like Edgar Poe also, especially the Raven, met a girl once when I was young that could quote the whole thing. Keep your answers coming!
White Wolf
since 1999-09-18
Posts 371
Somewhere in the vast wasteland
13 posted 2000-02-14 02:14 AM

X Angel-  I have a book too.  It was my grandfather's before he died.  I got to look through his books and that was one of the one's I choose.  I just recently found a general copyright date for the book on the internet that dates in the 1850's.  Glad to here that someone else knows of him.  

SD

If dying is the process of living life to its end.
Then what is living?

SorrowsMystress
since 2000-04-01
Posts 178
I'm a wanderer, a nomad...I don't live in one particular area, Just wherever I end up.
14 posted 2000-04-03 11:05 AM

My favorite poet of all time has got to be Sylvia Plath. I have read all of her works and (somewhat unfortunately) relate to it all. My favorite poem by her is a toss up between Lady Lazarus and Mad Girls Love Song. She displays such raw, on the edge emotion, and it's a shame she was taken so abruptly. May she rest in peace and I hope she's found happieness somehow! If you haven't read any of her work, I highly suggest you read it as soon as possible
StarrGazer
since 2000-03-05
Posts 679
Texas
15 posted 2000-04-03 03:01 PM

Ok my favorite poets would be ... to many to name ... so I'll go with my favorites *Edgar Allen Poe- The Raven, Dream within a Dream, and Alone are my favorites of his works
*Emily Dickenson- I'm Nobody, I Could Not Stop For Death
*Maya Angelou- I don't think I could name just one her imagery is fantastic!
*Hilda Doolittle- Sea Rose, Sheltered Garden
Many other favorites, but would take me forever to list them all  

Mystical being
which makes ink flow
Surround me in
your incandescent glow
Fill my brain with
thoughts and rhyme
As I try to capture
but a moment in time
~Shan~

Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
16 posted 2000-04-05 07:36 AM

Poe and Lord Byron.

Michael

Marina
Member Elite
since 2000-02-10
Posts 2245
Pickering, Ontario
17 posted 2000-04-05 12:58 PM

William Butler Yeats and the Bronte sisters.  I am a huge fan of Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights.  My favorite book.

Marina

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
18 posted 2000-04-05 04:11 PM

Although I have many, many favorites - Frost, Byron, Coleridge, Keats.... I could go on and on and on....

There is no greater than the "Maestro" - William Shakespeare's work has survived for several hundred years for good reason.  He was the absolute master of form.  He must have "dreamed" in iambic pentameter.... His work is astounding...  

[This message has been edited by Nan (edited 04-05-2000).]

SweetAznAngel
since 2000-04-04
Posts 13
Boston, Mass. USA
19 posted 2000-04-05 05:19 PM

My favorite poet? I don't have one, but i'd rather think of it as.. my favorite poetS. Which of whom, are my friends. There are many poets among us. Each day we live our lives improvising and we're just like actors, poets, and writers who imiprovise on life itself. We're all imaginative and that's what I see in everyone. Well, here's a good poem by my good friend Leo.

To an Angel~

You and I
Have always shared company with each other
But it was forever to be among a multitude of friends
There was a mystery in your eyes, I so desired to comprehend...
Your eyes smile
Your lips beckon me
Closer

But
I dare not stare too long into your angelic eyes
I am afraid to listen to your sweet voice, or otherwise
I fear...
I won't be able to look the other way
To stand up
And to tear myself away
From you.

*The best kind of friend is the kind you can sit on a porch, swing with, never say a word, and then walk away feeling like it was the best conversation you've ever had.*
[The essence of romanticism is the ability to wonder and to reflect. In searching the meaning of the known, the human spirit reaches for the unknown, in trying to understand the present it looks to the past and to the future.]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Feelings » Favorite Famous Poet??

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary