navwin » Discussion » Feelings » Hard Times, And No Help
Feelings
Post A Reply Post New Topic Hard Times, And No Help Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
rachaelfuchsberger
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2007-02-21
Posts 609
Las Vegas, NV

0 posted 2009-10-28 02:17 PM

With all the medical bills piling up before we can even pay our co-pays for my girlfriend's visits to the oncologist, and the penalty fees because the public transit out here in Vegas is unreliable and she's missed her consultation appointment with her surgeon twice this week because of it, so now we're being penalised $25 per appointment missed. I'm finding it disheartening and frustrating that it is so difficult to find any financial aid for cancer patients. It seems our only options are Medicaid, or calling the Susan G Komen Organization. I didn't see, however, any financial aid information on the website for the Susan G Komen Organization. What we really need now is help. And we just can't seem to find it. All we have to hold on to is hope, and sometimes it feels like that's simply not enough.

Goddess grant me the serenity to accept the things that I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference.

© Copyright 2009 Rachael Fuchsberger - All Rights Reserved
Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

1 posted 2009-10-28 05:35 PM

Dear Rachael,

It sounds like what you need is a good social work consultation.  Why no go to the web and check under the National Association of Social Workers, The NASW.  Check out what pro-bono resources they have available in the Las Vegas area.  Tell them or whoever that you find yourself hooked up with that you need some help in finding out what resources are available for you in the area and how you might get connected up to them.  Many hospitals will have social workers on staff, but they're frequently there to work specifically to work with patients just in that hospital.  Frequently, however, public agencies will have social workers on staff.  If you were to go to NASW, they might be able to help guide you through the local possibilities.  I don't know if the Susan G Komen folks have social workers on staff or not.

Sincerely, Bob Kaven  

rachaelfuchsberger
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2007-02-21
Posts 609
Las Vegas, NV
2 posted 2009-10-28 08:14 PM

Thank you, Bob. I will look into that.

Goddess grant me the serenity to accept the things that I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Feelings » Hard Times, And No Help

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary