navwin » Discussion » Feelings » The Lantern Bearers--The Story
Feelings
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Lantern Bearers--The Story Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Sven
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 1999-11-23
Posts 14937
East Lansing, MI USA

0 posted 1999-12-29 11:27 AM

Hello everyone. . .

There have been many who have asked about the title of the Collection of poetry that I have written called "The Lantern Bearers".  This is the story.

13 years ago, I was a Counselor-in-Training at the National Music Camp here in Interlochen, Michigan.  (Side note, if you've never been to Interlochen, or have heard of it, send me a message and I'll be happy to tell you about it!!)  The woman that I talk about in the poems was also in the same class as I.  I wasn't looking to fall in love with anyone, but she and I became close very quickly and fell in love.  It was the first time, for both of us, in every way. . .

It was definitely a long-distance relationship, with me living here in Michigan and she living in Ontario.  But not as long-distance as it could have been.  We talked on the phone a lot and wrote long letters, we even got to see each other a couple of times during that period.  It was then that I began the poems that would one day make up this collection. Some of the poems that I have posted in Open 4 and 5 and in Dark Passions are from that group.  The ones in Open 4 & 5 show the longing of seperation and the joy of new love.  The poems in Dark Passions show the aftermath. . . which was quite painful to me, she being my first true love.

Our relationship lasted one year to the day. . . when suddenly she broke it off with me.  I was so devestated that I didn't even bother to ask why she was leaving me. . . this was a painful time in my life. . .

"The Lantern Bearers" is in three parts. . . the first is called "The Flame Burns", the second, "The Flame Dies", and the third is called, "The Flame Flickers".  The third part is an Epilogue of sorts, because there were some feelings which I still had when I showed her this collection after I had completed it.

The name "The Lantern Bearers" comes from this poem, which was written by her. . . from it came the inspiration for the title. . . and my love. . .(and yes, I do have her permission to use it)

THE LIGHTING OF A LANTERN

Picture if you will, a darkened and lonely place,
full of confusing thoughts and endless fears
Picture a small, seculded child growing up--
Not knowing the touch of a lover's hand
Nor the caress of superior emotions

A dark and lonely world for a growing child

One day, in the mist of a summer field,
Golden sun, green grass, blue skies.
A relationship unfolded
--Like the bloom of a never-wilting rose.
Miracles became truth--as love was explored
     to its fullest dimensions.

Days that can't be forgotten.

Now I am back in my darkened and lonely place.
But there lies a light at the end of the
     darkness
You, my love are the bearer of this lantern
--only you can hold its warmth and carry its love

The dark seems not so dim and the place not
     so lonely
          --for now I have you

--memories are precious

You can see that she was indeed quite gifted for a woman of 19 (which was the same age that I was).  This collection was written over the next two years and finished when I was 21.

The idea that love was a "lantern" that we bear to the one that we love was very interesting to me. . . it's a theme that still shows in my work today. . . I have her to thank for that.

I still think about her from time to time. . . by the way, the poem, written in her hand, is the only thing that I have left of her.  I destroyed all the letters and the photos and everything else. . . in my anger and pain. . . I thought that I needed to do it. . .

I'll let you all know when a poem that I post is from this collection. . . the ones that are in now.  . . I think that you'll be able to find them. . .

Thank you my friends. . .

---------------------------------------------------

That which gives light must endure burning
--Victor Frankl

© Copyright 1999 John Garcia - All Rights Reserved
Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
1 posted 1999-12-29 01:16 PM

Sven...
It's always great to have some concept of the thoughts and feelings that inspire the works posted here at Passions.  If you happen to be wandering around the main site, you'll see that every poem posted there has an introduction for just this purpose.  Maybe you can put yours together there...

Thanks for the insight....

Isis
Member Ascendant
since 1999-09-06
Posts 6296
Sunny Queensland
2 posted 1999-12-29 08:18 PM

Wonderful Sven, and it helps us understand you a little better too..  

At the touch of love everyone becomes a poet. (Plato)
~Isis~
(Daughter of Mystery)

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
3 posted 1999-12-29 08:36 PM

Thanks for the story! I was one who asked about it and am glad I did. By the way, I'm a Michigander so I know the about the music camp. Have you ever thought of trying to contact her again?  

Sven
Member Laureate
since 1999-11-23
Posts 14937
East Lansing, MI USA
4 posted 1999-12-30 08:19 AM

Thank you. . . glad that I could share this with all of you.

deVine, I have tried to contact her again. . . I have her last address and have tried to search for an e-mail address. . . I guess I just haven't had the courage to actually write that letter and send it. . . who knows?  I may yet. . . life is a funny thing. . .

---------------------------------------------

--Victor Frankl

Windrider Silverbreeze
since 2000-03-21
Posts 33

5 posted 2000-03-25 07:56 PM

Going back and reading old posts gives me and interesting perspective into the person you are.  Very impressive.

Sven
Member Laureate
since 1999-11-23
Posts 14937
East Lansing, MI USA
6 posted 2000-03-26 12:25 PM

Thank you Windrider, I hope that you went back and found the poems that I talked about in this story. . . You will find out much more about me through them. . .

--------------------------------------------------------

--Victor Frankl

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
7 posted 2000-08-23 01:26 PM

Indeed, memories are precious...
Sudhir Iyer
Member Ascendant
since 2000-04-26
Posts 6943
Mumbai, India : now in Belgium
8 posted 2000-08-23 01:31 PM

yes they are of course....

regards sudhir

Marina
Member Elite
since 2000-02-10
Posts 2245
Pickering, Ontario
9 posted 2000-08-23 02:39 PM

K......I get it now!!   LOL

Marina

It is a blessing to have wings for words, and passion in pen
Marina Crossley

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Feelings » The Lantern Bearers--The Story

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary