navwin » Discussion » Feelings » Question
Feelings
Post A Reply Post New Topic Question Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan

0 posted 2006-02-25 09:25 AM

I have been summoned to jury duty.
They sent me a form.
On it in the blank line after the beginning of a sentence
basically: “ I should be disqualified from jury duty because”
I wrote: “ I lost someone”.
On it in the blank line after the beginning of a sentence
basically: “ I should be excused from jury duty because”
I wrote: “ I lost someone”.

There was a list of questions among which was basically:
“Have you, a family member , or close friend been a victim
of a crime”.  I marked the box “yes”.

My implied request for exclusion was denied for basically: “lack of sufficient
reason and/or documentation.”.

So I will have to appear before an open forum
and talk about it.

Any recommendations?

© Copyright 2006 John Pawlik - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2006-02-25 09:38 AM

Go, do your civic duty.  Chances are, during voir dire, you'll get excused anyway.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

2 posted 2006-02-25 09:58 AM

Simply tell them that because of your lingering pain, you don't feel that you can be objective. That's honest enough.

If they tend to pry further, tell them you aren't comfortable talking about this personal matter, which should underscore your first reasoning. If that's not enough, see a doctor, and have your physician state that depression can alter decision in such a state. I, myself, would not feel comfortable passing a life altering judgement on anyone when I felt I was not at my best intellectually.

Just be honest. Tell them how you feel.

They will more than likely ask you what emotional turmoil you have been through, and that is when you say you consider it a private matter, (that's also when the doctor note comes in handy as there are doctor/patient confidentiality laws) and that the cirumstances have left you questioning your capability to be logical - and perhaps even cause a lack of the incliniation to care - or the opposite, depending on the trial - which, in your opinion (and mine) would prove to be unfair to the person on trial, as it could possibly lend to prejudice regarding your ultimate judgement.

Good luck with the legalese, John. And my sympathy goes with you regarding your emotional pain.

I understand - and I too believe that the accused should have the right of objectivity.

and hugs, too, btw.

May you heal quickly.

desert-spike
since 2006-02-01
Posts 194
TX/USA
3 posted 2006-02-25 03:33 PM

Best way to get out of jury duty, is when they ask you how you feel about the person going to trial, regardless of what the crime is you say something to the effect of: "I think they oughtta skip the trial and hang the S.O.B.

They don't want you if you're already pre biased against.

sandgrain
Member Elite
since 1999-09-21
Posts 3662
Sycamore, IL, USA
4 posted 2006-02-25 09:48 PM

So many times I've been called for jury duty! In 1996, I was in excruciating pain, suffering with rheumatoid arthritis.  I could barely walk and they insisted I come, sign in and state my reason for wanting to be excused.  I hobbled in and the clerk said, "Oh, you needn't have come in if you're in this much pain," and they excused me.  I was pretty put out because just to get in there was sooooo painful and difficult, then had to manage my way out, and drive home.  Grrrrr!  I don't mind serving and have many times, but having to show up there (as proof?) after I'd served other times, was hard to swallow.  

I'm quite sure you'll be excused if you show up.  They probably get people who don't want to be bothered, so make us show up to make sure that's not what's behind it.

Rae

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Feelings » Question

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary