navwin » Discussion » Feelings » Is there a time when family isn't that anymore?
Feelings
Post A Reply Post New Topic Is there a time when family isn't that anymore? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Silent Prisoner
since 2006-02-15
Posts 39
Around Somewhere

0 posted 2006-02-19 12:31 PM

So last week I found out that my family has been lying to me for ten years about something pretty major. I really don't know what to do about it. I confronted my mother about it who then proceeded to still continue to lie to my face. The only one in my family who has even begun to be truthful whith me about the inncendent I didn't believe until I saw it for myself. So now they will not speak to me. Why do families lie and try to hide the really big things from others?

"It's not the letting go that hurts, it's the holding on."

© Copyright 2006 Silent Prisoner - All Rights Reserved
nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
1 posted 2006-02-19 01:29 PM

no one can understand if you aren't a bit more specific...

families lie for many reasons...some to protect their children or themselves...maybe they felt you would want to know more than is your right to know...but without a bit more information people can't give you the support you may be seeking.

Example...my parents  never once told me or my two brothers that our older brother and sister were adopted by my father and that my mother was married once before. (Divorce was not common back then and to marry a divorced woman and to adopt her children was not always acceptable)

I found out by accident but I don't know if my two brothers were ever told. It  really didn't concern us since we had both our biological parents with us.  And the only reason it was explained to me was because I ran across the adoption papers while looking in a drawer for something.

My  older brother and sister were never treated differently although they did hold a slight grudge against my father and would run away to Grandmother whenever they  were  punished. And sometimes my sister would tell others I was her  half sister  to spite me when they would say we looked alike.

Their father was a womanizer (and while stationed in the army had other wives all over the country) Anyway that isn't probably what you had in mind, but as children we sometimes will use the information against the parents or others when being told we can't do something or when compared to another sibling.
I am sorry you aren't speaking to one another, but maybe with time you will all come to understand each other.

M

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
2 posted 2006-02-19 03:54 PM

I agree with Maureen.  Specifics help to form an opinion, to give some possible reason as to why they didn't come to you with the truth.  Of course, it is very likely that the fact of it is painful to you, and in that respect, and to respond to your titled question, "is there a time when family isn't that anymore?" I would say,

Yes.

sandgrain
Member Elite
since 1999-09-21
Posts 3662
Sycamore, IL, USA
3 posted 2006-02-20 05:09 PM

A gal I know, is now going through a terrible time with her elderly mother, who has diabeties and a lung disease.  This gal drives for hours in inclement weather to clean her mom's apartment, bring her new clothes,and look out for her welfare. The mom accuses her of stealing from her, keeping her imprisioned in the nursing home where she presently is, etc.  The daughter says,  I feel someone has to care for nasty people, even though she's still as mean as she was when we were kids. Now that's family!

I'm sorry you've been hurt, but maybe you need to ask WHY this incident was withheld from you.  There may be reasons you're not aware of that are understandable.

Sometimes I wish I'd withheld some things from my children.  I had a neglectful anesthesiologist when one was born (c-section)and almost died.  I talked about this with someone (10 years later?), thinking
that child was outside playing.  One day saying he'd overheard me, he asked why I'd never told him.  He was very hurt that I hadn't, yet hurt even more, I think, because he felt guilt being it was his birth. That's the very reason I would never have told him.

Hope this helps.

Rae

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
4 posted 2006-02-20 05:51 PM

I won't go into my story, but genetically, they are always going to be family to you by birth, but how you react to them is entirely your choice.  I chose to eliminate some branches of my family tree, and never have regretted it to this day, and I am old even!   I might suggest you get the truth before making any decision at all, and base your reaction on that. Good luck.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Feelings » Is there a time when family isn't that anymore?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary