navwin » Discussion » Feelings » Diamonds are a girl's best friend
Feelings
Post A Reply Post New Topic Diamonds are a girl's best friend Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Skyfyre
since 1999-08-15
Posts 1906
Sitting in Michael's Lap

0 posted 1999-12-21 12:39 PM

We've seen it written, heard it spoken by family and friends, seen it touted on television jeweler's ads, and even (some of us, I'm afraid I'm dating myself here) heard a song by that very name.  But having been a girl for quite some time, I have yet to find a modicum of truth in this statement.

What in the bloody hell is so special about diamonds?  OK -- so they're rare.  Not nearly as rare as true, natural white-star sapphires, or even natural emeralds.  They're pretty -- well so is austrian crystal, and I daresay it sparkles just as much.  OK -- so it's the hardest mineral on earth.  Well, you've got me there, but to my knowledge no woman has ever said "OH (insert boyfriend's name here), this diamond is just so HARD!"  Perhaps, if you were planning to coat a set of cookware with it or edge a knife with it, I'd understand.

So what is so alluring about these little chunks of what is essentially coal, pressurized until it attains a regular crystalline structure?  Does it have the ability to make the jewelry we wear more beautiful?  Perhaps.  But my eye has never been drawn to something colorless (a diamond) over something colored (an emerald, sapphire, or even a decent garnet for Heaven's sake!)  

Certainly, a diamond makes jewelry more attractive -- but the sad fact is, today's jewelry NEEDS something to make it attractive, because all of the artistry has gone out of the field.  However, even in this case the diamonds take second, at least in my eyes, to many of the colored precious and even some semi-precious stones.

I own several pieces of antique jewelry, some of them family heirlooms which are quite ancient and extremely valuable.  All of them are, in my opinion, exquisitely beautiful.  Not ONE of them boasts a diamond.  In fact, many of them don't even have gems in them at all -- but they are beautifully wrought in gold or silver and are essentially works of art made to wear.

Personally, I think one of the biggest reasons why diamonds are so popular is because 1) jewelers are too busy mass-producing their wares to concentrate on creating something beautiful, and 2) we, the consumers, are so accustomed to looking at big, flashy stones that we wouldn't know a well-made piece of jewelry if it were rammed forcibly into one of our less public bodily orifices.

Whew.  End of rant.  Funny the things one feels they need to get off their proverbial chests ...

--Kess  

You cannot choose the way of your death, but the path you choose will determine its own end.

© Copyright 1999 Linda Anderson - All Rights Reserved
Pepper
Member Elite
since 1999-08-19
Posts 3079
Southern Florida
1 posted 1999-12-21 07:39 PM

Hi Skyfyre...I definetly understand what you are saying here. I am a big fan of the colored stones myself.Here in Fort Lauderdale we have many wonderful artisans, that I purchase my jewlery pieces from...a great siversmith,and a fellow that makes gorgeous pieces consisting of both precious and semi-precious stones.I even know a watchmaker who makes only one of a kind, and custom orders.They all take great pride in their work. So, at least here and at South Beach, their art is still alive and doing well    
I also have some diamond pieces...but they are not my favorites by any means..!     Enjoyed your rant!

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
2 posted 1999-12-21 07:51 PM

LOL.... couldn'ta said it better.....
Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

3 posted 1999-12-22 03:40 PM

May as well buy a piece of clear glass - couldn't be any less boring than a diamond - oh, and cheaper of course.

I am an amethyst kind of girl.

Skyfyre
since 1999-08-15
Posts 1906
Sitting in Michael's Lap
4 posted 1999-12-22 03:49 PM

Severn, my dear, I think you might be on to something!  

Be sure to spread the word ...

--Kess

PS:  (Amethysts are for lovers -- you go girl!)

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
5 posted 1999-12-22 04:35 PM

Jewelry? What's that? I come unadorned with finery...all my shining is done from within!

Actually, being an Aquarian, I love amethysts. But I own only one set .. earrings and teardrop pendant...

caroline
since 1999-08-16
Posts 1218
http://members.xoom.com/belladona123/index.htm
6 posted 1999-12-23 10:03 PM

I have little jewelry, but being an October baby, I do have a couple of pieces with opals. I love the fire in them   I'm very fond of sapphires too, and really couldn't care less for diamonds! Boring!

Great Rant, Sky!

It's not the love you fear, but the fall from the height~Edwin McCain

Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

7 posted 1999-12-26 02:28 AM

Uhhh....they are?

Oh. OK!

LOL -  

RainbowGirl
Member Elite
since 1999-07-31
Posts 3023
United Kingdom
8 posted 1999-12-26 08:55 PM

Oh dear....here I am...*g*...I'd rather have string and know that it could never be measured...I love second hand jewellry, but you know when I got married last time I wasn't allowed to...had to be new but I really wanted something that told a story...perhaps I'm a bit quirky that way..

Nice post!

HUGS

Don't ask me where I'm going, just listen when I'm gone and far away you'll hear me singing softly to the dawn.

Tara Simms
since 1999-08-12
Posts 1244
Honea Path, SC USA
9 posted 1999-12-27 01:31 AM

Ok, I'll be the odd one out.  I LOVE diamonds. Why?  They're beautiful, have such sparkle (nothing sparkles better than a great diamond), are precious, and you can see the fire in them.  In fact, diamonds are a lot like me!  

They are timeless and classic.  

Essentially pieces of coal, yes.  But instead of cracking under the pressure of the earth, they turn into beautiful gems.  Gotta love the strength, resiliency in them. To start as ugly black chunks and turn into beautiful clear stones.  Amazing!

My wedding ring was a gorgeous half carat solitaire, with a wrap I received for an anniversary.  .38 carats of baguettes, set in a chevron design.  Beautiful.  I sold it when I left my marriage. *sigh* I miss it (the ring, not the marriage).

I also love colored gemstones. I'm particularly partial to blue topaz, amethyst, peridot and citrine.  But for elegance, nothing beats diamonds.

It matters not how strait the gate;
How charged with punishments the scroll;
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
--W.E. Henley

JOY 14
since 1999-09-22
Posts 1419
Wisconsin USA
10 posted 2000-01-02 03:59 PM

I agree! I don't understand why some women get so excited about diamonds!  I like to wear jewlerey, (It's a nice accent piece) but it really beats me to what the big deal is!  Well said!

Oh, and a girl's best friend?  For me, that was always the dog and cat in my life!  

< !signature-->

JOY

[This message has been edited by JOY 14 (edited 01-02-2000).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Feelings » Diamonds are a girl's best friend

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary