navwin » Discussion » Feelings » friends
Feelings
Post A Reply Post New Topic friends Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
byski
since 2006-01-26
Posts 235
Alberta, Canada

0 posted 2006-02-04 12:27 PM

What really makes a friend? Sure someone may like your personality, but why do some turn their back when an opportunity arises? When is it right to not look back and only care for yourself? How much should we trust and depend on one another? I ask this because my trust was betrayed and I felt alone during the process. Needless to say I lost a friend but what did I actually learn here? That people are intuitivly evil?......

Unorthodox mabey, but I grow on you.

© Copyright 2006 byski - All Rights Reserved
sandgrain
Member Elite
since 1999-09-21
Posts 3662
Sycamore, IL, USA
1 posted 2006-02-04 06:03 PM

I'm so sorry for your sad experience, but what you'll learn is some friendships are very fickle while others (few)seem to just root naturally. Some are lasting others for a time. Never tell all to any friend as it could come back to bite you.

Some I thought were my friends because they were always visiting me, turned their backs on me when I was confined to bed, but others who I barely knew came with dinners, to visit, offering to babysit, etc.  The only way to know a true friend is to be down and out and see how they treat you.  

My husband, retired, spent a great deal of time helping a young couple next door with all sorts of fix-ups, installations, snow blowing, etc.  The wife thought him a big fool for doing this. You can only be responsible for what you are, say and do.  If another doesn't value a friendship, it's not necessarily your fault, it may just be the type they are.  Some people are just 'takers' in life, and if you give that's fine, but if you need, they become scarce.  Generally, those that ask for the least will offer the most and visa-versa.

Hope this helps.  Never give up, because you deserve to grow and find good friends.  They are out there.

Rae

LifeSinger
since 2006-01-15
Posts 25
Kentucky, USA
2 posted 2006-02-05 11:52 AM

Well said, you took the words right out of my brain!
littlewing
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-03-02
Posts 9655
New York
3 posted 2006-02-05 04:33 PM

What makes a friend?

Someone who understands you, relates to you without passing harsh or hurtful judgement.

Why do some turn their backs?

Some people may not be equipped to deal with things in life as you seem to be.  Sometimes we are on different wavelengths and don't realize how much that friendship meant until later.

You need to start caring for yourself when you feel yourself being drained by another.  When you are overstepping your own health for that of another, then it is time to start again.  I mean this in a situation where there is just no fixing something.  Sometimes, with a little effort, things can be fixed.

You should trust only those that have your heart and best interests in their own.  It is ok to depend on another, as long as it doesnt become a dependence sort of thing.

People are not evil.  Things people do, actions, which sometimes cannot even be explained may seem evil, but eventually can be forgiven.  Or if not forgiven - forgotten.  Or set aside.

Your lesson may not come to you right away.  Most of the important ones hit you when you least expect it.

Hope that helps some.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Feelings » friends

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary