navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #15 » The Days of Our Lives
Open Poetry #15
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Days of Our Lives Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
jellybeans
Member Elite
since 2000-10-13
Posts 2298

0 posted 2001-07-24 10:46 AM

I realize this one is different for me, but it is for someone very close to my heart...and so I post it, for histories sake...sigh

The Days of Our Lives

The script is written…
the days are to be spent
feeding on what surfaces;  
whether it be needy
or attractive
or neither or both
all that matters is
that it is on top.
The number of hits
it can take before
the inevitable swallowing
is all that matters.
Or so it seems to the
deplorable who swim
with the masses and
feed on the frenzy.
The heroes are to be
feared as much as adored
with the many pilots
that guide and give
slight to the lure of danger
for the unsuspecting
and happy-go-luckies.
The pilots punishment,
of course, even as their
addiction hungers
for the excitement-guilt-
as they witness
the shredding and bleeding
and remains of what used
to be sinking to the
bottom.
The heroes, you ask?
they just go on
to the next one
and the next...

...the days are spent feeding

[This message has been edited by jellybeans (edited 07-24-2001).]

© Copyright 2001 jellybeans - All Rights Reserved
Cpat Hair
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-06-05
Posts 11793

1 posted 2001-07-24 10:57 AM

strong images and feelings...

I enjoyed this... and while not your usual style... certainly one to explore on occaision so we can relish in the insight and learn from the perspectives..

very nicely written..

jellybeans
Member Elite
since 2000-10-13
Posts 2298

2 posted 2001-07-24 01:58 PM

thank you cpat...I am afraid this one is not going to be popular.....but that's ok, I like quiet going away parties  
suthern
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
3 posted 2001-07-25 09:07 AM

My, my... you were Miss Prolific yesterday, weren't you?  LOL Could you please share your muse with me??? (C'mon... don't be greedy! *G*)

It is a treat to see you expand your horizons... for whatever style you choose, you achieve excellence. That one line still bothers me a bit (unrepentant grin!) but I think this poem is superb... great metaphors and images!

For me, writing a gift with no goal but to help another and no regard for how popular the gift might be... that's friendship in action!!! *S* I can write my pain without too much difficulty (Who am I kidding? There are times when it seems that's all my pen knows how to write! LOL)... but to observe and preserve for another takes both talent and compassion... and lady, you're full of both! *G*

And I like your idea of quiet going away parties. *S* Since

"the shredding and bleeding
and remains of what used
to be sinking to the
bottom"

is an unfortunately accurate description of me these days and the surface is too far away to contemplate, I'll use this post to wave farewell. *S* After all... I arrived as a shadow, admiring the work of my friends. *S* It's kinda fitting the departure should be the same.... Right, O&O? *S*

Cpat Hair
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-06-05
Posts 11793

4 posted 2001-07-25 09:16 AM

Interesting... comments Suthern. A going away party huh? Seems a shame... for I have enjoyed what I have read... and losing that takes a little out of my life. But.. I am being selfish here.. it is about you going away not about me enjoying or anyone else for that matter enjoying or finding truth and perhaps comfort in your words.

I have in the past...gone away...from someplace, only in time to find myself somewhere else...and in time feeling much as you describe above... not going to lie and say I am never going away from here... because I may one day.. who knows...
Anyway..since I am rambling on and on
I did want you to know I enjoyed reading your words..and if I didn't always comment or if they seemed to be under appreciated
I am sorry...

So in conclusion..with all things being equal and nothing the same..I find in favor of ice cream..the kind with no bones for the final meal.... it at least will leave abit of sweetness in your mouth..and coolness for your tounge.. ( besides... who doesn't like Ice Cream?)

If leave you must or will... know in truth I enjoyed your words

Decaflame
since 2001-05-11
Posts 1635

5 posted 2001-07-25 09:17 AM

I think both you, jellybeans, and suthern...need to kick back, take stock, pen your thoughts....and indulge in a vacation, surely....

but go away?  never....

this is a wonderful write...I don't know that the title alone would have drawn me in as I am far more attracted to jellybeans {~,^} but the gist of the poem is such that I have read several meaning so far, with more to come, I am sure....

so take a break, but do not *poof*...

jellybeans
Member Elite
since 2000-10-13
Posts 2298

6 posted 2001-07-25 01:41 PM

well I gotta say suthern......you know I love you lady, you got more than enough class and love and it shows in every thing you post, poems and comments...PIP will be the less for losing you......now me...lol despite your praise (for we all know you are prejudiced) I will be replaced by poet after poet.....sigh
and Cpat, you also I will miss, I will try to stop by and read your work, as you are an inspiration to me...hugs and....don't know if you would want to, but you could mail me your poems......*inquisitive look*
aftenote:course since neither of us have our email addresses up, that's gonna be kinda hard lol...but if you would like mine, just give me a post on one of my poems and I will give it to you  
decaflame, you could be right, thank you for the pep talk, I have left before and come back...so guess we will see........I got one more I wrote last night, I might post it as my farewell  

[This message has been edited by jellybeans (edited 07-25-2001).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #15 » The Days of Our Lives

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary