navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Beaudelaire for Alain
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Beaudelaire for Alain Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
mia
since 1999-07-06
Posts 118

0 posted 1999-07-13 01:16 PM

Here is the french version of the poem that I was talking to you about and then my attempt at translating and explaining...

So I really hope that you read this because it was a lot of work! It was worth it though because Beaudelaire is my forever favorite poet.

So here I go...

A une passante

La rue assourdissante autour de moi hurlait
Longue,mince,en grand deuil, douleur majestueuse
Une femme passa, d'une main fastueuse
Soulevant, balancant le feston et l'ourlet

Agile et noble, avec sa jambe de statue
Moi je buvais, crispé comme un extravagant
dans son oeil, ciel livide où germe l'ouragan
la douceur qui facine et le plaisir qui tue

Un éclair...puis la nuit - fugitive beauté
dont le regard m'a fait soudainement renaître
Ne te verrais-je plus que dans l'éternité?

Ailleur,bien loin d'ici!Trop tard!Jamais peut-être
car j'ignore où tu fuis, tu ne sais où je vais
ô toi que j'eusse aimé, ô toi qui le savais!

The deafening street screamed around me
Long,thin, in great mourning,majestic pain
a woman passed, with gorgeous hand (in contexte it could also mean showing off her hand)
lifting,swigning festoon and hem (the shape she had in her clothe i presume)

Nimble and noble, with her strait leg
i was drinking crisped as an extravagant
in her eyes, livid sky where sprout hurricains
the sofness that fascinates, the fun that kills

Lightning... the night - fugitive beauty
who's glance made me suddenly reborn
will I never see you again but in eternity?

Elsewhere, quite far from here! too late! maybe never
because I know not where you run and you know not where I am going
Oh you that I have loved so. Oh you that knew.

Charles Beaudelaire

It sounds sooooooo much better in french that it is almost a crime to try to translate it but I wanted to share it with you and with everyone with a small hope that I have sparked some interest in this great poet. I am certain that professionnal translators can actually illustrate the feel of his work, I certainely can't. Anyways...

See you later!!! Actually read you later great poets...

Mia

© Copyright 1999 mia - All Rights Reserved
Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
1 posted 1999-07-13 01:53 PM

Thank you for sharing this one with us...such a wonderful tribute. Last time I took a French language class was about 12 years ago...je ne parle pas le langue...
However, it does kindle the desire to relearn, just to read works in other languages in their native languages.

Alicat

Le Jongleur Aspirante
(the aspiring minstrel, 12th c. Norman French)

mia
since 1999-07-06
Posts 118

2 posted 1999-07-13 02:32 PM

Alicat...

i'm so sorry..maybe i did something wrong because this poem is not mine at all but Charles Beaudelaire's poem. I hope that no one thinks that I was trying to copy or plagerise or anything... I just wanted to show this poem and it's english translation because while reading a poem that alain delacendres wrote, I thought of this one...

so sorry!
m

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
3 posted 1999-07-13 07:25 PM

Now don't fret bout nuthin, hun.
I knew that this piece was someone else's, as you have told such in your intro...no sweat.
Also you gave the 'Americanized' translation...again, no sweat.
In fact, I have been thinking that mayhaps we need yet another forum *groans from Ron, I'm sure* for the sharing of personally loved verse from other poets, if you catch my drift. I.E. you were heavily inspired by Rime of the Ancient Mariner by Coleridge, and you wanted to share such with others so they wouldn't have to search it out in a book....well, you could post it there, with proper ownership, or you could find it in Passion's main site...quite extensive category for some of Ron's fav authors...and have a link pointing back to that page...all this to show the rest what inspired you, who you love/admire/worship/hate/etc, or a certain genre/style that appeals...like Nan's pantoums. Hmmm...I've waxed verbose again...hope this clears/creates this/that mis/understanding...whatever

Alicat, the purrsnick-kitty

Ladycat
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 1999-07-05
Posts 782
At the edge and a doorway,TX
4 posted 1999-07-14 09:12 AM

Wow Mia,
Nice translation.. I think that I will now have to look a little deeper into this poet.. I have heard of him, but never read anything.. I know that you have sparked my attention..

Thanks Alot
Love,
Lady

------------------
Live in my world just once and you'll find yourself enraptured.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Beaudelaire for Alain

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary