navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Sometimes life can be tough. My heart hurts.
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Sometimes life can be tough. My heart hurts. Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Saxoness
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 1999-07-18
Posts 1102
Texas

0 posted 2001-01-15 02:05 AM

I would like to start off by first saying that this probably would go better under the feelings forum, however, I'm old school passions and I just feel better about posting it in the Alley.  Sorry guys.

Ok.  So, this is my second year in college, and I have to say that although I'm experiencing some of the best times of my life, I'm also experiencing some of the worst.
First off, I'm in some pretty big finacial battles. School is expensive, especially when you are trying to pay for it yourself.  My Dad, I love him so much, works as hard as he can so my Mom doesn't have to, and he simply can't afford to help me out.  I've been drawing out loans left and right, and the newest problem is that my school has decided to put a hold on my college account, which I use to purchase books for classes.  So, I have no funds whatsoever, and I just started a new semester with five new classes. They told me, well, you can use a credit card or cash to purchase your books.  I said, if I had that kind of money, I wouldn't owe you people anything.  I didn't get much of a response past it's your problem. It's so hard to handle this. By myself, I mean.  If I told my Dad, he would do everything he could to send me the money. However, I know that he almost went bankrupt last month, and can't afford it. I...just don't know what to do. My parents are so proud of me...I want to do everything I can.  I have to get these books in order to pass my classes.  It's like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.
Next, my Mother ... is having emotional problems.  It could be Bi-polar disorder, it could be menopause...it could be a lot of things. But my Dad is depressed about it, My sister just got a new house, and then her husband was in a near fatal car accident and they are in the middle of a court battle...and to top it all off, over the summer I was told that I most likey wouldn't be able to have children, and I have to take medications for some rare disorder that onle ten percent of women have. It really never ends...no one is there for me or able to help me. And I know that none of you can take my problems away...but I just need someone to lend a shoulder, say, I'm praying for you, I'm thinking about you, don't give up.  Thats all I have to say, I guess.

"Glory remains unaware of my neglected dwelling where alone
I sing my tearful song which has charms only for me."

© Copyright 2001 Angela Erin Burke - All Rights Reserved
White Wolf
since 1999-09-18
Posts 371
Somewhere in the vast wasteland
1 posted 2001-01-15 04:00 AM

I know where you are at.  I am in a similar situation.  I have been there most of my adult life, about six years.  From my past, I have learned that there is always another way, even if you can't see it.  I might suggest a couple of things that have helped my friends in similar situations.  One friend found classmates who were willing to share thier books until he could afford them.  Another talked to his advisor or counselor about his situation.  I have also heard that talking to the teacher can help too.  People do understand.  Most of us know what it is like.  I hope this helps but you may have already tried them.  If these don't help well, just know that I will be praying for you.  I wish you well in everything else.

The White Wolf

Elizabeth
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 1999-06-07
Posts 6871
Minnesota
2 posted 2001-01-15 11:33 AM

I will be praying for you. Gosh I know how expenive college books are. Even if you buy them used, they can be quite a bit! (When I took psych the book would have been $80 but I got it used and only got it for $60...big sale!) And the problems with your family only make it worse. I hope your mom is feeling better soon, and that everything works out for your sister and her husband. And I will be praying for you.
SpitFire
Member Elite
since 2000-04-19
Posts 2396

3 posted 2001-01-15 01:00 PM

~"Sometimes life can be tough. My heart hurts.",...I wish it wasn't and I soOo wish it didn't. I'm sorry to hear about all the troubles you and your family are going through. - I do have a little suggestion that may help out with the textbook situation. You should check your school library and the local public libraries in your city/town and in the neighboring cities/towns. They may not have all of the books that you need but they are bound to have a few between them - and if you explain your situation to them they'll usually allow you to keep renewing it/them until the semester is over. Anyway,...take care of yourself. *Peace.  

[This message has been edited by SpitFire (edited 01-15-2001).]

Isis
Member Ascendant
since 1999-09-06
Posts 6296
Sunny Queensland
4 posted 2001-01-15 06:33 PM

I understand all the emotions involved and how confused and drained, worried etc you must feel.  *Huge hugs*  Venting a little always helps some no?
You and the family will be in my prayers hon.
Stay strong, *hugs again*
Isis

*The heart of education is the education of the heart...*
~Isis~~Sovereign of the Spirit.

Dopey Dope
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2000-08-30
Posts 11132
San Juan, Puerto Rico
5 posted 2001-01-15 07:29 PM

I'm sorry you're feeling down. I sure hope things get better. Good luck!

I was born myself, raised myself, and will continue to be myself. The world will just have to adjust.

I'm in love with my shadow
I admire it daily

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
6 posted 2001-01-15 08:11 PM

This too shall pass, my friend... Hang in there - You're half way through... All will be well...
WhtDove
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-22
Posts 9245
Illinois
7 posted 2001-01-16 09:55 AM

Oh sweetheart, I know about having problems, especially of this nature. ~BIG HUGS~

Have you checked into getting grants? Federal aid? They go according to your income, so you should be able to get something like that to help you.

There is also what's called a Hope Grant, or a Lifetime Learning Grant.

I'm not sure where you are, but this is for my state I believe...here's some addys that might get you started... Hope, and Lifetme grants...  
www.irs.gov

www.ed.gov/studentaid
www.ed.gov/prog_info/SFA/FAFSA

I'm really sorry to hear all this, and I know it's awfully frustrating to say the least. God shall find a way for you sweetheart, and I shall keep you in my prayers.

[This message has been edited by WhtDove (edited 01-16-2001).]

WhtDove
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-22
Posts 9245
Illinois
8 posted 2001-01-16 09:53 PM

I bought my puter book today, and they threw this in the bag. I hope it helps some more.

Student Financial Services is the premier nationwide financial aid research organization.

Our comprehensive financial aid program covers thousands of available private and public sector scholarships, grants, loans and fellowships.

Call 1-888-266-5562 ask for extension F 33295

Much of the funding is in the form of grants and scholarships-not loans-so the money you receive may not need to be paid back.

Hope this helps you some sweetie!

Saxoness
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 1999-07-18
Posts 1102
Texas
9 posted 2001-01-17 01:20 PM

Thanks everyone for the encouraging words. A little update, my Mom went to the doctors and was diagnosed with depression, she is on meds now, and she has to go in for an MRI soon because she has some hearing loss in her right ear and the doctors aren't sure why. I'm still messing with the school as far as funds, but those web sites and phone numbers look worth checking out, WhtDove, thanks. I had to go get another job, so now I'm working about 30 hours a week plus full time school. So, hopefully I won't get burnt out. Thats whats going on right now, so prayers are still very much needed.  Thanks ya'll

WhtDove
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-22
Posts 9245
Illinois
10 posted 2001-01-18 09:17 AM

Dear I shall keep you in my prayers.  

Mom too. (((((Hugs)))))

bestgirl911
since 2000-10-04
Posts 551
Clio, MI , United We Stand
11 posted 2001-01-18 09:50 AM

((((((hugs)))))) & prayers

WhtDove
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-22
Posts 9245
Illinois
12 posted 2001-02-08 11:18 AM

Hey sweetie, I got some more info from the newspaper.

There's a clipping there, about selling your books back to the book store, and not getting back even 1/2 what you paid.
So they made a web site for it, where you can buy and sell college books. You might want to check this out. It might be cheaper.
I have not looked into yet.
http://www.CollegeStudentsNetwork.com

Saxoness
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 1999-07-18
Posts 1102
Texas
13 posted 2001-02-08 11:54 PM

Thanks WhtDove, I'm sorry I should have updated this earlier, but it had sunk and I forgot.  A lady I know up here who leads the weekly bible study I go to used to attend the church I have been frequenting.  Anyway, she made a few phone calls and discovered that the church had a fund set up to help struggling college students.  So she made a few more phone calls, and the church wrote me a check for two hundred dollars, which is the amount I needed to cover the rest of the books i was unable to get at the library.  Praise God for answered prayers  

[This message has been edited by Saxoness (edited 02-08-2001).]

Mother_Earth
since 2000-11-20
Posts 1370
1/2 year Texas & 1/2 year Michigan
14 posted 2001-02-12 08:08 PM

Dear girl, I am so very proud of you!!!  Instead of sitting back and feeling sorry for yourself, you went out there, got jobs, looked into every kind of student aid you could find and still prayed to the Lord.  What a wonderful child you are and I hope, someday when this is all behind you, you let your parents know what you did.  They will love you even more than they do now.  Just think! if you can get through this, you can whip the world!  Hugs and prayers for you,  ME
WhtDove
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-22
Posts 9245
Illinois
15 posted 2001-02-12 08:15 PM

Hey sweetie that's great news!! The Lord ALWAYS provides!!

Now, just get those good grades.  

Hugs and prayers!

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Sometimes life can be tough. My heart hurts.

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary