navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Disturbing News!!
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Disturbing News!! Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
WhtDove
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-22
Posts 9245
Illinois

0 posted 2001-02-04 08:01 PM

Never before was I aware of this, and I just happened to 'fall' over it while surfing.

Anyone out there have a web site on Yahoo??
You might want to view this.
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

© Copyright 2001 WhtDove - All Rights Reserved
fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

1 posted 2001-02-05 05:10 PM

Here are a few quotes from the document, and why I think they are just legalistic scare tactics that you needn't worry about:

"If you provide any information that is untrue, inaccurate, not current or incomplete, or Yahoo has reasonable grounds to suspect that such information is untrue, inaccurate, not current or incomplete, Yahoo has the right to suspend or terminate your account and refuse any and all current or future use of the Service (or any portion thereof)."

I'm on several Yahoo clubs.  Over 50% of the people on these clubs have profiles with locations like "insanity" or "out there somewhere", and they've yet to be deleted.  Besides, I don't mean to offend anybody, but putting your address and actual location out on the internet for everyone to see is like jumping down into the lion's den in Daniel, with blood covered meat plastered all over your body.  I'm not going to say anything about my profiles in this document, in case somebody from the Yahoo Staff is here, and they actually give a darn.

"You agree to (a) immediately notify Yahoo of any unauthorized use of your password or account or any other breach of security, and (b) ensure that you exit from your account at the end of each session. Yahoo cannot and will not be liable for any loss or damage arising from your failure to comply with this Section 5."

It is easy to set your account to ask you for your password every 15 minutes, when using secure clubs or other services, such as email.  However, I do recomend that you do sign out.  About liability, that's a no-brainer.  I return to the identity crisis, lol.  It is not a good idea to put anything that might allow some psycho or something to find you, in your profile, as neither Yahoo, nor any other free service, can be held liable in the event that such a thing occurs.

"...you, and not Yahoo, are entirely responsible for all Content that you upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available via the Service. Yahoo does not control the Content posted via the Service and, as such, does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity or quality of such Content. You understand that by using the Service, you may be exposed to Content that is offensive, indecent or objectionable."

This is a bit of a loophole, wouldn't you say?

"You agree to not use the Service to:

"

Once again, since this is the internet, it is very difficult to police such things.  Since Yahoo has already conveniently made it so that it is not liable for people doing such things.....

"You acknowledge that Yahoo does not pre-screen Content, but that Yahoo and its designees shall have the right (but not the obligation) in their sole discretion to refuse or move any Content that is available via the Service. Without limiting the foregoing, Yahoo and its designees shall have the right to remove any Content that violates the TOS or is otherwise objectionable."

I've yet to see this happen.

"You agree that Yahoo, in its sole discretion, may terminate your password, account (or any part thereof) or use of the Service, and remove and discard any Content within the Service, for any reason, including, without limitation, for lack of use or if Yahoo believes that you have violated or acted inconsistently with the letter or spirit of the TOS. "

I've yet to see this take place.  In fact, I go to some Christian message boards in which people regularly swear and mouth off about how Christianity is orwellian, and whatnot.  These people have yet to be removed.  Either that, or else the removal process is painfully slow.

"The Service may provide, or third parties may provide, links to other World Wide Web sites or resources. Because Yahoo has no control over such sites and resources, you acknowledge and agree that Yahoo is not responsible for the availability of such external sites or resources, and does not endorse and is not responsible or liable for any Content, advertising, products, or other materials on or available from such sites or resources. "

Another no-brainer.

"Please report any violations of the TOS to our Customer Care group. "

I wonder how much email that group gets per day, lol.  In my humble opinion, based upon experience, it's not likely to be a whole lot.  People are just too busy to be goody goodies and tattle tale on everybody that makes an occasional dis or whatever.  

ANyhow, this is just my humble opinion, based upon experience.  Hope it helps.

And watch out for those nasty corporations trying to get you to divulge every little detail about yourself, lol

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
2 posted 2001-02-05 05:22 PM

No worries, Dovey. When Yahoo! bought Geocities, they originally worded their contract in such a way that would give all intellectual property rights from individual authors to Yahoo! Since then, the contract has been reworked, and reading through it, I found no instance of intellectual copyright being voided or acquired by Yahoo!. All items created by the author and uploaded to one of their sites stays the property of the originating author, although this may not keep other people from using your material sans authorization. Of course, since then AOL has purchased Yahoo!, as well as ICQ. I think, if memory serves, that they did such during the Microsoft monopoly ruling. Funny that...while Microsoft was busy in federal court, AOL was buying up everything they could...but then again, AOL donates liberally to the DNC, so I guess no surprises should be found there.

The long and short is, no worries. If'n you don't feel comfy with their contract, move your site. But you may find that other webhosters, outside of PiP, have such contractual wording regarding copyrights.

Caveat emptor, let the buyer beware.

Alicat

“It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most
intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.”  Charles Darwin

[This message has been edited by Alicat (edited 02-05-2001).]

WhtDove
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-22
Posts 9245
Illinois
3 posted 2001-02-05 05:55 PM

Ummm, it's this part that bothers me!!

claim ownership of Content you submit or make available for inclusion on the Service. However, with respect to Content you submit or make available for inclusion on publicly accessible areas of the Service, you grant Yahoo the following world-wide, royalty free and non-exclusive license(s), as applicable:

fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

4 posted 2001-02-05 06:41 PM

OK, here's what you do then:

Go to some other places, like www.angelfire.com, and see if they have similar policies.  If they do not, then write up the material there, and then link to it from your Geocities page.

WhtDove
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-22
Posts 9245
Illinois
5 posted 2001-02-05 09:34 PM

You can't do that! That's stealing bandwidth.
I know some of the other free sites, are the same as well. Homestead, Xoom, I know Homestead is owned by them as well.

I mean if they're gonna offer something for free, then they should do it with NO strings attached! Ya know what I mean?

fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

6 posted 2001-02-06 02:31 AM

So?  Who's gonna stop you from doing it?
WhtDove
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-22
Posts 9245
Illinois
7 posted 2001-02-06 09:24 AM

Probably know one, but that's where morals come in. It's dishonest, and I won't do something like that.

I'd build my own site first.

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
8 posted 2001-02-06 11:25 AM

Actually becca, I think you're completely wrong. The free part of the service is that you don't pay them out of your pocket to host your site, etc. However, I think it's probably fair to assume that whoever owns these free sites are hardly philanthropists. They're in business to make money, and they do so through you. In fact, I don't think it would be far-fetched to say that as soon as you put a site on Geocities, you're actually working for them.

You're using websites and email addresses with advertising they get paid for all over the place. You've effectively become a marketing tool for Yahoo, etc. Basically what I'm saying, is that there are no "moral" issues here, I think. They're here to make money, and you're their path to do so.

C

fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

9 posted 2001-02-09 10:24 PM

Christopher has a good point.

I don't mean to sound too "old fashioned" or right winged here, but we live in a world that seems to be able to abandon morality at the drop of a hat to make money.  Take a look at your website.  Yahoo/Geocities plasters it with advertisements and uses your material the same way a company uses a cereal box - as another surface with which to get pointless material out to the public.

[This message has been edited by fractal007 (edited 02-09-2001).]

WhtDove
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-22
Posts 9245
Illinois
10 posted 2001-02-09 10:52 PM

As for their advertising, yes, they do it.
But to say that they have 'rights' over your work. That would mean pictures, poems, graphics, music. They can change it, use it, copy it, modify it, pretty much you're giving them rights to do what they want with it, as long as you post on their site.

And this is alright with you?

[This message has been edited by WhtDove (edited 02-09-2001).]

fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

11 posted 2001-02-12 10:51 PM

Well, then link to it here.  Are you sure that the contract says that?  Isn't that illegal?  That is plajurism.  Perhaps we should create a petition post here, and then tell Yahoo to go here and see all the signatures.
Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
12 posted 2001-02-13 01:09 AM

Or, Dovie, you could check this link out: Yahoo! Copyrights. This link is found off this Yahoo! Geocities TOS.

Hope that clarifies somewhat.

Alicat

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Disturbing News!!

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary