navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #38 » Playground Blues (reposted from 2002)
Open Poetry #38
Post A Reply Post New Topic Playground Blues (reposted from 2002) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
ecrivan
Member Elite
since 2001-12-10
Posts 3923
my own state

0 posted 2006-06-24 05:56 PM

Playground with the wooden swings
has given way to more modern things
putskids in wait for bureaucractic changes
while park authorities go through neglected stages...

that keeps the child bored at recess
and the playground has begun to regress
and we ask ourselves what's the danger in a few
wooden splinters
consider a cut in recess activities is akin to added winters...

that forces the child to remain inside
'cause city bylaws must 'rework' old slides
for fear the child might collapse the thing
how content we were on wooden slat swings...

this is how we fan a fearful parent's pride
to keep children from the exercise of park rides
while more accidents are caused by their transport to the park
then the injuries that occur out of a momentary spark.

most injuries were caused by scarfs caught
on playgroung facilities
not by the lack of modern amenities...
not due to older rides that need to be revamped
the city now loves to stop clild exercises,
to apply its new stamp
we're in a stage where scratched knees
become a major parental concern...
I see more kids getting obese
while parents ban older installations
remaining taciturn.

© Copyright 2006 Martin Dansky - All Rights Reserved
nedj
since 2006-06-23
Posts 87
Oregon USA
1 posted 2006-06-24 06:38 PM

A worthwhile subject, ecrivan. You raise some excellent questions, but why not try to answer some? Why is it, for example, that people have traded their old fears for these new ones? They must have, or no one would ever suggest such absurd laws. And even if some miscreant politician got the law passed, the citizenry would storm City Hall in protest. But they do want it, or at least feel the need for it. It was not always so. Why not give some thought to exploring that change, too. Maybe we all should. Could produce some interesting stuff, eh?

A poem's just a poet in a word.

ecrivan
Member Elite
since 2001-12-10
Posts 3923
my own state
2 posted 2006-06-28 02:35 PM

One can discern what one wants to from many of my poems, i am not there to say whta you shouldn't or should value. My point is to reflect and bring up major issues that people shy away from and that be raised by people including yourself. And people like yourself can also try to answer why things are the way they are. By the way the issue I wanted to bring up here wasn't how people trade old issues for new ones, but how many times people get derailed fron the main issues in life and concentrate on the trivial ones. Since I find that as current today today as when I wrote the poem, I decided to repost it. By the way when it comes to changing park facilities, I have lived long enough to know that even when politicians fail to act on the interests of the public that elect them most often that public is too docile to storm City Hall. Change would be all too simple as lobbying for municipal chnages in city development sometimes takes years and people are generally too apathetic to react in the way you suggest!Thanks for your feedback  

[This message has been edited by ecrivan (06-30-2006 08:44 AM).]

nedj
since 2006-06-23
Posts 87
Oregon USA
3 posted 2006-06-29 12:05 PM

ecrivan, you make a good point about people often focusing on trivial matters to the exclusion of more important ones. I suppose it's probably as simple as their preferring to take on something they feel they can do something about, rather than taking on what really matters that they don't feel able to make a difference with. At least some of the time. I wish I had a dollar for every time I've heard someone ask, "Why?" without waiting for an answer. It so often seems like an unconditional surrender to powerlessness. And perhaps it is. Well done, in any event.

A poem's just a poet in a word.

passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
4 posted 2006-06-29 01:06 AM

good write Martin
thanks for the repost

nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
5 posted 2006-06-29 05:54 AM

that forces the child to remain inside
'cause city bylaws must 'rework' old slides
for fear the child might collapse the thing
how content we were on wooden slat swings...

sad thing when LAWSUITS bring about so many changes..when every time something happens that would be  "normal" accidents in the past  have now become what  many consider the way to make a buck..between lawyers and parents..instead of focussing on safety.

And as a teacher-to-be once again, and substituting this past year they have even stopped the game of dodge ball fearing first that kids will aim to pick on the weakest and hurt a child's feelings and second that someone might get hurt physically..so instead the kids chase each other around the playgrounds and end up being sent to the nurse for skinned knees...or sit on top of the monkey bars (instead of using them correctly) and fall and break their arms etc. Some districts only have recess a short period of time after lunch while others are even deciding to do away with it and gym...and other specials.

M

Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
6 posted 2006-06-29 09:02 AM

Appreciated this thoughtful work, dear Martin. Children are in need of playgrounds thought and realized for them, according to all the safety norms. And parents ought to teach their children the right movements in every situation or on every installation, so that they will be able to move without hurting themselves or others.

Love,
Margherita

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #38 » Playground Blues (reposted from 2002)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary