navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #37 » Brio Dash
Open Poetry #37
Post A Reply Post New Topic Brio Dash Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Edward Grim
since 2005-12-18
Posts 1154
Greenville, South Carolina

0 posted 2006-01-26 02:04 PM

Brio Dash

Life without pain
Must be a pain to live.
For without
Dis
   appointment
And
Dis
   traction
Nothing is worth it.
No matter how
Dis
   tant
you may think you are.
Nothing will throw you into
Dis
   array
more than your
Dis
   integrating
Reality.
Not you,
You are not alone.
I tell you the truth.
So don’t live your lie
Until you sink into the g
                        r
                        o
                        u
                        n
                        d.

Momma says, "Life... is like a box full of chocolates, you never know when you're gonna get one with a nut in it".

© Copyright 2006 Edward Grant - All Rights Reserved
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

1 posted 2006-01-26 03:27 PM

I looked up brio to make sure I knew what it meant:

bri·o>  
n.
Vigor; vivacity: “She tells their story with brio and a mixture of sympathy and tart insight” (Michiko Kakutani).

Your poetry always leads me to unexpected paths of thought. I'll be thinking about this message for a long time.

I usually do not critique unless I know someone very well, but since you have encouraged it, I'll hold my breath and hope you don't take offense when I suggest the following:

I do admire the construction and I applaud the dis jointed parts for emphasis and layered meaning, but in my humble opinion, the sinking ground is not necessary for emphasis, and it is a bit distracting. (And I have used the same sort of ending, but it was a cutesy sort of poem--and I think this message is a tad more serious than mine.)

But on the whole, I will be thinking about this one for some time.

You see? I am one who has spent a lifetime running from pain--and the result is that I have done more injury to myself than that with which I had to cope initially.

(I hope that made sense--shaking my head and smiling--sometimes it's better to just split the infinitive, huh? )

Much enjoy your work Ed Grim.

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
2 posted 2006-01-26 03:48 PM

Whilst Serenity Blaze is a far better poet than I can ever aspire to be, and whilst I value her opinions immensely, I don't always agree with her.  For the record, I rather liked the sinking ground and the dis
jointed words, but that doesn't mean I am right.  I liked the content of your poem as well.

- Owl

RedStoneEB
since 2003-06-08
Posts 772
uk
3 posted 2006-01-26 05:20 PM

Makes me wonder if someone was to teach someone pain was good and no pain that would be the happy feeling was bad would they be able to seek and cope with pain more?
suthern
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
4 posted 2006-01-27 11:39 AM

Life without pain
Must be a pain to live.

Perhaps. *S* But I'd sure like to try it for a while... just for comparison's sake. *G*

I like this very much... Excellent write!

Edward Grim
since 2005-12-18
Posts 1154
Greenville, South Carolina
5 posted 2006-01-27 12:07 PM

Thanks for the advice serenity. I can definitely see your point with the ground thing. I've really never done that in a poem before so I was taking it for a test drive. I looked it over and I think you may be right, it does sort of take away from the message. Thanks

Owl, thanks for the support. I like the "Ground concept" and think I may use it on another occasion. Thanks again.

That's a good question Redstone. They probably wouldn't be able to cope.

I know what you mean suthern. Let me tell you, I tried a life with no pain for a while a.k.a. vacation. Trust me it always comes back, lol. I'm glad you liked it. Thanks

Thanks everybody for all you great replies. Cheers   - Ed

Momma says, "Life... is like a box full of chocolates, you never know when you're gonna get one with a nut in it".

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #37 » Brio Dash

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary