navwin » Archives » Dark Poetry #1 » The Mouse (DreamEvil Halloween Prose challenge)
Dark Poetry #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Mouse (DreamEvil Halloween Prose challenge) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Systematic Decay
since 1999-09-15
Posts 1301
That place with padded walls and funny people in white.........

0 posted 1999-10-22 10:46 AM

The Mouse

The Mouse

-I Was originally planning on posting this closer to Halloween, but circumstance dictates that I should post it earlier-

-The worst part about this story is that it is essentially true. The names were changed, and the dialogue I have forgotten was made up……but a true event in my life nonetheless. Enjoy-

Once, I was a happy girl. In a long ago, nearly forgotten time, I had hopes. Dreams. Goals. But Theresa destroyed it all. Or, more truthfully, I let her destroy it all for me. I was warped to her needs and demands. I did things I shudder thinking back upon. I degraded myself, and painted on a smile. The story I am about to relate is one that makes my guts twist in knots, sends me into a squeamish, hateful, terror. Perhaps it will not make any impression on anyone who reads it, except perhaps that I am one sick, screwed up individual. Go ahead and read, and think of me what you wish.

Not too terribly long ago, maybe a year and a half ago, in the summer of 1998, which also happens to have been the absolute worst summer of my entire life, I was spending the night at Theresa’s house. That was always a nightmare, because even going to the bathroom was a hassle. I could only do so if Theresa didn’t need me around for some trifling reason. I usually ended up sleeping with little or no covers on the floor, and being rudely awakened by her at about 7 or 8 in the morning, after perhaps 2 hours of sleep, at the most.

Back to the point, on this particular night, we were sitting on her bed, playing with a mouse she kept as a pet. Of course, her mother would never allow a filthy rodent in her house, so Theresa kept it hidden in a small container in her closet. Out of nowhere she said, "Wouldn’t it be cool to send Billy an envelope full of mouse organs?"

My heart sunk, and I only prayed that she wasn’t serious. Billy was her current boyfriend, quite a loser if you ask me. But she attracted people with those qualities. Anyway, they were currently having problems, to say the least. I laughed, playing along. I was good at that by now. "Yeah that would be pretty funny." I reminded myself to avert my eyes, lest she see the repulsive hate in them.

She was currently holding the little mouse, who I don’t believe had a name. She thrust it into my hands and said, "Hold it for a minute." She walked out into the bathroom, where I knew there were an assortment of scissors. I considered letting the mouse go, but knew it would result in being forced to find the mouse, even if it took until dawn. Besides, I didn’t want to take a chance. An angry Theresa holding a sharp object was definitely bad for me.

I felt despair for the unsuspecting creature in my hands as I saw Theresa coming out of the bathroom with a pair of manicure scissors. Now resigned to what I had to do, I steeled myself. You see, Theresa had a strange power over me, and she knew I wouldn’t bother resisting when she wanted to do this. I never voiced my objections to anything she wanted me to do. I used to, but to no avail. So I eventually just gave up.

I managed to feign enthusiasm for this meaningless slaughter of an innocent animal as Theresa gave me orders on what to do. "Ok," she said, basking in her complete control of the situation. "Hold it." I don’t know if any of you have ever tried to hold a small squirming mouse still, but it borders on the impossible. Theresa snipped of a bit of its tail. With an agonized squeak, it began to thrash around wildly. "Can’t you do anything right? Hold it still." I struggled to get a firm grip on the mouse, while making sure my apology to her sounded sincere. "Sorry," I said.

Theresa tried uselessly to cut off more of its tail for a few minutes. Then she tossed the scissors down, frustrated. "I can’t get it because you can’t even hold the stupid thing down. You do it."

I swallowed thickly and took the scissors from her hands. After a few attempts, I was able to cut the tail off at the base. Nausea and guilt raged through me at the sound of another agonized squeak. I simply sat there for a few minutes, trying to control my emotions. Couldn’t let them be known. Then Theresa spoke, bringing me out of my thoughts. "Why did you stop?"

Thinking quickly, I said, "I can’t get to any other parts of its body while I’m holding it like this." Which was true.

Theresa was obviously disgusted. She looked angry enough to strike me- not an unusual thing for her to do. "God, you are really worthless. I can’t believe that there are really people as stupid as you. Give me the scissors and HOLD IT STILL."

I relinquished the scissors, and tried to hold the poor creature still. I knew then that there was no God. No God would allow such a beast as Theresa, (or me for that matter), to walk his beautiful Earth. Not to say that the world is beautiful anymore. It was once, but that was before humans ever entered the picture.

The mouse was obviously not going to hold still, so I said, "Hold on." I picked up a towel, and got a good grip on its head and lower torso, leaving its belly exposed, cursing myself all the while. Theresa moved in, her face a picture of grim determination. She grabbed one of its paws, and closed the scissors around its leg.

There was a sickening crunch, the bones splintered and flesh was ripped away, and with a final tug of the metal hands of death, the foot of the unfortunate mouse was torn from its home on the leg. I clenched my teeth so I wouldn’t join the mouse in its painful noise…it was less of a squeak now, and more of a scream. This process was repeated with each foot, until the mouse was left with nothing but bloody stumps instead of paws. "Put it down," Theresa said.

I did so eagerly. Letting go of the mouse made it less guilt inducing to me…..if I could watch instead of participate, I felt less filthy, and heartless- although I knew I was still just as much at fault. Theresa, on the other hand, laughed merrily as it tried to walk on the stumps.

I watched with a certain detachment as Theresa slowly tortured the poor thing. I wondered why she couldn’t just kill it instead of dissecting it while it was still alive- put it out of its misery. I willed myself to keep a poker face, revealing nothing of my true feelings, as she held the open scissors in front of the mouse’s mouth. Sure enough, it bit, and Theresa snapped the scissors shut- all but removing its nose. She then inserted one half of the scissors into its belly, and again, snapped the shut. She had to work a little bit to get through the flesh, but finally the scissors came out, and left a bloody opening in the mouse. As it continued to struggle, its entrails peeked out of the gash in its side.

Theresa said, mostly to herself, "I wonder if it feels pain…?" The childlike wonder I heard in her voice confused me. It seemed rather evident to me that it was feeling pain……..but what do I know? She looked at me. "Hey, you wanna try?" She held the tiny pair of scissors, now bloodstained, out to me as though they were a sacrificial offering.

Without a second thought, I grabbed them from her. My plan was to do it quickly. I raised my hand above the mouse and stabbed it several times in succession. Finally, it stopped moving. Its nightmare was over…..or perhaps it had just begun. For even though some humans believe there is life after death, does this plan include mice? Or are they just lost in oblivion?

As I laid the scissors down, Theresa looked as though she was in shock. "Wow," she said, "Amanda….look at what we’ve done." –(yes…..)- "I wonder if God will hate us..?" –(What god?)- "I wonder if we’ll go to Hell for this..?" -(Hell? I’m already in Hell..)- But to each of her questions I gave a somber faced shrug, or "I don’t know."

Just another event in my usual day to day life. No big deal. Well, maybe it was. For one little mouse it was, anyway.

------------------
"Despite all my rage, I am still just a rat in a cage."
-Billy Corgan-

[This message has been edited by Systematic Decay (edited 10-22-1999).]

© Copyright 1999 Systematic Decay - All Rights Reserved
Watcher666
since 1999-10-13
Posts 1606

1 posted 1999-10-22 11:28 AM

You did well with this.It horrifies me to know that a person like her could possible exist.Glad your well away from her Hon.

------------------
Illusion...what we see and what we do...it's all up to you.

JennyLee
since 1999-09-01
Posts 1461
Northwestern, NJ.
2 posted 1999-10-22 11:50 AM

God such a horrible event....for such a sweet soul as your to endure. You did a great job relating it for us to understand!

Much Love,
Jenny

DreamEvil
Member Elite
since 1999-06-22
Posts 2396

3 posted 1999-10-22 12:23 PM

Horrifying and gut-wrenching tale this is. I am glad that you broke from such a submissive hold one had upon you.

I did ask to be scared, but as mortified is closer as I can relate to such senseless cruelty to the powerless though much of what allows me to relate, I rescued the tormented from.

Seems we both need to find or make peace with our demons.

------------------
Now and forever, my heart hears ~one voice~.
DreamEvil©

Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
4 posted 1999-10-23 11:32 PM

A challenge well met, Sys. This is a great piece of prose. Horrofying, indeed.

------------------
Michael Anderson

Is all that we see or seem
but a dream within a dream?

Systematic Decay
since 1999-09-15
Posts 1301
That place with padded walls and funny people in white.........
5 posted 1999-10-24 01:40 AM

Thanks everyone, for reading and commenting. I usually don't write stories, because I suck at it..but I guess this one turned out ok.

------------------
"Despite all my rage, I am still just a rat in a cage."
-Billy Corgan-

suicidal dreams
since 1999-09-28
Posts 343
Toledo Ohio USA
6 posted 1999-10-24 08:43 PM

Knowing you personally you are not cruel but This evil B!^#% made you do things youd never have done or thought of and that is why I will help you oh how shall i say it, hmmm exterminate that rat LOL. But great story and it was very terrifying in the aspect of the cruelty of the Female who will still remain nameless .

------------------
life is short kill quick

Moonshine
since 1999-10-01
Posts 265
Australia
7 posted 1999-10-25 12:47 PM

Hey there SD,

Great piece of writing. I'm so sorry that you had to endure this heinous bitch and all the horrible workings of her warped mind.

poetFemmeFatale
Member Elite
since 1999-07-25
Posts 2646
Arkansas
8 posted 1999-10-31 03:47 PM

It saddens me to know that in society today, there are those who cannot or will not stand up for themselves...and be strong toward those who try to "lead them around" as if they're mindless, and unable to make their own decisions within morality and such. I understand this is "just a story" about an unfortunate creature...however, I read far more into it than that. How many are led into doing things they would rather not participate in ? Lives have been lost because of this particular type of weakness, and not just the lives of helpless animals. I am glad you finally loosed yourself from this "demon" you so named Theresa. For she truly is that...a demon. I pray in the future, you find someone a bit more worthy of your following to follow. (If you must follow as oppose to lead) Thank you for sharing this piece....for it has evoked many thoughts from me....I must have been blind to the evil that's really out there.

------------------
~~ Lift your head high - spread your "words" and fly - - poetFemmeFatale

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Dark Poetry #1 » The Mouse (DreamEvil Halloween Prose challenge)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary