navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #26 » Regrets and Heartaches
Open Poetry #26
Post A Reply Post New Topic Regrets and Heartaches Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA

0 posted 2003-05-06 06:32 PM

Regrets and Heartaches

Looking back my greatest failure was my inability
to engage in an honest relationship with my wife
and children...my failure to be open and fair and
sincere...my lack of desire to do everything I
possibly could to make my life and their lives
fulfilled and meaningful.

Looking forward my future always seems to be
clouded by the failures of my past...as if a
merciless hurricane has thrown everything into
disarray and I never seem to know where to begin
to make my failures right again.

On some occasions I have beautiful days until
tarnished thoughts from my past arrive to drive
them away...and then the remains of the hurricane
engulf me again and the pain of regrets and
heartache relentlessly pull me in.

JamesLee
May06

© Copyright 2003 JamesMichael - All Rights Reserved
Patricia
Member Elite
since 2003-04-06
Posts 2160
Missouri
1 posted 2003-05-06 07:01 PM

Oh James.  Honey, there is nothing you can do about the past.  I know that sounds cliche.  But it is true.  Ask for forgiveness from those whom you have hurt.  Apologize for your transgressions.  This is all you can do.  You must move into the moment,  and look forward to the future.   James, I so hurt for you now.  Remember, He came so that you may enjoy your life.  I want you to enjoy your life!

We all have made mistakes.   As humans, we all fall short of the glory.  Forgive yourself.

You will be in thoughts.

-Patricia

just a junkie
since 2003-03-04
Posts 53

2 posted 2003-05-06 07:03 PM

I kept thinking "my past keeps haunting me - it just won't leave me alone"

I am very familiar with these feelings!  Very well done!

Just a Junkie

Cpat Hair
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-06-05
Posts 11793

3 posted 2003-05-06 07:20 PM

James... I think the most personal piece I have read from you... as for the past..sometimes it simply won't die and you can't run from it...so you have to learn to live with it and try not to repeat it.

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
4 posted 2003-05-06 07:34 PM

Thank you Patricia, just a junkie and Cpat hair for your kind remarks.
I try to live in the now and enjoy everyday as much as possible but the past is a persistant pest...thinking of the beautiful opportunities I messed up...thinking of all the time I missed with my boys...time that can never be regained...of course I enjoy good times with them now...but I miss the times lost.  
I suppose a good way to describe my feelings is the regret a person would live with that experienced a serious permanent physical injury...and every day when they awakened they would be reminded of the consequences of that injury...and how many times would they wish they could go back in time and relive that day sans the injury...I feel like my injury is permanent...although not physical but emotionally.  Yes, that is the positive, to learn from my mistakes. Because no one can change the past...and of course it is a scary thought to again ask for forgiveness from my ex-wife because she will probably tell me I am getting what I deserve...there is always a price to pay...James

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #26 » Regrets and Heartaches

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary