navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #6 » On Wells and Temptation (a collab with Kielo)
Teen Poetry #6
Post A Reply Post New Topic On Wells and Temptation (a collab with Kielo) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Skyfire
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-12-27
Posts 3381
Riding

0 posted 2003-01-26 11:03 PM

I want to touch the bottom of you
in your psychadelic well of being.
To know your multi-coloured mind
would draw me into the facets of your personality.
I am afraid to jump; the well is deep
though the waters be delightfully inviting.
I imagine their cool depths washing over me
drowning me in a world of neon lights and pain
that I never knew you hid.
The vision unsettles me, but you allure me still.
I long to tempt my fate, and fall.
Whether or not I would recover is not up to me
but oh how I long to fall.
I consider it, and lean, lean closer still,
nearly to the falling point.
I finally let the music take me and I fall.

^_^ Thanks hun!

© Copyright 2003 Rhonda Adolph - All Rights Reserved
snoduck
since 2002-11-15
Posts 99
Selah, WA
1 posted 2003-01-27 12:07 PM

This is different.  I like it.  Very interesting, with a lot of very nice imagery. I like it a lot.

-Erica-

PoetryIsLife
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-10-27
Posts 1763
...in my boxers...
2 posted 2003-01-27 12:14 PM

You're defiently improving, Rhonda. It's a pleasure to watch. A lovely write.

~Titus

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
                 --Aldous Huxley

Kielo
since 2002-02-11
Posts 1109

3 posted 2003-01-27 12:15 PM

Thanks, Titus!

snoduck, thank you, very much appreciated.  

Kielo

I know only one thing, and that thing is that I know nothing.

[This message has been edited by Kielo (01-27-2003 12:17 AM).]

PoetryIsLife
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-10-27
Posts 1763
...in my boxers...
4 posted 2003-01-27 12:26 PM

My appologies, Kielo, I had forgotten it was a duet of sorts. My compliments to you, as well.

~Titus

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
                 --Aldous Huxley

Kielo
since 2002-02-11
Posts 1109

5 posted 2003-01-27 12:27 PM

*grin* Its ok. I just didn't want to be forgotten. Thank you muchly.

Kielo

Marshalzu
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-02-15
Posts 2681
Lurking
6 posted 2003-01-30 03:50 AM

Great work Kielo and Rhonda, I like it a lot but I want to come back and give it a critique but seeing as it is a collab I thought I had better ask first since, you both might not want that. On the whole it is a very nice read though

Andrew

Kielo
since 2002-02-11
Posts 1109

7 posted 2003-01-30 07:29 PM

I don't mind. Rhonda?

Kielo

Marshalzu
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-02-15
Posts 2681
Lurking
8 posted 2003-01-31 02:16 PM

quote:
I want to touch the bottom of you
in your psychadelic well of being.
To know your multi-coloured mind
would draw me into the facets of your personality.

Great opening though you spelt “psychedelic” wrong, your styles are quite similar so I’m not sure who wrote this bit, but I’m thinking that one of you wrote these first four lines? I’m guessing Rhonda? Maybe I’m wrong but the change in direction after this section seems to suggest that.  I love the imagery though, it’s very well presented though I’m a little bit wary about “facets”, it’s not a word I would have used or associated with poetry, though I guess that is half the fun.

quote:
I am afraid to jump; the well is deep
though the waters be delightfully inviting.
I imagine their cool depths washing over me
drowning me in a world of neon lights and pain
that I never knew you hid.

Now I could be wrong but I think that this is another break in the poem, where either one of you had written it, since I guessed Rhonda wrote the last then Kielo must have written this section, sorry if I’m wrong but it truly seems as though only one person has written this in terms of language.  

I love this section, the imagery is sublime especially the lines “drowning me in a world of neon lights and pain that I never knew you hid.” to me that is just wonderful, the phrasing and the image, well that’s a high point for me. I was a little bit concerned about the “be” in the sixth line “though the waters be delightfully inviting.” to me that didn’t work and I think that “are” is a more suitable alternative.

quote:
The vision unsettles me, but you allure me still.
I long to tempt my fate, and fall.
Whether or not I would recover is not up to me
but oh how I long to fall.
I consider it, and lean, lean closer still,
nearly to the falling point.
I finally let the music take me and I fall.

A kind of a disappointing end, especially with all the wonderful and beautiful imagery that has been thrown about, I read this and I felt that there wasn’t a lot of effort put into the ending which makes me think that you just wanted to get the poem finished, which is a shame as with more work it could have been so much more.

Points that I wanted to raise were that you are repeating “fall” too much, you have used it three times (Four if you include “falling”) at the end of a line within the last seven lines, I doubt that it was more an oversight but it was distracting. Over all I thought that this ending section was a little muddled, coming back to the point about you wanting to get it finished, it’s like you didn’t work together. The imagery in this section was kind of average, certainly nothing compared to what had come before and it felt a little clichéd. As for the language once again I feel it was less of a high standard than what had preceded it, which is a little disappointing.

I guess there is only one thing left to say really, which is that I loved it, brilliant in parts, dull in others but by far one of the best collaborations that I have seen between two poets, it is enjoyable to read. Congratulations to both of you on this piece of writing, I hope to see more of your work and maybe future collaborations?

Andrew

My Violent Bedtime Stories

Kielo
since 2002-02-11
Posts 1109

9 posted 2003-01-31 03:48 PM

You think too highly of me... Rhonda wrote the neon lights and pain line. Thank you for the critique. You affirmed what I had already guessed; that we should write together again. *pokes Rhonda*

Kielo

Skyfire
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-12-27
Posts 3381
Riding
10 posted 2003-01-31 06:59 PM

Thanks Andrew   You flatter me by suggesting that I wrote all four lines of the first stanza, when in fact we took turns with the lines.  
I'll do another collab when my homework gives me a chance to breathe... Monday perhaps (my day off... have it all planned out; homework all weekend, and then Monday off)

Monkey!!

skyshine
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-02-07
Posts 3058
Beneath the northern stars
11 posted 2003-02-02 10:24 PM

I couldn't tell a difference in the lines, your styles obviously work well together! VERY interesting write Rhonda and Kielo!

--Elizabeth

You can sit there and forgive someone until the cows come home, and it won't make a bit of difference until they forgive themselves.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #6 » On Wells and Temptation (a collab with Kielo)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary