navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #6 » No Title ( No Time )
Teen Poetry #6
Post A Reply Post New Topic No Title ( No Time ) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Riley
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2002-07-18
Posts 1038
in the pouring rain

0 posted 2002-09-25 07:18 PM

sparkling goodness
risen in the eye
the unknown is there
hiding behind a smile
i have found it piece by piece

in the heart of my beloved
is a part of my soul
i cry for all the times
wanting to tell you so much
that i did love you
deep down

~*Theres a sparkle in your eye that only i see, and theres a place in your heart where only i wanna be*~

© Copyright 2002 Riley Grant - All Rights Reserved
quietlydying
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-06-10
Posts 935
the wonderful land of oz
1 posted 2002-09-26 03:02 AM

you should really use some punctuation in your piece.

just as every sentence ends with a period, every poem should, or else it doesn't end.

and so forth.

/jen/

so foul and fair a day i have not seen.  - macbeth act 1, scene 3

Masked Intruder
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 Tours
since 1999-05-23
Posts 1231
Near golden sunsets
2 posted 2002-09-26 04:19 AM

I disagree.  Punctuation isn't mandatory in poetry.  Sometimes lacking punctuation adds to the piece and how it can be read.  The absence of punctuation can also add to the mood of a piece.  

In this case, Riley, I like seeing no punctuation.  

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep. -- Navajo Proverb

Riley
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2002-07-18
Posts 1038
in the pouring rain
3 posted 2002-09-26 07:57 AM

Hey! Ok about this punctuation thing, I don't use punctutation in poetry. I never have and probably won't but a couple of times. I just have never written with it and don't find it neccesary and don't feel that I want it in my pieces.
Thank you both for replying!

Riley

~*Theres a sparkle in your eye that only i see, and theres a place in your heart where only i wanna be*~

Local Parasite
Deputy Moderator 10 Tours
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg
4 posted 2002-09-30 07:43 PM

Punctuation can be good but only if you feel it is necessary.  I agree with you that punctuation can be very confusing and often unnecessary.

Personally, I usually don't punctuate my poems at the end of each line.  I use commas, sure, but I am most likely to just let the poem go through.

There are so many other ways to moderate the reading flow, aside from punctuation.  Many poets, like you, use line breaks to decide when a pause in speech should be issued.  I usually use that in conjunction with a meter scheme and patterns in line sizes.

It can be done in so many ways without punctuation.  This piece doesn't require it at all.

I like the brevity of the piece.  You expressed yourself in very short terms, which I'm really not used to seeing from you.  "Piece by piece" and "deep down" are kind of cliche, but other than that, you wrote well.

I'd add a stanza or two in addition to ommitting the aforementioned blips on my cliche radar.  

Nice work, nonetheless.

Parasite

Learn to place poetry before people
Before you place your poetry before the people.
~Andrey Kneller

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #6 » No Title ( No Time )

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary