navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #17 » I Have Two Tattoos
Open Poetry #17
Post A Reply Post New Topic I Have Two Tattoos Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
MARK V SHELDON
Member Elite
since 2001-06-21
Posts 3015
In a corporeal internship...

0 posted 2001-11-15 11:50 AM

(This one is simply an experiment in fiction and roleplaying... -MVS)

"I HAVE TWO TATTOOS"

Copyright 2001 by: MARK V SHELDON

You stare at my tats
like you would a Rorschach Test.

Do you see yourself
in them?

Or do you hope to
find yourself

inside their exposed
revelation?

They're only skin-deep -- not
unlike your gaze.

They'll never tell you
I have only one kidney.

Would you care
to know?

Would that juicy tid-
bit of personal skinny

sway your preoccupation with
them

like you're sucking my
faith in man?

You seem a dog
man, judging by your

lack of discretion.
Would you stare at my

eyes if I told you I have
three cats?

"If you don't ask:  you don't get." -Steve Miller

http://www.davidicke.com/icke/index1c.html

© Copyright 2001 Mark V Sheldon - All Rights Reserved
Sunnyone
Member Ascendant
since 2000-07-06
Posts 5334
Staffordshire, England
1 posted 2001-11-15 12:05 PM

Mark,
I found this to be utterly enjoyable and kept finding more meaning each time around!!!
Great work here!!!

The road goes on forever, the stories never end, and people are the same the world over!

SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
2 posted 2001-11-15 12:07 PM

I have 5 tattoos and people are wierd sometimes...I really really like this very much Mark  
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
3 posted 2001-11-15 12:08 PM

I like this style on you. And the dog/cats  comparison underscores nicely the differences between your characters. You stimulate the reader to fill in many blanks, which heightens the interaction between the reader and the written work.  Very nicely done.
RSWells
Member Elite
since 2001-06-17
Posts 2533

4 posted 2001-11-15 12:18 PM

Considered many times getting tattoo'd. Couldn't find an appropriately profound symbol of such permanence and decided they were police magnets. I have enough problems with authority. This reads of ignorance, intolerance and disrespect. I see the gape ape with an open mouth. Enjoyed.

"Happy people have no history" - French Proverb

Interloper
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-11-06
Posts 8369
Deep in the heart
5 posted 2001-11-15 12:46 PM

I don't have any tattooes but I wear t-shirts with silly saying on them and get the same kind of stares
MARK V SHELDON
Member Elite
since 2001-06-21
Posts 3015
6 posted 2001-11-16 12:13 PM

Hi Sunnyone!  Been a while...  I'm so glad you enjoyed this one -- I was worried as I posted it that it may come across the wrong way...  Thank you for your enthusiastic read & reply.

Hey there, SEA:  Want to know something funny?  "I HAVE FIVE TATTOOS" was the original title for this piece before I rewrote it!  It was a class assignment, actually, where we were to write down two truths and one falsehood on a piece of paper and exchange them anonymously with each other by drawing the slips of paper from a hat.  I ended up with:  "I have five tattoos", "I have one kidney", and "I have three cats."  Quite the challenge to come up with a poem around that...  Well, here's the result.  I decided to change the title to two tattoos for I'm assuming rather obvious implications.  Anyway, kudos to you for doing what you feel is right (regarding your tattoos) and remembering that people will always be quick to judge.  Thanks for the read & reply.

Kacy:  thank you, kindly.  I'm starting to stretch out a little with form since I've been so used to "blocky presentations," and this poem seemed to lend itself to couplets...  I'm pleased that you noticed the different possibilities for the "mad-libs" I left for the reader to have some fun with.

Richard:  Police magnets...  I never thought of them that way, but undoubtedly you're right.  Thanks for noticing the differnet aspects implied herein.

Interloper:     Thanks for the smile.

-MVS

SEA
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
7 posted 2001-11-16 02:18 PM

Mark, that is pretty good  
actually that sounds like a fun challenge,
to have some snipets thrown together and create a poem from them   I can cover my tattoos in the winter, so it's not so bad, but in the summer, i get stared at, like I'm a bad person or something....especially the pinched faced old ladies LOL they look at me like i am such a heathen ROFL...

LngJhnAg
Member Elite
since 1999-07-23
Posts 3508
Boot+Kitty=Poetry in motion
8 posted 2001-11-16 02:21 PM

Mark - Thank God you didn't say you were a Kitty-man - I would've died form shock - lol.  Nice thread in this poem, the way you worked from out to in.  Good writing.
Enchantress
Member Empyrean
since 2001-08-14
Posts 35113
Canada eh.
9 posted 2001-11-16 02:46 PM

I like this Mark!  It intrigues me in some strange way, on some level. LOL...always wanted to get a tattoo...just one litte one, right about ....there, see?  
Hey Sea! What tattoos do you have?
Good writing Mark!
Nancy

~I've loved you forever, in lifetimes before.~

SEA
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
10 posted 2001-11-16 02:52 PM

Nancy, I have a black and white and shades of grey rose on the swell of my right breast
that was my first, then I got a "Thumper" looking bunny on the inside of my right ankle just above the bone, then I got a butterfly, the top is teal and it fades into purple,on my upper left shoulder (on my back), then I got my husbands name in cursive on my upper left shoulder, close to the butterfly, and then my last one is on my right inner bicep, it is a black tribal looking dragon.  

MARK V SHELDON
Member Elite
since 2001-06-21
Posts 3015
11 posted 2001-11-16 03:46 PM

SexSEA, I must say.  

LngJhnAg:  Me, a "kitty man"?  I love all animals, but cats are always nicer to pet when they're in someone else's house -- my dog doesn't think too highly of them...  Thanks for the read and ponder.

Nancy -- hey now...  behave.  I don't want to be a hypocrite, you know...  

-MVS

SEA
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
12 posted 2001-11-16 03:58 PM

well, that's cool, thanks  
Seymour Tabin
Member Empyrean
since 1999-07-07
Posts 31720
Tamarac Fla
13 posted 2001-11-16 04:08 PM

Mark,
Poem and answers all very interesting.

catalinamoon
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-03
Posts 9543
The Shores of Alone
14 posted 2001-11-16 05:06 PM

I like this too, Mark. You do some interesting things with those assignments.
Sandra

MARK V SHELDON
Member Elite
since 2001-06-21
Posts 3015
15 posted 2001-11-16 06:13 PM

As long as it's not boring, Sy...  

Sandra, those assignments have given my mind stretch-marks, you know?  I'm starting to miss my old aesthetic, symmetrical, metered verse, but that "dated style" doesn't seem to fly with my current professor who is very "contemporary."  I guess it's better to be flexible than it is to be annoyed...  and I have learned quite a bit through this course...  (or am I just rationalizing?)  

-MVS

Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

16 posted 2001-11-16 10:54 PM

Mark this is a very cool poem...
the metaphor of the tattoo and the ensuing judgement on appearance worked perfectly to emote the pain and frustation behind intolerance.
If your writing out of your comfort zone it sure dont show my friend...PROOF that the class is worth the time and that youre a talented poet whose pen is up to the challenge of growing  

Ice covers my soul
spirit frozen--heart cold
Still so much about me is raw
So I search for a place to thaw
~
Constant craving has always been

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
17 posted 2001-11-16 11:15 PM

Mark,
This poem does stretch ones mind. But I'm really distracted by SEA's tattoos! May need some advice SEA.  

MyEnchanted_Melody
since 2001-05-30
Posts 1106
across the land of dreams. In your heart, I'd always be.
18 posted 2001-11-17 08:39 AM

Tattoos....!?

Intriguing....and interesting...
I guess they always catch one's eye...

I enjoyed the poem alot with all the interesting comments....and not to forget Sea's tattos...

I'd love to attend a class for your "contemporary" professor.... ...It seems interesting....

Thank you...& good luck with your assignments..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MARK V SHELDON
Member Elite
since 2001-06-21
Posts 3015
19 posted 2001-11-17 12:04 PM

A humble thank you, Janet Marie...  It's not easy to put one's preferences aside and tackle something new head-on, but as I've stated before, change is much more pleasant when we learn to work with it...  (as long as we don't lose perspective of who we really are).  Thank you for your encouraging words.

Larry C., just respect the person beneath them...  

My Melody, yeah:  tattoos!  Not the first topic that would cross my mind for a poem but one full of potential, nevertheless.  It would be most enjoyable to have you in my class, but a word of warning:  one has to put ALL emotional attachment to one's writing away and be prepared to have it hacked to bits -- her premise (though I respect it and understand the potential of its function) I inherently disagree with:  "Good writing is re-writing."  I'm more of the opinion that by the time it reaches the paper, it should be FINISHED.  Of course, that's just my opinion, but that's the way that I prefer to work -- the revisions are internal, and when I know what I want to comit to, THEN I put it on paper, so when I submit a poem, either to my professor or to this site, it almost always is exactly how I want it to be already.  But, like I said, my mind IS getting some stretch-marks for exapanding its potential and opening it up a little further to other possibilities...  ANYWAY, I'm glad you stopped by, as always!  (and thanks for the "good luck" -- I think, ironically, that "luck" may be exactly what's called for...    ).

-MVS

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #17 » I Have Two Tattoos

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary