navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #15 » Willow's Way - A Memory - The 6th Audition
Open Poetry #15
Post A Reply Post New Topic Willow's Way - A Memory - The 6th Audition Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada

0 posted 2001-08-26 05:48 PM

~*~ The 6th Audition ~*~
~ Willow's Way - A Memory ~

I smiled today at a memory.
I remember it like yesterday.
It was was your 6th audition.
That Irish anger fueled the flame of desire
and you were determined to try just once more.
They had said ballet was your forte,
and perhaps this was too much for you.
Too much for you!  We had laughed at that.
After six rejections, two years
of obsession and oozing blisters,
so visible on your heart and feet,
you heaved a huge sigh and exclaimed,
"Okay, my friend now I am ready!"

I took the day off work remember?
so intent on guarding your heart.
I knew you deserved to dance,
you were the best,
but I felt this 6th audition,
would be your last, and you'd need me.
Off we went, two friends arm in arm
ready to take on whatever came our way.
Your hand was wet with nervousness,
as I wiped away your fear with my smile.
I carried your shoes, anxiety, love,
and a heart full of prayer that day,
In a born dancer's bag.

#13 please.
We had laughed about that remember?
The Celtic music stirred memories
of my grammie, your obsession,
and my love for a crazy Irish friend
with a heart of love, and nerves of steel.
I thought my heart would leave my chest,
as I heard your feet pound that floor.
And this time, yes, this time,
you remembered the past 5 auditions,
and you were rigid as a steel girder,
and not the graceful swan
that had walked in that door.
I saw them turn to one another smiling,
and for that second time stood still,
and you like Erin, were goddess of it all.
I knew your wish had come true.
Not by some fairy wand, but by
suffering such visual pain
of constant blisters,
determination, and sure will.

Yes, you did it that day Willow,
Riverdance's stage was now yours,
and hey, hello New York!
2 years of waiting and working,
made your lifelong wish come true.
Now your red hair and spirit soared
as I watched you, and each time I cried.
I would tell whoever was next to me
“That is my friend out front there”,
And after every single performance
you said the same thing,
“This is all because of you girl…
You would not let me give up”.

I never told her I gave up
The day I bandaged her blisters.

This is my friend Jenna (Willow was her nickname).
She passed away this year.

I took this picture the day she auditioned and was accepted as the lead in "Riverdance", a touring Celtic dance group.  She had also been a Prima Ballerina for the Royal Winnipeg Ballet up until this point,
but this was always her dream and she lived it!

~*~ I was just thinking of her today and I am doing these memories for a book for her daughter and son ~*~

~* Thank you for reading this *~

midi: "Lord Of The Dance"

[This message has been edited by Mysteria (edited 08-26-2001).]

© Copyright 2001 Mysteria 1997 - All Rights Reserved
rwood
Member Elite
since 2000-02-29
Posts 3793
Tennessee
1 posted 2001-08-26 06:54 PM

I'm so touched here. I can't believe she's gone. Her picture is of youth and glorious red haired beauty. I love the Riverdance sensations. I had no Idea. So lucky she was to have you, and so lucky you are to have been up close. Such talent, I am very sad for the closure of a great talent and diligent heart. Thank you for sharing Mysteria. So touched.

Sincerely,
Regina

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
2 posted 2001-08-26 07:05 PM

rwood ~ Thank you and believe me, that little monkey lived her life to the fullest, never wasting a minute, and she is still around as she fills up my heart every single day! If you are interested, I dedicated a page to her on my homepage, and you click on that little house there to get to it, and it is called, "Willow's Way" on there, thanks again.

[This message has been edited by Mysteria (edited 08-26-2001).]

Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
3 posted 2001-08-26 07:32 PM

Oh,Mysteria~
What a lovely, lovely tribute of gaiety for Jenna~
How you've captured her spirit in your memory~

What a heart ... what a friend ...
what a beautiful, beautiful treasure to share with her family~

BIG HUGS~
~*Marge*~

~*The pen of the poet never runs out of ink, as long as we breathe.*~
                                   noles1@totcon.com            

ethome
Member Patricius
since 2000-05-14
Posts 11858
New Brunswick Canada
4 posted 2001-08-26 07:35 PM

Exceptional tribute Mysteria, really shows the tender content of your heart!  Such a wonderful vehicle of expression, poetry!   Well done!
Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
5 posted 2001-08-26 08:33 PM

Ah Marge, had the darn CD on, and well yanno, one thing led to another and my heart started to overflow, thank you dear friend.

ethome ~ She is such an easy one to write of, as she shared my life with me, and I think you for reading just one part of it.

Flutterwings
since 2001-07-10
Posts 288
Maine
6 posted 2001-08-26 09:31 PM

Well, Sharon as I wipe that salty tear off of my cheek, I am pleased to meet your loving friend. Such beauty, and not only was she beautiful.... she was loved. To be loved and admired and cared for the way you loved her, makes her the luckiest girl in the world. The memories you have is worth so very much... and for you to share it with all of us.... multiplies the love and treasured specialness.... You mourn with an angelic glow. I know she is so proud of you and she is blowing kisses and a warm friendly embrace to her best friend in the world. What a loving heart you have.
Love and peace Maggie

Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
7 posted 2001-08-26 10:02 PM

Maggie, I was the lucky one, image, how many have a good friend for over 40 years to hang out with and get into trouble with. I have tons of memories, so darn it, I am going to share them from time to time and hope someone treasures their friend as I did mine.  Thank you sweet "flutterby" friend, you are another "angel on this earth" too.  Hugs to you and the family.

~*If you can't say anything nice about someone, don't say anything at all*~ hmmm...they were smart whomever said that!

SmittenKitten
since 2001-06-20
Posts 1131
where the sky and horizon meet
8 posted 2001-08-26 11:07 PM

Mysteria~  What a beautiful and talented person....and gorgeous hair!  Thank you for sharing with us this inspirational piece.  You have shown us a true friendship and two beautiful women.
Hugs,
~Krista

Eloise
since 1999-11-27
Posts 1096
Wyoming
9 posted 2001-08-26 11:30 PM

Mysteria,  this truly is a wonderful tribute to your beautiful friend.
Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
10 posted 2001-08-27 12:27 PM

Smitten Kitten ~ Afraid that is a horrible picture really, she was a beautiful woman, and all WOMAN, and made me proud to be one too. Her daughter will love your comment and so do I, thank you.

Eloise ~ Well I like to call them "Willow Wisps" rather than tributes, as there are tons coming of these.  Some rhyme, some don't but they tell of her life.  So thank you and yes, what we had does not happen often, but I am lucky to have this with another friend as well (*wink to Dawn*)  Thank you for reading this.

Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

11 posted 2001-08-27 12:35 PM

She inspires magic in your pen...
Your Willow Whisps are wonderful sharings
and I know shes proud of the way you celebrate her.
We are lucky to know her thru you....
thank you for sharing her grace and beauty with us.
hugs to you
jm

Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
12 posted 2001-08-27 06:55 AM

Janet Marie, I never thought about calling them Willow wisps, I will have to do that on her page, thank you for that, I love it! Oh, and thank you for bearing with me through this rather long tale.

~*If you can't say anything nice about someone, don't say anything at all*~
My Grandmother, Mother, and now me

Martha Cowan
since 2001-03-08
Posts 240
Groves, Texas
13 posted 2001-08-27 06:56 AM

Sharon...What a lovely tribute for Willow ~ reflective of a determined spirit to embrace her dreams, and fueled by the encouragement and relentless support of you, she realized and lived that dream.  Thank you for sharing this touching dedication, I am certain that Jenna is smiling radiantly with pride from Heaven upon you.  This was simply beautiful!
Hugs and smiles to you, and much love,
~*~ dawn ~*~

Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
14 posted 2001-08-27 07:02 AM

Martha ~ Yup she was a force to be reckoned with alright, but smiling from Heaven, not sure about that one, I think she would be darn mad I am writing about her actually LOL, thanks friend of choice *wink*
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
15 posted 2001-08-27 11:50 AM

Awesome tribute to an incredible dancer from an obviously incredible, wonderful friend. I loved The Riverdance, and can appreciate the blisters of love that Willow endured for the art of her heart.
Decaflame
since 2001-05-11
Posts 1635

16 posted 2001-08-27 11:56 AM

I have seen the Riverdance, have been moved by its music and dancer's spirit...no wonder she lives on in your heart, and thankful are we that you deem it fit to share her with us...

for beauty, energy and courage cannot be denied...

Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
17 posted 2001-08-27 01:21 PM

Midnitesun and Decaflame ~ You would have to "really" love something terribly bad to get feet like those girls have.  To give them all credit I sat backstage one night and saw them bandaging their feet (much like ballerinas but think of the speed at which these feet pound the ground on the "ball" of the foot.  There was one dance (a main one) who had plastic surgery done to implant a plate in his foot of metal to withstand the pain as his love for the art was so strong.  And me...well I have an owie on my thumb right now and you really don't want to be around me!     Thank you both so much for reaading and anyone else who does as I am sure you have guessed by now, I have a purpose to this, and besides doing these make me smile and laugh!  :0 Thanks again!
Tracey
Member Elite
since 2001-08-29
Posts 2808
where insanity meets breeding
18 posted 2002-03-18 12:37 PM

Sharon, this is such a beautiful tribute to her. Thank you so much for posting this link. I read this, having just come back from celebrating St Paddy’s day at my local pub. 2 of the daughters of a friend of mine performed in Riverdance on Broadway, and they performed for us tonight. I wonder if they knew your friend. I wish I’d read this before I went out, for I would have asked them. By the way, this brought a lump to my throat.

If she who dies with the most toys wins, then can I have some toy boys please?

suthern
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
19 posted 2002-03-18 09:00 AM

I'd missed this one... which means I'd missed a remarkable tribute to a remarkable woman... both are beautiful. *S*
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
20 posted 2002-03-18 09:22 AM

Some things are just meant to be revisited...

Bridget Shenachie
since 2002-01-23
Posts 1056
Kansas USA
21 posted 2002-03-20 11:02 PM

Mysteria,

She stays with you and your friendship enriches the lives of all of us who read your poems to her.  Thanks for sharing.  This was a beautiful tribute to your friend.

Shenachie

Enchantress
Member Empyrean
since 2001-08-14
Posts 35113
Canada eh.
22 posted 2002-03-20 11:42 PM

Sharon, thank you for sharing this one with me for I did not see it before....
beautiful woman...Willow...
beautiful friend...Mysteria.

She will live on forever with your Willow Wisps.

Hugs dear lady.

Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
23 posted 2002-03-21 02:07 AM

Thank you for visiting this again.
Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
24 posted 2002-03-21 12:00 PM

Sharon...I'm so sorry I missed this the first time.  Her beauty and heart live through your words..how glorious is the spirit that I see!  
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #15 » Willow's Way - A Memory - The 6th Audition

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary