navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #5 » To my "So-called Parents,"
Teen Poetry #5
Post A Reply Post New Topic To my "So-called Parents," Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Honey
since 2001-10-09
Posts 92
Hot girl From Canada

0 posted 2001-12-05 05:03 PM

You think you know so much about me
But you dont know the half,
Of how I've wanted to end my life
Because of things that are the past

The talents I wish you'd share with me
But you have no time to share,
By the time you get home from work
Your both too tired to care.

It feels as though I ask too much
When I want you to be there,
And when I do something bad
You just shake your head and glare.

For once be a part of my life
I want you both to know I'M NOT FINE!
When I die you will regret
That you never got to see me shine.

You never see how sad I am
You never see me cry,
You never know how much I hurt
Or how badly I wish to die.

So please just lend your hand to me
Hear me fully out,
Help me up when I fall down
Isn't that what parentings about?

It Feels As If I've Always Been Someone On The Outside Looking In.

He Who Laughs Last Thinks Slowest!!

© Copyright 2001 Honey - All Rights Reserved
PoetryIsLife
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-10-27
Posts 1763
...in my boxers...
1 posted 2001-12-05 05:09 PM

Wow. Nicely written. I'm sorry your parents aren't doing what they're here for, to be the best parents they can be. I really do feel for you. Maybe you can take this pain you're feeling and use it to make yourself the best you can be, at anything you do, including being a parent someday yourself. I don't know. But, keep emailing me anytime you want. Good luck, and God bless.  

Sincerely,
Titus

NathanS
since 2001-09-27
Posts 106
CA
2 posted 2001-12-05 07:08 PM

Wow, this was a really really well written poem, and a rather shocking thing to see.
If you need to talk with someone (even if im a stranger) i am more then willing to lend my ear & perhaps my mouth should you want any comments. I am truly sorry of how your parents are, but stand strong and be yourself. Then when you become a parent.. some kids will be very lucky to have a parent like you who will be there for them  

-Dreys
Aim: St0neFerret

cherish
since 2001-03-25
Posts 1639
swimming in fairy floss...........
3 posted 2001-12-05 07:30 PM

oh honey, i hear you loud and clear in this. some parents are as bright as mud when it comes to their childrens feelings *sigh*...i think you should show this poem to them- i think youd find that they would be surprised. a child of any age needs love and attention- if not from friends, then family at least. if your parents arent there for you - then who will be? i really think you should show this to them- let them know how you feel and to show them that you need them. i hoe things get better for you in the future.  

i luve mi con-tray! lyke a big an brown stetch olan wiv losa sun!

branden726
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2000-09-25
Posts 607
Bay City, MI
4 posted 2001-12-05 07:58 PM

Well, I cant really say what I think of this poem tho its not bad what i think but if been through the same thing and everyone here at pip helped me and got me through it though ive wanted to end it all at once to as soon as you look at yourself in the mirror you wont want to that is if you really love your parents and hun just sit them down and tell them how u feel and if it doesnt work keep doing it just dont do nothing stupid cuz you write really good and i actually loved this piece tho it was disturbing
Dark Enchantress
since 1999-07-27
Posts 1258
meet Morgana
5 posted 2001-12-05 08:08 PM

Parents normally try to do the best they can with whatever is being thrown at them. Sometimes you have to beat them over the head before they look up and pay attention. The trouble I had was that when I 'did' speak up or share a piece of myself I was yelled at or scolded for it. I'm getting the impression that you are too. The thing is that they get scared. They don't know what to do or they don't understand so they get scared. And when parents get scared they don't always act the way you expect them to. You expect them to listen to you and try to help, right? Not likely to happen. They'll get frustrated and start looking for solutions even though all you want to do is just have someone listen... someone understand... someone to hug.. right? Parental mentality seems like a whole 'nother continent... you know what I mean? So you kind of need to try to meet them at their "shores" or you need to find a way that helps you that's outside your parents. That's what I ended up doing. I wish I could have grown closer with them by sharing my experiences with them so that we're less like strangers.. but things are pretty good now anyway. And that's what we want right? For us to honestly say that it's alright. Anyway, I don't want to talk forever to you about this here in pip... if you'd like me to email you or if you want to email me... or if you want my AIM screen name then that's fine. I do know exactly how you feel and I think I can help if you want me to. It's all up to you. You'd be surprised some of the things I have experience with... things that I'm not allowed to mention here.

About the poem... I really, truly love your honesty. You talked so openly and straight from your heart. Thank you so much.

"A laughing jolly man plots your demise." - my fotune cookie
I think Santa is plottin' on me.

jaimespoetry.blogspot.com

[This message has been edited by Dark Enchantress (edited 12-05-2001).]

Zukene_Chic
since 2001-09-26
Posts 152
Cali
6 posted 2001-12-05 11:14 PM

This poem is almost the exact opposite of my life. My parents wont leave me alone. Would you like to trade? I'm always here if you need to talk, hun.
TopGunLauren
since 2000-08-02
Posts 718
California
7 posted 2001-12-05 11:25 PM

This is exactly what my last peom was about and I'm dealing with the same thing you are.It sucks when your parents think they know everyhting about you when they don't and it's hard when you parents aren't there for you ever.If you ever need someone to talk to I'm here for you even though you don't know me.But I love this poem and keep up the awsome work I can't wait to read more.
  Lauren

"I just needed someone to talk to you were just to busy with yourself."-Staind

Tara Simms Hall
since 2001-11-07
Posts 87
South Carolina
8 posted 2001-12-06 01:07 PM

It's hard being a teenager, it's hard being a parent too.  Have you sat down with your mom and dad and talked about how you feel?  
AngelPoet87
since 2001-04-21
Posts 280
Indy
9 posted 2001-12-06 06:20 PM

If you haven't already shared this poem with them, I would. I'd do whatever it takes, taping it to the mirrors they get ready with in the morning, or leaving copies all over. Because obviously, something is very wrong here. I think most teenagers can relate to this, and its a shame. Just don't go unheard! Take care, good write.
anonymousfemale
Member Elite
since 2000-02-02
Posts 2797
Limbo
10 posted 2001-12-07 11:51 AM

I do feel for you in this piece but you must also remember that there is no handbook on how to parent a child correctly. They have to do it from what they know and perhaps this is how they were raised. Anyway, keep strong and don't do anything silly, ok? You'd be missed if you did.  

~AF~

Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh my gosh....I could be eating a slow learner.

Fading Away
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-03-14
Posts 3131
Lynchburg, Virginia
11 posted 2001-12-09 08:16 PM

Parents are a pain in the butt, yes... but I'm sure they love you more than you may think they do.  *hugs* Hang in there.  They only want the best for you, I'm sure.
Very well done on this, though.  It was a nice vent!

--Marie

If there's one thing I've learned, it's that the most frustrated people in the world are those who know they're stupid, but keep trying anyway.

SmileyClar
since 2001-11-23
Posts 16
nowhere anymore
12 posted 2001-12-16 03:26 PM

I liked the poem and I can understand. In a time where I needed my parents most, they were gone. I tried telling them how I felt, but they didnt hear. I had no friends to talk to, so I held it inside. Still today. those scars remain.

Now I have friends who are my parents. My friends mean more to me than anything. They feed me when Im sick and are always there for me. I dont know what I'd do without em.

Talk to the people you care about and who care about you (If you're lucky enough to have them). Your parents dont have to be the ones whose genes you carry.

~Smiley - Some of the time
~Clarinet - All of the time!

"O, teach me how I should forget to think" - Romeo

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #5 » To my "So-called Parents,"

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary