navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #5 » Disposable Heroes
Teen Poetry #5
Post A Reply Post New Topic Disposable Heroes Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
knightlyshadows
since 2001-04-14
Posts 791
obscured vision

0 posted 2001-10-31 03:01 PM

They cry out for Mercy
but not a Sound is heard
They give their Life for Ours
but Nobody really sees

They Fight our battles for us
a call for Valored duty
They believe in our Freedom
a Disposable Heroes Justice

“A single choice can build destinies,or destroy them.”

I know Im not perfect but I can smile
& I hope that you c this heart behind my tired eyes

© Copyright 2001 Tiffany Durham - All Rights Reserved
Knight of Secrecy
since 2001-10-12
Posts 113
San Juan, Puerto Rico
1 posted 2001-10-31 03:33 PM

Its not bad, when I saw the title I knew you where copying the title from Metallica's song. I think that a title is not nescesary copying, but I truly  believe that you should try and get better concept. Anyways, its not bad.
knightlyshadows
since 2001-04-14
Posts 791
obscured vision
2 posted 2001-10-31 03:42 PM

actually, i didnt know what it was from. i saw it on the back of someones shirt today in class and never did see the front of it. i saw the name and liked it and thats where the concept of this came from. it's a lil thing called inspiration i suppose.

if a moderator has any objections to the title of this i'll change it, but other wise it's staying the same. *shrug*

[This message has been edited by knightlyshadows (edited 10-31-2001).]

Knight of Secrecy
since 2001-10-12
Posts 113
San Juan, Puerto Rico
3 posted 2001-10-31 04:05 PM

well if you see something on a shirt, don't you suppose that maybe its copyrighted?  inspiration has nothing to do with copying, i guess that its not your fault that you didn't know that it was copyrighted, and that's it. Not to start a disscusion or anything but those are my comments.

xShUgArHiGhx
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-09-26
Posts 3150
tRyIn tO fIt iN2 mY oWn ShoEs
4 posted 2001-11-01 09:59 AM

amazing job

ShE'S nOt ThE kInDa GiRL..WhO lIkeS tO tElL tHe WorLd AbOuT tHe Way She FEEL'S aBouT hErSelf...ShE tAkEs a LiTtLe TiMe In MakIn uP hEr MiNd..

Skyfire
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-12-27
Posts 3381
Riding
5 posted 2001-11-02 12:57 PM

*shrugs* I don't have a problem with it, but maybe one of the others does. Good job!

~I am a computer genius... Hey! How do you turn this thing on?!?

~Love me because I am Rhonda

never_a_princess
since 2001-06-09
Posts 82
Show Me the Money
6 posted 2001-11-04 07:14 PM

oooh...kopy kat...you know that title is all..mine! :P j/k rockin' poem hun! so true, so true! the heroes that seldom get thanked. good job, buddy!
__o0o_Anna_o0o__   *waves*

Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

Attack Ferrit
since 2001-04-09
Posts 41
texas
7 posted 2001-11-04 07:52 PM

im just glad that something good finally came out of metallica, even if it wasnt from  metallica....

good poem by the way, it is very true how some heros never get the thanks they deserve.

if we roast marshmellows over their bodies will their souls still go to heaven?

aim: theattackferrit
email: whenferritsattack@hotmail.com

Spice
since 2001-04-13
Posts 1266
Resting in my cardboard box.
8 posted 2001-11-04 08:18 PM

Erm....Perhaps Metallica got the idea for their title from MArilyn Manson's "Disposable Teens" song...
I mean honestly...Do you know how many different books, songs, stories, poems, movies, plays..etc etc have the same title? A title isn't copywriting at all.

ANYWAY- Twas the title that drew me in, actually. A very nice write...Much enjoyed, not my fav of yours...But it's still a very nice piece. As always, thanks for the read.  

Every now and then I like to stick my foot in my mouth...

Knight of Secrecy
since 2001-10-12
Posts 113
San Juan, Puerto Rico
9 posted 2001-11-04 08:55 PM

Disposable Heroes by metallica was written in 1985. Disposable Teens by Marylin Manson was written in the year 2000.
In my message I clearly said that a title wasn't nescesarily copying, but its unusual.
And yes there have being a couple of books and songs with this title, but none that I know of that was written  before 1985.

Knight of Secrecy
since 2001-10-12
Posts 113
San Juan, Puerto Rico
10 posted 2001-11-04 08:59 PM

[Ron - Extensive lyrics removed because they were ... ]

Written by Lars Ulrich and James Hetfield, Copyright Metallica.

Spice
since 2001-04-13
Posts 1266
Resting in my cardboard box.
11 posted 2001-11-04 09:04 PM

Like the sig says...Sometimes I like to stick my foot in my mouth  ...Though it was just an example...I, myself, am not a Metallica fan by any stretch so I have no clue when their song came out nor did I even know they had a song titled that...Really it was just the point of the matter. Wasn't accusing you of saying the title was copywritten...Could care less actually....Just expressing MY opinions on the subject...I, personally, do not find titles part of the piece of work that is the writing...Just my thoughts though. ANYWAY...Back tot he poem...Again, nice job tiffs.  

Every now and then I like to stick my foot in my mouth...

K. Rebel
since 2001-10-21
Posts 40
San Juan, PR
12 posted 2001-11-04 09:06 PM

Although it might not be copied you must have in mind that Metallica is pretty possesive of what belongs to them, plus I guess if one is to write a poem an adequate title should come from your mind
NathanS
since 2001-09-27
Posts 106
CA
13 posted 2001-11-04 09:43 PM

Ok, first off, i don't believe that titles can be copyrighted. There are numurious books that have the same titles, MANY! I bet that even your name of Knight of Secrecy has been used by someone else somewhere in the world. Inspiration is the key concept of poetry, if there was no inspiration, I don't believe there would be poetry- because thats what it all leads to. Whether the inspiration comes from the back of a shirt, the roof of a house, tv, a person, or whatever- its inspiration none the less, and the words that come from it is what comes from your mind. People also have the same idea in things, have you seen how many poems on love have been written here? How many of those have had similar or the same titles...??
Anyways, good write man!

-Dreys

Knight of Secrecy
since 2001-10-12
Posts 113
San Juan, Puerto Rico
14 posted 2001-11-04 10:04 PM

I agree with K.Rebel brothers in hate. Titles can be copyrighted, and also metallica is  very very,VERY protective of their property. I think that someone in the world  could have used the name Knight of Secrecy, but with the internet database search I did, the only things that came up where mine! I also have a copyright of it since it is a song of mine. Inspiration can come from anywhere but a title should come from the mind, not the back of a shirt, or the back of a label, or what is in the middle of your buttcheeks. I doubt that so many books titled that way exist, and less  that they were written before 1985, maybe several exist, but I doubt that they would be older, or original.
This would be my last post on the subject since its a waste of time disscusing over such a poem when its concept and title is copied!

-C.M.

knightlyshadows
since 2001-04-14
Posts 791
obscured vision
15 posted 2001-11-04 10:20 PM

ok, im hoping everyone will stop bickering because its become something other then what was planned. im sorry to have caused such a disagreement among you all. however, i still think it was taken way out of line. but thats not the point. *moving on...* i hope a mod would be kind enough to close this thread or whatever to keep it from going farther or maybe others could just stop posting.

oh, and *is a chica thankyouverymuch*

sleepymoongirl
since 2001-04-19
Posts 157
bc canada
16 posted 2001-11-13 03:28 PM

wow you are getting really good tifferz *hugz* Scarlet
Godsend_1
since 2001-04-19
Posts 247
great state of illinois
17 posted 2001-11-16 02:12 PM

nice poem hun i really liked it    oh and yea the argument thing is dumb  and for reference song titles arent copyrighted only the lyrics are anywho how yall doing i liked it alot take care all
Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
18 posted 2001-11-18 08:49 AM

Per knightlyshadows' request, the thread will be closed. The extensive lyrics that were posted have already been removed…

It rarely takes a lot of time to research the answer to your questions, guys. It's easy. Check #44 on the FAQ's at the official Copyright Office web site.

"44. How do I copyright a name, title, slogan or logo?"

"Copyright does not protect names, titles, slogans, or short phrases. In some cases, these things may be protected as trademarks."

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #5 » Disposable Heroes

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary