navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #5 » Snowflakes in a Different Light
Teen Poetry #5
Post A Reply Post New Topic Snowflakes in a Different Light Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
chasing rain
since 2001-05-15
Posts 737
Canada

0 posted 2001-09-11 10:57 PM

A lamp light flickers
Blinking perpetuously against the starry cope
Of twilight.
A small child,
Gazes up in wonder
As sky-filled ice begins its decent
Upon her lashes.
Mirrored moon within her eyes,
Dark against her pale skin
Reaching up to catch a falling flake...
Yet returns an empty palm
Slightly damp with frosty dew.
Alas, those midnight eyes
Cloud with maddened disgust
That a simple child like her
Could not hold a snowflake.
And as they kept falling
Floating down in silent murmurs
They teased her,
Dancing here and there
Waiting to be caught.
She wrinkled her nose rebelliously
Already pink with cold.
A tear escaped her gloomy eyes
And froze upon her cherry cheeks.
Towards home, she treaded upon the freshly lain snow
Hopeless of ever catching a crystal dream.
And as she turned away,
She looked back and wondered
Why lamp lights only flicker
In the dark.

=====
Hello to everyone far and wide, here and near...
This one...this poem...has a meaning. You're probably saying: well duh.
Unfortunately, I'm not going to tell you what it is, because I want YOU to interpret it YOURSELF. Think of it as a challenge, aight? ^_^
I'm changing my poetry a bit too. Rather than focus on topics on pure emotion, I'm trying to expand and focus on the actions of people, and how they think in certain situations. I have a challenge for you all (besides the interpretating one). I would like you guys to go to a park or somewhere where there's people, and watch one or two of them (in case they think you're some weird stalker person, watch them indirectly) and write about they do, and about what they may be thinking in their mind. You might surprise yourself with what you come up with...

SURPRISE!!!

haha, okay. Enough of me. I'm going.

-Leah

Va pensiero sull' ali dorate...

[This message has been edited by chasing rain (edited 09-11-2001).]

© Copyright 2001 chasing rain - All Rights Reserved
punkrockerrobin
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-05-15
Posts 1180
Sparks, NV
1 posted 2001-09-12 01:30 AM

rad poem leah i really liked it.
robin

Things I Have Learned I've learned that you cannot make someone love you. All you can do is stalk them and hope they panic and give in

keoni
since 2000-10-16
Posts 850
Up in the mountains in the NFC
2 posted 2001-09-12 03:38 PM

I liked this one.  I didn't pick up on the meaning, must have missed it. I read it literally and I still really enjoyed it. Great job
Jon

"Your anger is a gift"-Rage Against The Machine
"Only God can judge me" Tupac Shakur

Delirious_Smurf
since 2001-08-08
Posts 90
Nothingness,P.R.
3 posted 2001-09-12 05:02 PM

Yeah I took it literal aswell and it was a beautiful poem...very descriptive...I really loved it.

Who you are and who you will be is right in the palm of your hand.

anonymous albert ?
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-03-23
Posts 2979

4 posted 2001-09-15 12:47 PM

..wOW...this is awesome...got some juices flowing in my brain there, sweet dreamer ...well, i have to say this poem is quiet deep...and very well written...i always like reading your work...they are filled with much beauty of nature might i say...and how can i NOT say about the wording of how you discribe them(did what i just EVEN make any sense).. ...HeHe...anyways...enjoyed, as always...hope to see more!  

if i die before i wake...i pray the Lord my soul to take - when thugs cry-

lil_pwheeler
since 2001-07-14
Posts 39
here
5 posted 2001-09-15 05:01 PM

I liked. Dark and very deep. I think I got what you were trying to write.

No one dies a virgin, life screws us all

Spice
since 2001-04-13
Posts 1266
Resting in my cardboard box.
6 posted 2001-09-16 04:50 AM

Hmmm I'll have to come back to you on the deeper meaning of this...(That is, if I remember. :supergrin.) But while I'm here let me just give you one hell of a BRAVO for this! WOW! The description was outstanding, such perfect imagery...Wow! I loved it...

United we stand, Divided we fall.
Never say die.

anonymousfemale
Member Elite
since 2000-02-02
Posts 2797
Limbo
7 posted 2001-09-17 03:35 AM

OK, now my brain is a little too clouded over at the moment to even begin to disect this. However, I will attempt but don't start throwing apples at me if it is all off.  

A lamp light flickers
Blinking perpetuously against the starry cope
Of twilight.

This sounds like a killer description of stars in the sky.

A small child,
Gazes up in wonder
As sky-filled ice begins its decent

A child (obviously) looks up and notices that is has begun to start snowing at night.

Upon her lashes.
Mirrored moon within her eyes,
Dark against her pale skin
Reaching up to catch a falling flake...

The flakes hit her lashes and the moon becomes a reflection for her face. Dark against her pale skin meaning the nighttime has hit her face. There is no light at the moment. Reaching up to catch a flake is pretty self explanitory.

Yet returns an empty palm
Slightly damp with frosty dew.
Alas, those midnight eyes
Cloud with maddened disgust
That a simple child like her
Could not hold a snowflake.

She couldn't catch any of the snow flakes. Her eyes that have the reflection of the moon/nighttime become full of disguest (duh) because of the inability to grasp such an easy thing like a snowflake.

And as they kept falling
Floating down in silent murmurs
They teased her,
Dancing here and there
Waiting to be caught.

These snow flakes are ever flowing, they don't stop. However, they do it in such silence that no one notices they are there. The teasing could be compared with the inability to catch anything forever in life itself. Dancing is a sign of a jest, to parade around inable to be cornered. Perhaps this is the same as a snowflake.

She wrinkled her nose rebelliously
Already pink with cold.
A tear escaped her gloomy eyes
And froze upon her cherry cheeks.

First two lines obvious and the tear escaping I think symbolises the sort of defeat. You can't catch them so so don't bother. tears are usually the last line of defence when you're fighting to catch something. Freezing upon her cherry cheeks could be to say that something as simple as a tear can be pressed against skin but a snow flake can't? Meh...I don't know..lol  

Towards home, she treaded upon the freshly lain snow
Hopeless of ever catching a crystal dream.
And as she turned away,
She looked back and wondered
Why lamp lights only flicker
In the dark.

She decided to stop the attempts and gave up completely. Her crystal dreams are the snowflakes falling from the sky. Looking back she wondered why stars only shone at night. That is a great ending by the way.  

So basically she was trying to catch her dreams falling from the sky, held with the stars or candle light. Overall, bloody fantastic piece Leah. As per usual. *shakes a fist at you*  

Now about this task thing you have suggested, it sounds like a really good idea and I'll give it a go a little later on during the week.  

~AF~

"Who needs enemies,
When you've got friends like these
Caught between me and myself again"
Motor Ace - Enemies

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #5 » Snowflakes in a Different Light

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary