navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #13 » Scars Remain
Open Poetry #13
Post A Reply Post New Topic Scars Remain Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Krawdad
Member Elite
since 2001-01-03
Posts 2597

0 posted 2001-04-01 12:49 PM

Scars Remain

When the pain goes away
you'll forget that you've
been hurt (you hope).

The wounds begin to
heal but the scars remain.

You must be able to
explain the scars.  
                                         Krawdad

© Copyright 2001 Krawdad - All Rights Reserved
VAS
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-11-16
Posts 7450
Oregon
1 posted 2001-04-01 01:49 AM

Fine piece, Krawdad!  Much said in those few words.  Great to see you here.  I've not noticed you around for awhile...is it my timing or have you been galavanting?
1slick_lady
Member Ascendant
since 2000-12-22
Posts 6088
standing on a shadow's lace
2 posted 2001-04-01 03:16 AM

e..........some NEVER heal........& some never believe you any way............& some never admit they caused them.......h

[This message has been edited by 1slick_lady (edited 04-01-2001).]

bslicker
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-12-04
Posts 2321
state of mind
3 posted 2001-04-01 05:17 AM

but then a again ed.... some do..and scars do heal.

Bernie Slicker

[This message has been edited by bslicker (edited 04-01-2001).]

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

4 posted 2001-04-01 09:44 AM

sigh, sigh, (what am I doing here?)  
But I did want to welcome you back--and? Scars? Well the deal is--let the wounds heal--don't pick at scabs--and funny thing about scars, in many tribal nations, not just native american but throughout the world--scars are celebrated as a source of pride, being it is the sign of a successful warrior. The logic being, that if you live to boast a scar, you must have won the battle.
Bigs   to you!

Kethry
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-29
Posts 9082
Victoria Australia
5 posted 2001-04-01 09:53 AM

Krawdad,
I've heard there are some really vicious cats around. Well written.
write on
Kethry

Those of us who refuse to risk and grow get swallowed up by life. Patty Hansen.

Krawdad
Member Elite
since 2001-01-03
Posts 2597

6 posted 2001-04-01 12:58 PM

Greetings to all on this Fool’s Day.  Thanks for stopping by.
I could let this rest as is, but on the other hand . . .
This is the tip of an iceberg, so you may see more of it in one form or another, assuming that I can successfully deal with it before it drifts off into the ocean’s expanse.  
This is about my own experience, in case you were wondering.  It is the minimalist’s compression of a life, at least in this one realm of pain.  It is conversation with myself, mostly.
You can learn to live with the chronic pain of open wounds, like getting out of bed in the morning, something you simply have to do.  But when the cause of the pain dies, it is no longer the open wounds you have to deal with, but the scars.  And you must be able to explain the scars, again and again, if only to yourself.  Healing requires it.

VAS – I’ve been lurking in the shadows, trying to sort some things, exploring an alterego or two, who may be appearing in these pages.

Lady – remember the Phoenix . . .

Bernie – I’ll take your word for it.

Serenity – Hadn’t thought of it as a battle, rather more as survival.  But if you are offering a warrior’s medal of valor, by god, I’ll take it!

Kethry – Mother cats, even . . .

Kraw'

/:-}==
=#===

dgvarner
Member Elite
since 2000-05-13
Posts 3552
High Springs, Florida
7 posted 2001-04-02 12:39 PM

the scars are those of one who has healed..they speak of a battle, won..they ARE your medal...you are the conquerer..wear your scars with pride...
and as far as explanation....the above is all the explanation you need to offer...  

hugs,g

where am i...WHOA! and what am i doing in this handbasket!?!

[This message has been edited by dgvarner (edited 04-02-2001).]

VAS
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-11-16
Posts 7450
Oregon
8 posted 2001-04-02 01:19 AM

Wow! Krawdad, you've have peaked my interests on two counts.  An alterego??? And the way you explain dealing with pain, it's so succinct and profound.  I'd love to copy it and share it with my Hope for Healing group, a Hospice support group.  Okay???? E-mail me, please if it is.
Temptress
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-06-15
Posts 7136
Mobile, AL
9 posted 2001-04-02 01:48 AM

Loved this..especially the ending.  

We're sorry..this heart has been d-i-s-c-o-n-n-e-c-t-e-d. Should you like to hold the line we'll be glad to reconnect you..

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
10 posted 2001-04-02 10:13 AM

Wear long sleeves and long pants and no one will see the scars.....easy for the ones on the outside..but what do we do to hide the ones on the inside? We do what I do, hide completely......
JLR
since 2001-02-04
Posts 1785

11 posted 2001-04-02 03:31 PM

Thanks for this and your explanation.  I love that last line.
Just A Woman
since 2001-03-10
Posts 507

12 posted 2001-04-02 05:24 PM

Ah, one of my favorite writers!      Krawdad, I loved this reflection.   Very very true.   I contemplate those scars and the lessons learned from them.  
Wonderful to see you again.  I've missed your writing.

"I can't remember if I'm the good twin or the evil one."

Lone Wolf
Member Ascendant
since 2000-03-16
Posts 5842
Lansing, MI USA
13 posted 2001-04-02 05:27 PM

Krawdad,

Your words hold many truths within.  I think the wounds heal in time (some take longer than others), but the scars remain forever.  Hopefully though, we can learn from them so we don't repeat our mistakes.  That is the true tragedy.  Excellent!!  

LW

All writing comes
by the grace of God.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Krawdad
Member Elite
since 2001-01-03
Posts 2597

14 posted 2001-04-03 02:05 AM

Thank you all for stopping to read.  Hadn’t expected this response.

dg – you wear what you must, but scars are sometimes debilitating . . . just too deep, just too hard, and maybe not enough time for softening up and lifting out.
Hugs back at ya, e

VAS – Well, I don’t have multiple personalities, at least in the classic sense, but there have been times when it would have helped.  This pain is part of that.  I’ll e-mail ya later.

Temptress – Yes, the ending is the key . . . you have to get to know the wounds . . .

PodeV – I appreciate your comments.  Come to think of it, there was I time when I used a rather obvious disguise . . . and maybe, just maybe, I’m still doing that, albeit more subtly now (my “signature” being a clue).

JLR – Last lines are important.  Glad you liked.  

J A W – WOW!  A favorite? (blush, blush, and his ego starts to inflate)  Thank you indeed!  Wish I could spend more time here.

Wolf – The wounding has stopped, it cannot come again and the healing begins.  Thanks for the “Excellent”.

=#===

[This message has been edited by Krawdad (edited 04-03-2001).]

Tara Simms
since 1999-08-12
Posts 1244
Honea Path, SC USA
15 posted 2001-04-03 12:04 PM

krawdad, this is the first piece of yours that I've read.  I'd seen where you had replied to my poem and I wanted to check out your talents.  I love this poem!  Forgetting doesn't do us much good.  How else will we learn?  Better to be able to look at the scar and tell the story of its existence. My childhood was marked by scars from various falls and stumbles.  My adulthood is marked as well.  Live and learn.  
Rosebud1229
since 2000-04-05
Posts 1813
North Carolina
16 posted 2001-04-03 12:14 PM

well done, Krawdad, I agree with you, wounds heal but there are always scars, I guess sometimes we gain courage from them, and sometimes fear, but hopefully we can learn to begin again, afterall how else will we live but to go on, even the greatest people have made mistakes, In fact in most instances it is through failure that we gain perfection. Just as after a storm the beauty that glimmers is so astounding.
inot2B
Member Elite
since 2000-09-18
Posts 2205
Arkansas
17 posted 2001-04-03 12:31 PM

May I say you have made me think more than I cared to today. So I guess that means you've wrote a very thought provoking piece.

They say the scars can't be seen but I see them very clear for their embedded in my heart and mind.
I've heard you must forgive so you can forget. I can't forget so I guess I'll never forgive.

[This message has been edited by inot2B (edited 04-03-2001).]

Krawdad
Member Elite
since 2001-01-03
Posts 2597

18 posted 2001-04-05 12:31 PM

Tarra,
Rose,
Inot,

Thanks for stopping by and for commenting.

Tarra -- Glad you liked the poem.  We must remember the story.

Rose' --  And sometimes we learn from our own wounds how not to inflict those same wounds on someone else.

Inot' -- The embedded scars, the psyche scars, are the most difficult to live with.  And in this case, as in yours it seems, I will not forgive.

=#===

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #13 » Scars Remain

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary