navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #3 » Le chomage
Teen Poetry #3
Post A Reply Post New Topic Le chomage Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Jose Marti
since 2000-07-01
Posts 374
washing DC

0 posted 2000-09-07 12:27 PM

funds dwindle
gas prices soar…

et moi,
je n'ai pas de travaille.
out of work,
but still won't take the low jobs.
cuz my pride pulls me down,
and sucks away my blood,
completment sans l'argent

Je suis fichu
don't know what to do
totally broke
this ain't no joke

et moi,
je suis besoin
d'un offert d'emploi
je vous ampri,
cuz tout m'argent
just escapes me

© Copyright 2000 Jose Marti - All Rights Reserved
Erin
Member Elite
since 2000-06-15
Posts 2527
~Chicago~
1 posted 2000-09-07 01:04 AM

Jose~~~I dont really understand this one...What is with the spanish then english...Are you translating it for us with the poem???Ohh and I just seen the post you put for the translation of the other one...Keep up the good work!!!

YoU cAn CoMpLaIn CuZ rOsEs HaVe ThOrNs Or ReJoIcE cUz ThOrNs HaVe RoSeS

Jacman
since 2000-06-27
Posts 291
Dwight Il, US
2 posted 2000-09-07 10:07 AM

Jose I got about 88 percent of this one.  Whats wrong with working at Burger King or something.  I did it for two years and was even a manager when I was 17.  OK so it still sucked, but you got to do what you can to survive and get around.  I love the way you made the French ryme(sp?) with the english.  Interesting indeed.

jason

P.S.  Oh by the way Erin;  its French.

Just as soon as I belong, then it's time I disapear...
-Metallica-

Erin
Member Elite
since 2000-06-15
Posts 2527
~Chicago~
3 posted 2000-09-07 01:56 PM

Thanks Jason!!!

Well sorry Jose about the inconvience...I thought it was spanish...

Can anybody tell I only speak english???
< !signature-->

~*YoU cAn CoMpLaIn CuZ rOsEs HaVe ThOrNs Or ReJoIcE cUz ThOrNs HaVe RoSeS*~

[This message has been edited by ERIN (edited 09-07-2000).]

Dopey Dope
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2000-08-30
Posts 11132
San Juan, Puerto Rico
4 posted 2000-09-07 02:29 PM

I liked the poem. See i know all 3 languages (spanish, english, and french).....but i would never write a poem in any language other than english. I like how you do not have the limit that i voluntarily apply to myself. Keep it up jose, me gusto bastante. La belleza de su poema me dio inspiracion para escribir una poema en francais o espanol. A mi no me importa, pero ahora quiero escribir una poema en algun lenguaje que no seas ingles. Chekiamos loco.

I was born myself, raised myself, and will continue to be myself. The world will just have to adjust.

Dopey Dope
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2000-08-30
Posts 11132
San Juan, Puerto Rico
5 posted 2000-09-07 03:19 PM

Hey jose, just for you to take note cuz i forgot to correct you earlier:

In your last stanza:

et moi,
j'ai besoin
d'une offre d'emploi
je vous ampri,
parce que tout mon argent
just escapes me

OK that is the correct way to put what you said in the last stanza in accordance to proper french grammar. I changed the "CUZ" to "Parce que"....just in case. And if you'd like the translation of "just escapes me" in french is : c'a m'échappe.

ok thats just so you know, only for the well being of the poem.

I was born myself, raised myself, and will continue to be myself. The world will just have to adjust.

Jose Marti
since 2000-07-01
Posts 374
washing DC
6 posted 2000-09-07 10:50 PM

Erin~ Don't worry about it too much, happens all the time

Jacman~ thanx, I'm glad you noticed that I wrote tried to make the french rhyme with the english, It was hard to do It took me almost 3 days to do this

I worked at Micky D's for 15 months of my life. It seriously depleted my soul. If fact, I think that I would rather by drawn and quartered for political crimes. here are some reasons why I would sooner starve than repeat the experience

1: angry screaming ghetto customers who are are in truth are only angry because of the low place in society that life has assigned them to. In addition, their kids are constantly deamnding "hook-ups" not asking, but demanding. If you don't consantly risk your job so these loosers can eat a free meal every other day, then you're "fake," they curse and scream, and theaten to beat you down when your shift is over.

2: the knowlege that your mind could be better put to use elsewhere, more appreciated by society, and with a bigger paycheck is a special kind of torment, which grows more painfull the longer you work there.

3: working next to the educated class of the world. they may just be "dirty immgrants," to the everybody else, but they are people too. In fact, their hard work makes our level of luxury possible. In addition, many of them have attended colleges in their own coutries (one of my coworkers even had a master's degree), yet the fact that they don't speak english, (and occasionally, arrived illegally) confines them to such jobs, furthermore the fact that many of them are aware that the US has certain laws ensures that they end up working 12 or 16 hour shifts.

4: wouded pride: the idea of being an employee of a company that in addition to expoiting these immigrant workers like that,
also routinely voilates health laws, is rather difficult for me to bear.

In conclusion, It is far better to have empty pockets than an empty soul.

Dopey~ I try to apply as few limits as possible, I'm trying hard to get good at this poetry thing fast. I've only been writing poetry since June. I like it a lot. I found that always trying to expand your abilities is the best way to do that. I would love to see you post poetry in other languges, i think that you're a great writer.

about the last line, I did that on purpose so that it would rhyme, but originally I had written it as "tout m'argent vient de m'échapper," (all of my money just escaped me)

Thanx for all of your replies!

StarPryncess17
since 2000-05-31
Posts 932
Colorado
7 posted 2000-09-08 11:11 AM

Nice one Jose!! I loved! I didn't get all of it for the simple fact that lil Jessica is only Bilingual. hehehe. At any rate, it sounded awesome when I readt it out loud, although I'm sure I butchered the pronunciation of plenty of the words. Thanks for sharing!!Hope to see more!
Love Always
~*~Jessica~*~
< !signature-->

If aLl My FrIeNdS JuMpEd OfF a BrIdGe, I WoUlDn'T JuMp WiTH ThEm BeCaUsE I'd Be At ThE bOtToM tO CaTcH ThEm.  

[This message has been edited by StarPryncess17 (edited 09-08-2000).]

Dopey Dope
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2000-08-30
Posts 11132
San Juan, Puerto Rico
8 posted 2000-09-08 06:36 PM

Jose thats cool. I was tryin to help just in case. Well I been writing ...well i started in 7th grade and only wrote about Football hahaha...stopped for 2yrs....and then continued in 9th grade and havent stopped. Now im a senior in highschool with some college life experience and....yea....tri-lengualed......just trying to use what i know to help. Loved the message of the poem. Keep writin bud!

Jose Marti
since 2000-07-01
Posts 374
washing DC
9 posted 2000-09-09 01:55 PM

Pryncess Jesica~don't worry too much, Be glad that you are bilingual, some people are not even that. Most people in this country only speak one language.

Dopey~ what kind of college experience do you have? By the time I graduated HS, I had plenty of college experience.(I got to start college almost as a sophmore)

Jose Marti
since 2000-07-01
Posts 374
washing DC
10 posted 2000-09-10 02:53 PM

Ok, full English version, it doesn't sound as good, but Here goes:

UNEMPLOYMENT:

Funds dwindle,
gasprices soar,

and me, I don't have a job
out of work
but still won't take the low jobs
cuz my pride pulls me down
and sucks my blood.
Completely without money

I'm screwed
don't know what to do,
totally broke
this ain't no joke

and me,
I'm in need of
a job offer
please I'm begging
cuz all my money,
just escapes me.

Jose Marti
since 2000-07-01
Posts 374
washing DC
11 posted 2000-09-11 11:44 PM

I posted the full english version, and I wanted some people to see it, although it does not feel as intense without the French.
Lakewalker
Member Elite
since 2000-08-05
Posts 3289
On the streets w/ people
12 posted 2000-09-12 07:46 AM

I liked it better with the French (I can understand enough of it up there ), but it's still great.  
!!!
since 2000-08-12
Posts 137
VA (U.S.A)
13 posted 2000-09-13 06:10 PM

This poem captures that kind of life really well, i must say.
Me personally, i feel that if you start off at consumer service jobs (as i foolishly call them) you get a feel for what people are like in general, and how to work with certain types, and such. Anyway, good poem, keep up the good work.

Erin
Member Elite
since 2000-06-15
Posts 2527
~Chicago~
14 posted 2000-09-13 06:18 PM

Jose~~~With what you said about working at McDonald's...I worked at Burger King for 8 months and was it hell...Just like you said there were ghetto customers that demand being "hooked up"...And it was like go get a job...LOL I am happy to see that you translated it into english...Oh and sorry about that mistake!!!

~*If I was to die & could be 1 thing I would be a tear born in your eyes live on your cheeks and die on your lips*~

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #3 » Le chomage

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary