navwin » Archives » Dark Poetry #2 » Invisible Woman
Dark Poetry #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic Invisible Woman Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
catalinamoon
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-03
Posts 9543
The Shores of Alone

0 posted 2000-06-21 11:23 PM

Obscured from humanity,
I go about my life.
Unseen, unheard, and so painfully
untouched.
Invisible to those
who surround me.
I wonder why it hurts so much?
I don't even like
most of them.
Not so long ago,
I was visible.
I clearly recall it.
People smiled as I passed by.
Men held doors open,
there was an occasional shout
from a passing car.
Yes, I was noticed.
Given admission to the world
of youth.
It came so suddenly,
this absence of acknowlegement.
I believe it was the day
I turned 42.
Poof-you're gone.
No longer a viable
option.
Invisible now,
or at least fading fast,
I have to object.
I am still me.
I deserve to be seen.

© Copyright 2000 Sandra - All Rights Reserved
kynder
since 2000-04-11
Posts 537
Tallahassee, Florida
1 posted 2000-06-21 11:31 PM

oh yes, moongirl!! you do deserve to be seen.  this is excellent work here!! i hear your anger, your defiance to be heard.  keep it up.  shout if you must.  i love your rhythym in  your writing.  you have a natural poetic flow.  i am soooooo glad you have joined our dark, yet lightfilled, circle!!!  

kynder

A woman to a man is
But a mere chapter,
But a man to a woman
Is an entire book.--
Kynder Howell

DJLI
since 2000-06-21
Posts 237
TN, USA
2 posted 2000-06-22 12:23 PM

how true this is! And how angering as well! This really kicks...your words are great
Hardrock
since 2000-02-14
Posts 948
New Hampshire, USA
3 posted 2000-06-22 12:49 PM

I'm so glad I came here...and that you did too.  I wonder what path my life will take tomorrow...now that I have read your poetry.  This one speaks to me just as I'm sure it does to many women......men become invisible too.....that's why we buy bright red corvettes and wear shiny gold things as we age...to try to attract that one last bit of attention, so we don't just disappear.  Loved it....Hardrock
Jeremiah Johnson
since 2000-06-08
Posts 1223
Brooksville, Fl, U.S
4 posted 2000-06-22 01:34 AM

gee i'm only 17 and already not seen IT bites i know. but i guess because i write how much and about what i do that comes from the heart most people don't understand me. but good verse here i voted and love it. take care.

I'm a dying romantic and when i can no longer write i can no longer live -Jeremiah Johnson-

Joel the wolf
since 2000-04-06
Posts 1333
Angels Camp
5 posted 2000-06-22 10:25 AM

Catlinamoon, god I love your name. it's great, as is this poem. a wonderful piece on aging, and women.
yes the icon of hoot calling young girls does leave us with a distaste on just what we call beauty in a soul.
But not I kid. I've never hoot called, and I open doors for all.
loved the poem.
I voted also.

Joel

I howl a mournful song, that echos within my chambered heart, for all to read? nay for all to feel.

Honeybee
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-26
Posts 5372
Ontario, CANADA
6 posted 2000-06-22 06:02 PM

So much said here!  It's a sad truth indeed that with middle age comes less flattery. Unfortunately society favours youth and will in a sense scorn the woman who dares to age, however, have you noticed that men are allowed to age, they are seen as dignified and wise but older women are seen as unattractive walking corpses?  That ideal placed on women is unfair.  I'm only 21, but I do understand where you are coming from in your poem.  Yes, you deserve to be seen for the beautiful person that you are, age should make no difference, but tell that to society.  Very well written.  I guess it's true that you don't know what you have until it's gone  

Take care,
Melissa Honeybee  

[This message has been edited by Melissa Honeybee (edited 06-22-2000).]

Isis
Member Ascendant
since 1999-09-06
Posts 6296
Sunny Queensland
7 posted 2000-06-22 06:25 PM

Yes it's true, as you age men and people in general notice you left.  People do tend to look at the outer (visible) package instead of seeing the beauty of the inner package.  It's kind of like a cycle when you are 60 it changes again, then no one gets up for you on the bus, people in shops serve you last and usually less gracefully.  It witnessed it with my mother many times.  We have a saying in Oz 'Greypower' more strength and kindness to them, I wish there were...
Wonderful thought provoking read and I put a tick in for book submission this is a pearler!!  

I'll tell you this...... No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn.....
~Isis~
(Goddess - Sovereign of the Spirit)

Deborah1
since 2000-06-22
Posts 653
New Hampshire
8 posted 2000-07-03 07:25 PM

I remember the first time someone dared to call me ma'am...I didn't answer because I didn't know it was ME...Oh my God...yes that invisible feeling, lost in the shuffle, the young men still wave going by in cars because its too fast for them to catch my age??? Loved this one!!!
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Dark Poetry #2 » Invisible Woman

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary